PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Automatic Taping Tools

belmoreboy
16-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Appreciate your answers !

belmoreboy
17-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all your answers so far - if you could keep them coming its a big help for me (will explain all soon !)

the_legend
17-01-2011, 05:11 PM
you thinking about hiring tools bboy...

belmoreboy
17-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Thought about it many a time legend - trying to guage professioanl opinion on wheather or not it's acceptable nowadays to hire or buy, would love to hear opinions from you guys if you have hired in the past and reasons why you don't now.

amestaper
17-01-2011, 07:36 PM
For guys who only do the occasional job then a short term hire deal is a win - win solution for both parties.
Theres no hassle of trying to store or sell them when the jobs over. :beerchug:

DMC
17-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Thought about it many a time legend - trying to guage professioanl opinion on wheather or not it's acceptable nowadays to hire or buy, would love to hear opinions from you guys if you have hired in the past and reasons why you don't now.

Used to hire all my tools,but in the long term it was cheaper to buy my own than have another monthly expense.

Dobietaper
26-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Here is a price list 4 hiring tools from speedtape.com
http://i54.tinypic.com/2inr7c.jpg

turrican_007
28-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Here is a price list 4 hiring tools from speedtape.com
http://i54.tinypic.com/2inr7c.jpg

1464 +vat per year, You would be better ofe getting the money and buying a set.

big g
04-03-2012, 07:20 PM
hi belmore,i know this thread was posted last year but having just joined have just noticed it and its something ive pondered over.
i hire my tools at 104 a month inc vat for full kit,with a 200 deposit now it saves having to lay out about 3 grand.
i know that tools would be mine but i dont have any lay out for repairs,or down time if anything goes wrong, its next day delivery with no postage to pay either.
when recession hit and had no work i put them off hire and started again when work started again.
so over 3 years its cost me over 3700,so if i had paid about 3 grand at start, how much do you think you would pay in repairs or downtime waiting on parts to come through.i know i have to keep paying over the years but then again tools dont last forever and have to be replaced.
so is there a lot in it,i dont know but it suited me at the time and have just kept doing it.

Beermonster
05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
hi belmore,i know this thread was posted last year but having just joined have just noticed it and its something ive pondered over.
i hire my tools at 104 a month inc vat for full kit,with a 200 deposit now it saves having to lay out about 3 grand.
i know that tools would be mine but i dont have any lay out for repairs,or down time if anything goes wrong, its next day delivery with no postage to pay either.
when recession hit and had no work i put them off hire and started again when work started again.
so over 3 years its cost me over 3700,so if i had paid about 3 grand at start, how much do you think you would pay in repairs or downtime waiting on parts to come through.i know i have to keep paying over the years but then again tools dont last forever and have to be replaced.
so is there a lot in it,i dont know but it suited me at the time and have just kept doing it.

Hi Big G! I have a blueline gun that is getting on 2 19-20 years old and stiill going strong:D Its needed some stuff but i would say over that time no more than 750 spent on it! It got a dented tude that had 2 b replaced which cost abit!!

big g
05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Big G! I have a blueline gun that is getting on 2 19-20 years old and stiill going strong:D Its needed some stuff but i would say over that time no more than 750 spent on it! It got a dented tude that had 2 b replaced which cost abit!!
hey beermonster,that is good going,i guess i like the security of having tools that always work the way they should and not having to lay out about 3 grand for a kit.i know what you are saying and would be better off in the long run but it was a cheap way of getting a kit at the time.plus its a good way for someone just starting out,not having to lay out that amount to get started.it suited me at the time and ive just kept doing it.i will bite the bullet one of these days(i think lol)
:w00t:

