PDA

View Full Version : Electric drywall sander

JPxTPxMP
16-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm absolutely convinced we should be using orbital sanders now due to health and safety reasons. I had a go on a flex girafe and now know where i would love to stick the sanding pole, :censored:dustmasks and hand sander. It didn't mess around and I especially noticed the difference with no dust falling on my face while doing the ceilings.
Can i please have some tips on what to buy, what to avoid, bargains available and what is the best type of vacuum to have. I have a choice of at least 2 sanders, the flex and porter cable and would prefer to get the best one.

admin
16-03-2009, 01:34 PM
drywall sanders :fing02:

TonyM
16-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Flex is the European branded version of the Porter Cable. PC is owned by black & Decker. There are slight differences in the sanders though. The PC, although 110v has a Hertz rating for the US which is different to that of the UK, and will spin faster in the UK, but will burn bushes quicker. Gyproc have started making a drywall sander, similar to the Flex but more powerful. Tried a mates the other week and it is better than my Flex. Cheapest i've seen the gyproc one is here http://www.dry-lining.co.uk/product/Gyproc_Power_Sander_Pro_425709. My mate paid £350 plus vat, but he lied to the merchants about what he had been quoted by the competition.
Festool make a dogs bolx sander but it's expensive and rips the shit out of the boards.

And the Vezos Handy Sand is a pile of poo.

amestaper
16-03-2009, 11:02 PM
We use a Flex Giraffe connected to a Nilfisk wet and dry vaccuum. Used for about 4 years and other than wear and tear we haven't had any grief at all. (thats the kiss of death now) Other than the usual on/off switches there is a motor speed wheel on the sander and an automatic sensor on the vacuum that powers it all down once the sanders been turned off. It claims the filters are self cleaning if you pump a button up and down but thats a barefaced lie, better to take them out and knock them.

It comes to pieces easy enough and the sander packs away nicely in a shoulder bag with a pole and cables after every job. The dust is kept to a minimum and our job is sanded in a least half the time using the old "20th century method :p". Sandpaper is expensive, so better buy in bulk and take advantage of some discount. We use both the yellow 120 grade stuff and a purple colour mesh style sandpaper we picked up from wet n drywall.

Don't throw away the poles yet, these machines are magic at dusting down the square meterage but cant get into internal corners and ingoes properly.

In my opinion, these are the best working tools I have and I never dread sanding now.

the_tapeinator
19-03-2009, 06:58 PM
God bless electricity!!!!:headbang:

amestaper
19-03-2009, 07:04 PM
God bless electricity!!!!:headbang:

Hallelujah, I'll second that! :lmao:

geordieboy
30-03-2009, 08:38 PM
i would personally go with porter cable ,i use the sander with the porter cable vaccum. i got it when the pound was great against the dollar from america 2 years ago and have had no problems with it i have also used the flex model and there is just no comparison

belmoreboy
27-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Tony

Festool released soft pad for sander as you say it was ripping the hell out of boards - seems to have made a big difference and all festools we now sell come with soft pad version on the head.

Still sell flex in good numbers - but not porter cable anymore as Tony says the brushes, motors idler gears and shaft won't last five minutes if abused and ran for longer that 30 mins at a time, the flex runs slower so not so many issues. Watch this space for new flex being released soon (very nice bit of kit) just awaiting 110v and pricing. (Picture attached)

amestaper
27-04-2009, 04:35 PM
I like it! Is that shorter than the current giraffe version?

TonyM
27-04-2009, 07:07 PM
That new Flex looks like it extends.
Had a mare of a day today. The switch packed up on my Hilti hoover, so I went to Brandon Tool Hire to get a vacuum for the day. Had to hire a huge extraction unit plus a 32 amp transformer at a cost of £76. Robbing bastards.
Would have been better to drive 60 mile round trip to fetch my spare one.

belmoreboy
27-04-2009, 10:07 PM
yeah its extendable will get somemoe snaps up when ive got one in my hands soon.

ps tony think i need to get into hiring sounds like easy money!

willis
25-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I've been using the Porter Cable for about 6 years now and I've hand many problems - most annoyingly the drive shaft keeps snapping every 60 secs :mad:! Any tips on how to reduce this - or is it just inherent witht he machine?!

