PDA

View Full Version : New sander and dust extractor what do you guys recommend

SJMMR
29-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi we are thinking about buying a new sander and dust extractor, looking for some help in getting the correct things, model and what else I should be getting sand paper fro it what do you guys use, any help will be appreciated, many thanks Steve

Goodmanatee
30-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I've always used flex. They have just brought out a new one, but from what we hear, it has had mixed reviews (check some of the posts in tools). And it's more expensive that the older one.
Look on belmore tools website. That will give you a better idea.

SJMMR
30-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi I read the thread was just looking for more input, yes I was looking at the newer one but was not sure when I read the reviews, what dust extractor do you use, and how is durability of tools? I read on the other thread that the older flex was prone to breaking, and new one was a bit heavy I am not getting any younger, many thanks Steve

TonyM
30-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I've had a normal Flex for about 6-7 yrs, and have only ever replaced the motor brushes. Some tapers go through driveshafts like there is no tomorrow. Whether this is due to heavy handedness or lesser quality replacement parts is debatable. As for dust extraction, I use Hilti, but you can get Makita and other branded units for half the price.

drywall guy
30-01-2011, 08:05 PM
I've got 2 flex sanders and 2 nilsfisk vacuums. Had them for about 5 years ,only replaced the brushes on one of them. Great bits of kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottishlad2k10
30-01-2011, 09:08 PM
can get a dirt cheap one on ebay for 60 depends how much youd use it =] aha

or you can get one of this badboys i got for 550 :) great for internals & flats slightly dearer on here yet cheaper than retail =]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EX-DISPLAY-FLEX-WST700VV-GIRAFFE-DRYWALL-SANDER-240V-/300504521707?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item45f7771beb

crack filler
30-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Had a porter cable for about 6 years changed brushes out of nessesity and drive shaft after about 4 years while doing some maintenance. Really happy with it and makita vacuum

amestaper
30-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Ive still got an original flex giraffe and a nilfisk alto vacuum. 5 years old and still give good miles per gallon.
I've no intention of changing it until I absolutely have to.