Beermonster
05-03-2012, 04:54 PM
hey beermonster,that is good going,i guess i like the security of having tools that always work the way they should and not having to lay out about 3 grand for a kit.i know what you are saying and would be better off in the long run but it was a cheap way of getting a kit at the time.plus its a good way for someone just starting out,not having to lay out that amount to get started.it suited me at the time and ive just kept doing it.i will bite the bullet one of these days(i think lol)
:w00t:
Yea i know what ur saying about startin out! Its a lot of cash but i have just been building my stuff up year by year and now i have 3 blueline guns and a columbia gun!! 1 of the blueline guns has never seen filler yet!!! I keep buyin stuff when i dont need it! If ur lookin for some stuff i could maybe have some stuff that u might b interested in,not sure if u r wanting 2 start buyin stuff? U can pm me if u do c if i can help out!!:p

big g
05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Yea i know what ur saying about startin out! Its a lot of cash but i have just been building my stuff up year by year and now i have 3 blueline guns and a columbia gun!! 1 of the blueline guns has never seen filler yet!!! I keep buyin stuff when i dont need it! If ur lookin for some stuff i could maybe have some stuff that u might b interested in,not sure if u r wanting 2 start buyin stuff? U can pm me if u do c if i can help out!!:p

cheers bud,i will wait and see if i get a nice rebate this year and get back to you and if you still have them i will defo be interested :beerchug:

belmoreboy
06-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Big G

O.K Where do i start !!

Hiring = definate advantages eg. if tool breaks send it back direct replacement etc etc nice and easy, if you run out of work again send back and wait untill work warrants hiring again.

Buying = you own! tools reclaimable in your end of year purchases, vat reclaimable if you are registered. NEW tools latest technology and features (not old 70's 80's tools) Most new tapers quick release heads bottoms and taper keepers & spools fixed in place. No need for any major tools to replace cable etc (new columbia has quick relase cable shaft!

ok so rough repair costs per year.

Taper: Major Service 12-24moths (180 + vat estimate) this is for wear parts broken parts extra
Yearly DIY maintenance (Blades, Cables, 1 x Cutter Chain, Drive Dog Spring etc) 75 est

Flatboxes: Major Service 12-24 months (65 per box est + vat - Blades,skids,repair clips, box srings & afew screws clean & factory reset)
Yearly DIY Maintenance (a blade or skid maybe 20 est)

Angle Head: MAjor Service 12 - 24 months (50 - 65 per head + vat est blades, screws clips & factory reset)
Yearly DIY Maintenance (a blade if broken and a clip or two 25 est)

Flatbox Handle: Major Service 24 - 36 months (minimal really maybe 50 - 75 at worst_
Yearly DIY Maintetance - if strap model (20 for strap) if new brake model 15 ish est

Pump - 25 per year est gauzes and o rings etc
Corner Box 20 every 2 years (rubber seal) although if looked after these can last for 3 x times this
Nailspotter - Minimal just a balde if it breaks and wheels if it has rollers 20 every 24 months or so
Corner Roller - Minimal - new wheels every 4 - 6 years 40
Filler Nozzle - minimal - o ring or 2 - 5
Gooseneck - minimal - o ring or 2 - 5

So i guess the summary is that tools if looked after will last you for ages and wont cost you that much in servicing costs. And there is always something nice about owning your own tools!

If you go for one of the 2 Major brands in teh UK either Tapetech or Columbia then parts will never really be an issue as we hold over 90% of the spares needed to repair the tools in stock for next day - 2 day delivery to your home or site. We also have a fairly new (18 months old) repair facilty at our depot witha daily collection and return facility either from your house or site.

Another thing to consider and we see this every day, when a tool hit 10 years plus in age (like most of the hire tools available today) they do tend to break more often and they are really heavy also! as mentioned new tools new technologies and better more comfortable tools to use and own!

We do have one more string to our bow! We have finance available as of the end of this month, have just been looking at some rates and we should be able to offer these rates on 3000
9.9% APR representative, over 24 months
123.93 Monthly Repayment

Deposit: 300.00
Total Repayable: 3,274.32
Total Interest: 274.32

19.5% APR representative, over 48 months
79.23 Monthly Repayment
Total Repayable: 4,103.04
Total Interest: 1,103.04

So pay for the tools either over 12 or 24 months and own them outright!

Finance not just for taping tools will be for any tools sanders & hand tools etc.

Will let everyone know when finance in place.

Hope this helps a bit Big G & others browsing this thread.

Thanks
Marcus

big g
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi Big G

O.K Where do i start !!