Like the look of the Flex. I might have to invest in one. Before I do i'm going to do a search via this forum to see if there is any feedback from users.

TonyM
25-05-2009, 08:35 PM
The current Flex sander is fine. Not as powerful as the Porter Cable but does the job.

belmoreboy
26-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Willis

Just wondering what colour driveshafts ypu keep buying? we have new style porter cable shafts (black) bit thicker that original spec universal PC877728 anodised. They seem to last a bit longer than gold spec, but the drive shaft in both porter cable and flex is the weak point.

In my opinion and feedback from what we sell everyday and use ourselves on site, at this time - the festool with soft pad (must use soft pad) is the only sander on the market that shouldn't let you down on site with silly little things like shafts idlers & switches etc.

The new flex will be a really good thing if only to stop festools market share and keep prices down for the end user.

belmoreboy
26-05-2009, 08:03 AM
just had some more pics sent to me from rep.

The detachable head look really good idea, only have the hand angle sponges - flex edge or speare 3 in 1 corner sanders at the moment, this should make life easier!

Just need sander to play with !!

amestaper
26-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Everything about it looks like an improvement over the mark one model, how much do they retail for?

belmoreboy
26-05-2009, 04:39 PM
No t gonna be cheap - i will shock you all in a couple of days when i get full details of kit specifications

amestaper
26-05-2009, 04:47 PM
No t gonna be cheap - i will shock you all in a couple of days when i get full details of kit specifications

Didnt think they would be and may consider one if they're under £500, otherwise my old one will have to break first. Cant find any reviews, are they released in the States yet?

belmoreboy
26-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Ive been informed that for once were getting it first before usa, which is nice! :fing02: Hoping it;s gonna be around the £500 mark but with the euro rate against the quid looks unlikely.

amestaper
26-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I've just found one here (http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/FLEX_WST700VV/flex-wst-700-vv-vario-plus-giraffe-wall-and-ceiling-sander-110-240-volt/). These are very pricey, I got my old one with the vacuum for less than that.

belmoreboy
26-05-2009, 04:57 PM
You cant actually buy it in 110v uk spec yet so should be fun for them if they sell one!

amestaper
26-05-2009, 05:01 PM
You cant actually buy it in 110v uk spec yet so should be fun for them if they sell one!

I guess they'll just have to find that out the hard way cos I'll not be telling them. :D

admin
27-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Alex, regarding that link you posted. At £1031 I would expect it to sand the job itself and give me a phone call to come and pick it up when its finished. :eek: Have you got a ballpark figure on costs Belmoreboy?

willis
27-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Willis

Just wondering what colour driveshafts ypu keep buying? we have new style porter cable shafts (black) bit thicker that original spec universal PC877728 anodised. They seem to last a bit longer than gold spec, but the drive shaft in both porter cable and flex is the weak point.

Thanks Belmore. I use the gold/brass one. Saw the black one on your stie - was not sure if it was the correct bit - but thanks for clarifying.

The new flex looks good.

However, it is a bit pricy indeed. Think i'll have to ask Gordon Brown for a loan :) - but not sure he can spare much cash at the moment considering the banks have robbed it :p

willis
27-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Alex, regarding that link you posted. At £1031 I would expect it to sand the job itself and give me a phone call to come and pick it up when its finished.

... and make me a cup of tea whilst i inspect the work!! :p

Lightrock
28-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I have seen 2 power sanders on sites over the last 7 years.. ever. Finally saw one fellow using one last fall, and his finish was a bit rough. if i see someone using one well I will be more tempted, since I often want to chuck the sanding pole. It's a world of pole and hand sanding here I think. All Wall pushes the Jostens flowthrough pad and sanding disks, can anyone comment on that? is it superior to Porter Cable's own product?

belmoreboy
28-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Lightrock

Do you mean Joest superpad p or power pad that fits the pc7800 sander?

Lightrock
28-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh right Joest. I hadn't looked that up but yes i mean the
"Joest useit® PC7800 Interface Pad" and the "Joest useit® Superpad Sanding Discs "

How are they? is the finish comperable to a polesander? Do they need a little more checking out?
Is there power sander that can be trusted with inside corners?

dryliner8
31-08-2009, 09:10 AM
any tips on what vacuum to get with the sander? never bothered with electric before as our labourer always did the sanding!!

