PDA

View Full Version : knauf equivallent to usg's pro spray

mik mpd
05-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I was just wandering if anyone knew if Knauf did a similar system to USG's pro spray? Ive never really used knauf products but have been using usg's for the past few years and find them great but a job im quoting for is stipulating knauf products!!! im particularly interested if they have a similar product to the tuff hide finish. I've checked there website but not really found it helpful, just thought id ask here before i give them a call, thanks.

mik mpd
07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I've found this bit of info but it doesnt seem to be the same finish as the usg system using Tuff hide i.e painted finish, this system seems to be just a plastered finish ready for painting. Have any of you lads on here used this stuff, any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

http://www.knaufdrywall.co.uk/files/HMKTGTRatnamLiteratureKnauf_Readymix_Plaster.pdf

DMS
29-12-2010, 08:32 PM
knauf airless is very similar in composition to usg, runs the same sands the same, finishes more or less the same. the only real difference is knauf does not offer a product similar to tough hide,so you do not get the hard paint finish. no reason you could not use tough hide over the top (if usg lets you which they may not, as they would rather keep it proprietary). feel free to contact me for details i have a fair amount of experience with both.

mik mpd
30-12-2010, 09:47 AM
cheers for that dms, i did manage to find out a bit more about the knauf airless in the end, we saw a demo at a trade fair in coventry, it looks good stuff and didnt seem as wet at usg's prospray when troweling it off, also didn't seem as soft and chalky as the prospray when it dried. The main problem we had was getting samples to site to try, knauf weren't very helpful it took about three weeks for them to send two bags out. Thankfully Usg got us samples straight away and eventually the client decided they'd rather go with Usg, thank god!!! I think it was the Tuff hide that sold it to them, it never fails to impress people. Usg also have a different product to the prospray it comes in tubs rather than the uncontrollable bags!! It has a very similar texture to the knauf gear seems a bit tougher but still as easy to sand.
I noticed on your site that you sell the kraft squeege trowel, looks the same as the "magic trowel" the yanks sell, just wandered how good it was and if you used it yourself for flatting off after spraying? thanks

ross boy
03-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey DMS & all finish trades, I just spent two days with Knauf "On-site team" working with the air less spray plaster system. Im a sub contractor for the main dry lining company ready to start 300 flats with this system. I have a few questions, can you help with some answers? They ask that ceilings be taped with paper, flats & All internals but scrim can be used on walls? Im thinking of using joint cement on my internal corners, that way I can tape, roll them in and use the 2" finish head (Tape Tech tools) in one go, would this save me time or make more work? (All board is tapered edge) All flat joints, screws and corner beads to get one coat of filler? We completed the "show flat" and I can see where corners can not be cut. This stuff is sprayed on very thin. I have 20 years in the drywall game and am very impressed with this system. Any advice you can pass on would be much appreciated, Cheers.

mcfc
06-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey DMS & all finish trades, I just spent two days with Knauf "On-site team" working with the air less spray plaster system. Im a sub contractor for the main dry lining company ready to start 300 flats with this system. I have a few questions, can you help with some answers? They ask that ceilings be taped with paper, flats & All internals but scrim can be used on walls? Im thinking of using joint cement on my internal corners, that way I can tape, roll them in and use the 2" finish head (Tape Tech tools) in one go, would this save me time or make more work? (All board is tapered edge) All flat joints, screws and corner beads to get one coat of filler? We completed the "show flat" and I can see where corners can not be cut. This stuff is sprayed on very thin. I have 20 years in the drywall game and am very impressed with this system. Any advice you can pass on would be much appreciated, Cheers.
Hi used knauf spray finish(gold...something i think) a few years ago when i could not get any alltek,pretty good stuff. We would do it pretty much how you explained but with metal beads and all paper tape,i would use one of the harder joint cements rather than the easy sand materials(lafarge or bg yellow,definately avoid wondertex ultralight for internals it did not seem to like a couple of coats on it)