PDA

View Full Version : sanding tubbed gear no thanks

kentish plasterer
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
was told to use joint cement on a job (BG) stuff
dont like it. Sanding all day not like easyfill
used up 3rolls of tape and a tub of joint cement.
whats the best mud to use then lads on taping
i like mixing my own gear so bagged gear will be the best for me?

the_legend
02-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Bg joint cements is what i use it usualy sands ok unless you leave it to bake solid for a week.
Try the lafarge gtec thats quite soft sanding and leaves a nice white finish.

kentish plasterer
02-11-2010, 03:10 PM
thanks mate ill try it next time im taping

DMC
02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Another vote for the Lafarge g-tec,really easy to sand.

TonyM
02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
If you used the yellow/white tub BG joint Cement, then you'd need a grinder, not a sander.
BG Quicksand is nice if you can get hold of it.

Tredelerch Taping
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
G-tec Smartmix or if you have to use BG,then use the bags and add a little Fairy Liquid.The lemon smells great too.

cleveland steamer
02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
usg/sheetrock blue top.the dogs bowlocks.

walls and ceilings bagged joint cement was good when i used it.although tends to thicken up randomly.

bg joint cement is pretty good.bagged powder that is.ready mix is truly horrific.

Goodmanatee
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
lafarge gtec smart mix. comes ready mixed in tubs. Really easy to sand (puppy dog poo). consistancy not as good as BG cement, quicksand to many air holes.
Does anyone have any tips to get rid of them?

TonyM
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
lafarge gtec smart mix. comes ready mixed in tubs. Really easy to sand (puppy dog poo). consistancy not as good as BG cement, quicksand to many air holes.

I don't get air holes in it.

saleen836
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes, when you mix it up leave it to stand for approx 20mins or longer if possible, another quick whisk to get it to your desired consistency before you use it and there should be no problems with air holes (if that isn't the problem the only other thing I can think of is your applying a 2nd coat of quicksand on to a coat that isn't properly dry?!)

TonyM
02-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I normally mix up a couple of tubs before I go home, ready for the next day.

E.K Taper
02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
G-tec Smartmix or if you have to use BG,then use the bags and add a little Fairy Liquid.The lemon smells great too.

Is this to make it easier to sand or purely to make it smell nice???

E.K Taper
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Dont use BG tubs, they are a nightmare to sand. BG bags are good but as long as you sand it within a couple of days. Our subby has recently switched to ready mix tubs of Knauf and they are really easy to sand

Tredelerch Taping
03-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Easier to sand,but mix it the day before like Tony says.You can mix it thick and thin it down the follwing day,
Any of you remember when you could mix a black plastic dustbin full of BG and just keep topping it up,leave a bucket for week now and it starts to rot,turn black and stink?Mind you i've still used it and goes back white.

Goodmanatee
03-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't get air holes in it.

Sorry my bad. I ment the gtec has air holes not the bg gear.

turrican_007
05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Sorry my bad. I ment the gtec has air holes not the bg gear.

1/2 Cup of water and power assisted box, that gets rid of the bubbles.

Adam Colley
12-12-2013, 09:35 PM

I am joiner and only do this everynow and again. But when I used smart mix on the second coat when doing the corners it formed into little clumps as if it had already dryed?

I try'd everything sanding before the second coat then cleaning it so there wasn't any dust. cleaning it with a sponge. watering the mix down. I checked the date and it was fine. I mixed it incase it was settled.

There wasn't any lumps in it before I applied it.

Any ideas? Cheers Ad

E.K Taper
13-12-2013, 09:22 PM
I take it you mean the internal corners? When flushing these by hand it can tend to 'drag'. The more times you go over it, the worse it gets. Thinning it down does help. Maybe you could try one of those internal corner knives , you know the 90degree ones? A tenner will buy you one. It will give you a good finish without having to go over and over it causing it to drag

http://www.wickes.co.uk/trowel-corner-inside-dry-wall-durasoft-m/invt/226035/

edit: I see this one is 14:99 but you'll get it cheaper elsewhere