TonyM
31-08-2009, 01:21 PM
any tips on what vacuum to get with the sander? never bothered with electric before as our labourer always did the sanding!!
I've got the new Hilti VCU 40. It's the dogs nads.

belmoreboy
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Tony

Never seen that vac in the flesh - its a spit of the festool SRM 45 - does it have autoclean and power take off and what sort of price did you pay if you dont moind me asking!

The Festool SRM 45 vac is amazing bit of kit just too darn expensive. (they say you get what you pay for! and German technology) But im starting to wonder if Hilti make it for em !!

TonyM
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Tony

Never seen that vac in the flesh - its a spit of the festool SRM 45 - does it have autoclean and power take off and what sort of price did you pay if you dont moind me asking!

The Festool SRM 45 vac is amazing bit of kit just too darn expensive. (they say you get what you pay for! and German technology) But im starting to wonder if Hilti make it for em !!

The filter vibrates and clears itself every 15 seconds. It's £420 plus vat direct from Hilti generally. If you push them you can get one for £380 plus vat. I have the 110V take off model. You can use HD black bin bags with it too to save £5 a time on paper ones.
I've got mine on the new Hilti fleet Management system. Fully maintained, pat tested whenever you want, no carriage, and next day replacement if it breaks, for £14 a month.
You are correct that the Festool machine is just a grey and green Hilti.

dryliner8
12-09-2009, 06:35 AM
has anyone used the bg electric sander? just found one on a website £399+vat.
i'm thinking if it's bg it must be ok

TonyM
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
A mate of mine has one and it's a good sander.

belmoreboy
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Anyone Tried Mirka Sander?

coastaldrywall
12-10-2009, 04:07 PM
i have the Alto Attix vacum which is the same as the hilti one me thinks, so i presume that Alto produce the machine for Hilti

amestaper
12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Same here. Never had any problems with it

wolfy379
25-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm absolutely convincd we should be using orbital sanders now due to health and safety reasons. I had a go ona flex girafe and now know where i would love to stick the sanding pole, :censored:dustmasks and hand sander. It didn't mess around and I especially noticed the difference with no dust falling on my face while doing the ceilings.
Can i please have some tips on what to buy, what to avoid, bargains available and what is the best type of vacuum to have. I have a choice of at least 2 sanders, the flex and porter cable and would prefer to get the best one.
hi i have the flex one and its great, paid about £750 with hoover from walls&ceillings, you still need to sand internals by hand though, just a quick flick over, most sites now require yiou to use electric sanders anyway hpoe this helps

jimbo1873
30-10-2009, 07:22 PM
just had some more pics sent to me from rep.

The detachable head look really good idea, only have the hand angle sponges - flex edge or speare 3 in 1 corner sanders at the moment, this should make life easier!

Just need sander to play with !!

this looks like just the job would love some feed back on it how do people find it
:confused:

markyk1
12-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Wow love the look of this!
Flex WST 700 VV Vario Plus Giraffe® Wall & Ceiling Sander

Will it be the one!! i have the old giraffe and swear by it. Bought a new pc sander driveshafts broke 3 times with out hardly sanding a room. Had 5 in my giraffe, remember sometimes you must replace the casing otherwise the new shaft will just snap again. Black shafts (portacable) seem to be better. The gold ones never seem to last. Hopefully the boys at flex have got it right this time and this will be the doggs of the sander. Any one that has bought this please contact me as im dying to know what its like and my invest! thanks:fing02:

coastaldrywall
13-11-2009, 04:23 PM
i used a porter cable the other week, and have to say that the Flex is far superior, the only other one i would happily get a second mortage fr would be the Festool one

belmoreboy
17-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Just a quick update - the new flex in 110v will be released to uk shores in Jan 2010 - got myself on the list so will get some feedback once ive destryed iyt for a week or so !