Hiring = definate advantages eg. if tool breaks send it back direct replacement etc etc nice and easy, if you run out of work again send back and wait untill work warrants hiring again.

Buying = you own! tools reclaimable in your end of year purchases, vat reclaimable if you are registered. NEW tools latest technology and features (not old 70's 80's tools) Most new tapers quick release heads bottoms and taper keepers & spools fixed in place. No need for any major tools to replace cable etc (new columbia has quick relase cable shaft!

ok so rough repair costs per year.

Taper: Major Service 12-24moths (180 + vat estimate) this is for wear parts broken parts extra
Yearly DIY maintenance (Blades, Cables, 1 x Cutter Chain, Drive Dog Spring etc) 75 est

Flatboxes: Major Service 12-24 months (65 per box est + vat - Blades,skids,repair clips, box srings & afew screws clean & factory reset)
Yearly DIY Maintenance (a blade or skid maybe 20 est)

Angle Head: MAjor Service 12 - 24 months (50 - 65 per head + vat est blades, screws clips & factory reset)
Yearly DIY Maintenance (a blade if broken and a clip or two 25 est)

Flatbox Handle: Major Service 24 - 36 months (minimal really maybe 50 - 75 at worst_
Yearly DIY Maintetance - if strap model (20 for strap) if new brake model 15 ish est

Pump - 25 per year est gauzes and o rings etc
Corner Box 20 every 2 years (rubber seal) although if looked after these can last for 3 x times this
Nailspotter - Minimal just a balde if it breaks and wheels if it has rollers 20 every 24 months or so
Corner Roller - Minimal - new wheels every 4 - 6 years 40
Filler Nozzle - minimal - o ring or 2 - 5
Gooseneck - minimal - o ring or 2 - 5

So i guess the summary is that tools if looked after will last you for ages and wont cost you that much in servicing costs. And there is always something nice about owning your own tools!

If you go for one of the 2 Major brands in teh UK either Tapetech or Columbia then parts will never really be an issue as we hold over 90% of the spares needed to repair the tools in stock for next day - 2 day delivery to your home or site. We also have a fairly new (18 months old) repair facilty at our depot witha daily collection and return facility either from your house or site.

Another thing to consider and we see this every day, when a tool hit 10 years plus in age (like most of the hire tools available today) they do tend to break more often and they are really heavy also! as mentioned new tools new technologies and better more comfortable tools to use and own!

We do have one more string to our bow! We have finance available as of the end of this month, have just been looking at some rates and we should be able to offer these rates on 3000
9.9% APR representative, over 24 months
123.93 Monthly Repayment

Total Repayable: 3,274.32
Total Interest: 274.32

19.5% APR representative, over 48 months
79.23 Monthly Repayment
Total Repayable: 4,103.04
Total Interest: 1,103.04

So pay for the tools either over 12 or 24 months and own them outright!

Finance not just for taping tools will be for any tools sanders & hand tools etc.

Will let everyone know when finance in place.

Hope this helps a bit Big G & others browsing this thread.

Thanks
Marcus
jeez marcus,brilliant post,sounds good and will give it some serious thought,that 4 inch knife i bought must be the best yet,it is if its pre-worn like the marshalton trowels.thanks again for the post, certainly got me thinking about buying new compared to used.

E.K Taper
06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Come on, Big g!! You know it makes sense, come over to the dark side...........

big g
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Come on, Big g!! You know it makes sense, come over to the dark side...........
hahahaha i would if i had the money you have,heard your worth a fortune.
i was talking to a guy today who has been hiring his tools for 15 years,thats nearly 18,000 hes paid.
dont fancy that much so i will be coming over shortly.
his gun got stolen not long back and they told him it was 1300 worth but because he had been with them so long they would only charge him half that,unreal.

E.K Taper
07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Heheh, if I was worth a fortune Big g I wouldn't be sittin online talkin p*sh to yous guys! Don't listen to wee Jamie, seriously, he's got so much money under his bed he needs his stilts to climb in at night:w00t:

big g
08-03-2012, 03:37 PM
hahaha he wouldnt need much under his bed for him to need stilts,hes only 2 foot three.