Cheers All

swazi
21-11-2009, 01:26 PM
This has been a very interesting thread, especially as I'm about to buy my first ever electric sander. It absolutely has to be done. I have been warned not to go anywhere near a fox sander (cheap though) and have been looking at the other options. For me it seems a Festool is going to be the best, especially the way it breaks down into a nice little carry case.
I do however have a few questions. I can only afford to get the sander/midi vacuum combo, is this going to be good enough for fairly heavy use? I hope to be sanding about 400 sq meters a week, what used to be very hard work with a pole and radius 360.
Alternatively, could I and should I consider a different vacuum and would they hook up to the festool planex sander? I did read about the Hilti vacuum and this could be a better alternative.
About vacuum bags, are they brand specific, or are there easy to buy universal bags. What I mean is, do I have to buy festool bags for a festool vacuum and the same for other brands?

I have found a festool dealer near me who will fix me up with the sander and midi vac for £1072 (inclusive of VAT). I just want to make sure the vac will be fit for purpuse or that I'm not missing out on a better alternative for similar price.
:confused:

coastaldrywall
21-11-2009, 01:40 PM
i use the flex sander with the alto vac which is the same one that hilti have, alto make them for hilti as well, looking on the walls and ceilin gs site you can buy the two for £700 plus the vat or they have the all singing all dancing festool kit with sander and vac for £1359 plus the vat but they do give discounts,

i can get plenty of use out of the bags that came with the alto vac as you can empty them out and reuse them, but i always carry a few spares just in case one gets ripped.

i am sure belmore or some of the others on here will do you a good deal, but same as anything you only get what you pay for and one thing to bear in mind is spares availability, if you get a problem you can get it sorted quickly

swazi
21-11-2009, 08:19 PM
cheers coastal, didn't know about walls and ceilings. the alto looks good, probably a better buy than the festool midi, just wondering about running the festool sander with it. I've made my mind up on the sander, just the vac that would be best value and compatible is the decision now. :fing02:

swazi
25-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Yay... today the brand new sander got its first working. What a brilliant sander. Have used a few before but the festool is quality. Mine arrived (cough) without disks and bags but i managed to get some off someone else. at first used regular disks with it and it worked just like any other brand sander, then i got given a box of festool disks and it then went like a dream, quicker and easier. The hoover came with 2 of the manufacturers bags which were really sad and both ended up torn after not much work.
I don't dread the sanding anymore...:headbang:

now off to the pub for some beer and poker...

TonyM
25-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Yay... today the brand new sander got its first working. What a brilliant sander. Have used a few before but the festool is quality. Mine arrived (cough) without disks and bags but i managed to get some off someone else. at first used regular disks with it and it worked just like any other brand sander, then i got given a box of festool disks and it then went like a dream, quicker and easier. The hoover came with 2 of the manufacturers bags which were really sad and both ended up torn after not much work.
I don't dread the sanding anymore...:headbang:

now off to the pub for some beer and poker...

Good luck with the sander. I borrowed one and couldn't get on with it.

thepainterman
27-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Yep avoid the fox,they aren't given away for no reason they are crap.

The motor is only 450w which will never in a month of sundays sand down yellow top gyproc.
I have used one and it couldn't otuch what I do with them.

I am hard on these sanders I skim walls with easi fill and use these to sand them down,then a quick rub with the pole for the corners and to to double check wall is totally sanded.

Dust in homes never keeps the women happy so these sanders are great for keeping onside with them.
It's worth paying for a good one.

Paul the plasterer
28-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Think this could be ok what do you think ? .Thanks for the help :fing02:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-DRYWALL-ELECTRIC-POLE-SANDER-SWIVEL-HEAD-110V_W0QQitemZ250506188032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ho me_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item3a53551500

DMS
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
We have just introduced the Miro sander to the UK Market, I have sold porter cable in the past, but do to the drive shaft problems, lack of support etc,, I stopped. I also played with the Vezos sander, which looked good after a short trial, but all of them broke within weeks of getting them out there, and surprise surprise vezos wasn't interested. I put the Miro out on site for 4 months before bringing it on with positive results. It is more powerful than the porter cable, doesn't have drive shaft issues, the backing pads last 6 months and are slotted to take in all the dust, the discs are slightly cheaper than the norton, but have 16 holes which line up the holes in the backing pads so it totally eliminates dust. One of the most impressive thing about the Miro sander is the support, if anything goes wrong it is gauranteed to be picked up fixed and returned within 4 days. if you are interested you can contact me on 0786 795 3014, the cost is £550.00 for the sander £245.00 for the vac, I will give you a credit of £100.00 if you turn in your old sander. There are also some end of season specials to be had. The sand paper goes for £33.00 per pack of 50.

TonyM
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
We have just introduced the Miro sander to the UK Market, I have sold porter cable in the past, but do to the drive shaft problems, lack of support etc,, I stopped. I also played with the Vezos sander, which looked good after a short trial, but all of them broke within weeks of getting them out there, and surprise surprise vezos wasn't interested. I put the Miro out on site for 4 months before bringing it on with positive results. It is more powerful than the porter cable, doesn't have drive shaft issues, the backing pads last 6 months and are slotted to take in all the dust, the discs are slightly cheaper than the norton, but have 16 holes which line up the holes in the backing pads so it totally eliminates dust. One of the most impressive thing about the Miro sander is the support, if anything goes wrong it is gauranteed to be picked up fixed and returned within 4 days. if you are interested you can contact me on 0786 795 3014, the cost is £550.00 for the sander £245.00 for the vac, I will give you a credit of £100.00 if you turn in your old sander. There are also some end of season specials to be had. The sand paper goes for £33.00 per pack of 50.

So who are you then DMS? A shop, contractor, importer, what?
Is that price inc. VAT and shipping? Must admit, it looks a nice bit of kit.

amestaper
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
So who are you then DMS? A shop, contractor, importer, what?

I googled the telephone number and it appears to belong to Dan Mills at All Wall. Please don't be strangers and you're welcome to leave an introduction, if you want to I mean. :)

DMS
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi Fellas, damn I didn't know you could use google like that! I have just now found this forum and wasn't sure how to go about the whole thing. You are correct Dan Mills formerly of All-Wall. I started my own business in October D M Solutions, hence DMS. I have secured distribution rights for the UK for Mirka, Northstar and have retained accounts with Graco. Basically what I consider to be the 3 best companies in their fields. I am innitially selling direct to get the business moving, but will be looking to set up distribution for NorthStar and Mirka long term. Most of you will be aware of All-Wall, so you will also know I have been around the block a few times in the drywall tools industry. The prices do not include VAT, shipping is free of charge for the full kit, and if the tool does not perform to your satisfaction you have 2 weeks to return it. As I said earlier I have been very impressed with the Miro it has ticked all the boxes, I am not interested in selling garbage, which is why I stopped promoting and selling the porter cable, I ended up spending all my time fielding calls from angry customers. The Festool is a very high quality machine, however all the feedback I have gotten from my customers who have bought one, has been that it is too heavy due to the motor assembly being in the head, and runs a bit too slow.

cheers

saleen836
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm a bit lost as to why so many people slate the Porter Cable sander, I have been using mine for years, it gets heavy use and apart from a broken drive cable or 2 the only thing I have replaced is worn out brushes.

DMS
03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
When the porter cables work, they are good sanders particularly the models that are 3 plus years old. However 3 years ago the manufacture point was changed from port rico to china since then they went from a 2-3% failure rate to 30%. you were obviously lucky enough to get one that works well!

amestaper
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Ta for the advice on the Porter Cable, and welcome to the forum.

saleen836
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
When the porter cables work, they are good sanders particularly the models that are 3 plus years old. However 3 years ago the manufacture point was changed from port rico to china since then they went from a 2-3% failure rate to 30%. you were obviously lucky enough to get one that works well!
Thanks for the info, wasn't aware the manafacture point was changed, good job both of mine are over 3years old!

Paul the plasterer
28-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi could someone point me in right way to picking up some sand paper its 220mm wide
The sander works a treat , bye bye sanding pole lol:fing02:

the_tapeinator
28-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Tool distrbutors who are members here sell sandpaperand some guy was selling some cheap on ebay if i remmeber correctly. http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php?196-Free-sandpaper-as-long-as-you-have-lots-of-names!

amestaper
28-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Tool distrbutors who are members here sell sandpaperand some guy was selling some cheap on ebay if i remmeber correctly. http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php?196-Free-sandpaper-as-long-as-you-have-lots-of-names!

I bought 250 sheets for £100 inc delivery. 100 grit is fine with BG joint cement but I had to polish the surface up a bit before I used it with the USG and Lafarge gear. Will send the fellow an email to see if he has any left because the ebay link is dead.

amestaper
29-12-2009, 10:08 PM
drywall sanding machine for 15 Euro's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz9QYN3yluw&NR=1&feature=fvwp) short movie on youtube

:lmao:roflmfao

maybe this is too serious a thread to post this here?

mancman
31-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Think this could be ok what do you think ? .Thanks for the help :fing02:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-DRYWALL-ELECTRIC-POLE-SANDER-SWIVEL-HEAD-110V_W0QQitemZ250506188032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ho me_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item3a53551500

i got myself one of those as a bit of a 'put me up'.....it does the job....for now but i dont expect it to see 6 months. it makes a lot of groaning noises and the odd spark flashes out of it!!!:D

the seller claims it's guarenteed for 6 months...i just hope they keep to their word.:o

DMS
04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi could someone point me in right way to picking up some sand paper its 220mm wide
The sander works a treat , bye bye sanding pole lol:fing02:
Hi paul, I have packs of 50 deflex discs going for £33.00 per pack. I have 100,120,150 grit in stock.

Paul the plasterer
04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi paul, I have packs of 50 deflex discs going for £33.00 per pack. I have 100,120,150 grit in stock.

Thanks dan but am sorted the now next time a need some i'll give you tinkle :fing02:

mancman
30-01-2010, 01:02 PM
i got myself one of those as a bit of a 'put me up'.....it does the job....for now but i dont expect it to see 6 months. it makes a lot of groaning noises and the odd spark flashes out of it!!!:D

the seller claims it's guarenteed for 6 months...i just hope they keep to their word.:o

it lasted for less than 3 months before it finally blew up! you get what you pay for i suppose! cheap chinese rubbish. :mad:

the_legend
31-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm absolutely convinced we should be using orbital sanders now due to health and safety reasons. I had a go on a flex girafe and now know where i would love to stick the sanding pole, :censored:dustmasks and hand sander. It didn't mess around and I especially noticed the difference with no dust falling on my face while doing the ceilings.
mate buy a flex ive got 2 had them for 6 years only thing ive had to replace is a drive shaft and brushes,i paid nearly 1400 just for the sanders, think you can get them from belmore for under 400 now ,choice is yours as they say,a pal has a porter cable american version goes through driveshafts like theres no tomorow,but its faster than mine

swazi
06-02-2010, 08:43 AM
anyone ever used or seen one of these? Not convinced by it myself, looks way to slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnOH08KYkg

belmoreboy
07-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Im familiar with the company that makes the sander as their vacuums are fantastic (expensive) but very good quality - i would imagine their sanders are very innovative and fit for the purpose.

Will do some digging find out from couple of usa supplier how these sanders perform will re post after i find out.

Ive liked to look of this sander since it was released, just never got around to getting one sent over to test.

theblones
25-02-2010, 12:49 PM
where do you get the soft pad for the festool sander. how much is it

belmoreboy
25-02-2010, 01:05 PM
List Price for soft pad is ...........................are you sitting down

£77.90 ! We managed to get quite a few swapped over for our customers for free, but that was q while back now as all new machines come with soft pad - might be worth asking dealer where you bougt it if they can get it swapped over for you.
Can knock a bit off soft pad for you bring it down to £66.50 - none in stock as they last for ages - 3 - 4 days if you need one let me know.
BTW it will make a huge difference to the sander.

amestaper
25-02-2010, 01:16 PM
List Price for soft pad is ...........................are you sitting down

£77.90 !

Ouch. Do you also have an airbag handy and wear a crash helmet to soften the blow? :nutkick:

belmoreboy
25-02-2010, 01:22 PM
i was shocked at first with every price festol comes out with - but i have to say it, you really do get what you pay for and all the tools and accessories seems to last for ages !

Many chippies swear by the name and have had some tools for years.
Scary thing is i can never see them lowering their prices in drywall tools, and as the ,market is with prices makes it very difficult to justify !

theblones
25-02-2010, 03:52 PM
that is a bit salty, but festool and hilti do sell quality items and if you have ever tried the difference you will know straight away that you are holding something built to earn you money.
I fuffin love tools anyway andgo to bed dreaming of festools chop saw, and i'm a plasterer:p:p:p

Captain perfect
25-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I used to run a couple of Porter cable sanders, fantastic machines long lasting & light weight , each went through 2 drive cables in about 5 years, Make sure you replace the outer sleeve @ the same time other wise the cable will last about a week, 1 wall stolen while out on hire & the other was cashed in when we bought the FESTOOL & what a superb piece of kit it is. A bit on the heavy side when you have both extensions connected, but with the direct drive it is un stopable even on the slowest speeds. Well worth the extra IMO.

matt
25-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Make sure you replace the outer sleeve @ the same time other wise the cable will last about a week
Do you have a part number for that you could pass on to me as i've got the same problem, changed driveshafts twice within sanding 8 houses, and wondered why it snapped exact same place about 10 inch in!!
I could feel it going, you know that way, theres something not quite right but i'm f***ed if I know what it is. Then it snaps half way through a house, the cry of "right lets get to f**k off site" goes up as we step over the sanding poles on the way out the door.

belmoreboy
25-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Think this is what youre looking for http://bit.ly/aPZVBA Def makes a difference the small metal strands in the casing shred the hell outta the driveshafts if they are worn - make sure you slap plenty of grease in it too.

Best advice to offer to make shaft last longer:

ALWAYS ALWAYS CHECK FOR SCREWHEADS BEFORE SANDING

ONLY USE SANDER FOR 45 MINS A TA TIME ON FULL SPEED THEN ALLOW TO COOL (15 MINS)

DON'T BE TEMPTED TO USE ON SMALL REVEALS, WHEN HEAD ONLY HAS HALF CONTACT WITH WALL IT TWISTS HEAD & SHAFT

AND I KNOW IT'S A PAIN BUT IT'S WELL WORTH TAKING SHAFT OUT ONCE A WEEK TO RE GREASE AND CHECK FOR DAMAGE, IT'S CHEAPER TO REPLACE JUST THE DRIVESHAFT NOT SHAFT AND CASING EACH TIME

Apart from that flex and porter cable are great sanders if well maintained.

matt
25-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the info, its you guys I get my stuff from.
I'll be in touch soon when we get some work again.
Cheers

Lightrock
13-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I got DMS to send me a Miro package: the Mirka 415 vac and the Miro sander. My electrician neighbour is retro fitting the power cord, and I'll get it out on the wall next week. I got quite a lot of sanding disks sent with it, so i am eager to see what I've been missing.

ProbeGT
07-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi guys. I know, I'm pulling this thread from an older decade but google redirected me to this site.

I have been using the porter cable 7800 for 4 year now. Bought it new (the 4.7 amp model). This sander needs some modifications to work properly but once you get used to it, it is an amazing tool.

I've NEVER used the vacuum with this sander. I know it makes a HUGE mess but I have a full face dust mask so i don't care about the dust. I've been trough 3 set of brushes, then a rotor assembley (worn out because of brushes and dust) then 2 other sets of brushes and it finally died today, after 4 long years of hard work. (was running for 4 hours straight) I didn't disassembled it yet to see what happened but it kinda locked up slowly then smoke from the motor. Looks like a dead bearing to me. I must say this sander blew my expectations away. Specialy because i don't use the vacuum.

I'm finding on this thread that you seem to have problems with the driveshafts. I don't know if you have a different model than our US/Canadian model but i never broke one and all the other tapers that i know have broke one. Always the brushes wich is normal to me.

Now that it's dead, I'm willing to try a new type of sander. I'm looking at the flex one but not available in US/Cnd. The festool one seems a good unit too, but also not available.

One question that i have about the festool is, with the triangle head, how does it work. does this sander spins like the porter cable or it vibrates like an orbital sander?

And DAMN, those things are darn expensive! (also 50HZ not 60...) Why is there no other power sander available in north america?

ProbeGT
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
One question guys. I can't see clearly on the videos and picture. On the festool sander, is the motor on the head of the sander? This must get quite heavy on celings

Beermonster
08-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Give speedtape pro a message he could answer all ur questions!