PDA

View Full Version : Who hates sanding

drywall guy
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
We all hate sanding but it has to be done.
What % of your rate or house price would you give up for someone to do it.
Would you take as much time and effort leaving a nice tidy job if you were not sanding it youself ?. Or would you just rush the job and leave it to the "guy that sands".

amestaper
02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
10% is the going rate around these parts as long as its done properly.

keco drywall taper
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
yea 10%

i would still leave tidy taping job no matter what,or who sanding it,

its your name thats on the hoiuse no matter who sands

anyway i dont mind sanding myself, unless off course its pole sanding,

i cant believe all those years that i did pole sanding and didnt complain, then again we didnt have power sanders then ,

E.K Taper
02-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I leave 10% when on house-bashing, and always leave it neat in case I need to sand it myself with the idiot stick

scottishlad2k10
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
homers ......... i do it my self :) at work......... we have labourers who do it for us :) same with mixing batches and cleaning stuff etc :D

TonyM
02-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I think that i have never not sanded my own work.

jase hag
03-02-2011, 05:57 AM
i would not let anyone sand my work,as i think it is the most important part of jointing.plus i dont mind doing it anyway.

Goodmanatee
03-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Always sand your own work. Rubbish sanding by someone can mess up the work.
Flex sander, good Hoover, good pole sander, sanding sponge, IPod. Can't go wrong!

Dobietaper
03-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Always sand your own work. Rubbish sanding by someone can mess up the work.

well said m8

DMC
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I have and always will sand my own work, need to be sure its done properly.

ProbeGT
08-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I used to hate sanding until I bought my porter cable.

Porter cable, Full face respirator, in-ear earphones and some good powermetal, time passes very quickly.

Still hates finishing touch-up tho... Damn it's boring.

One thing that is quite bizzare is I'm always wondering why I am so alone suddenly when I get my 7800 on the job? lol (no vacuum) It's such a big mess sometimes, working trough extention cords, ducts, electrician stuff, plumber's stuff, garbage etc. For once, i can take revenge on all those guys lol.

scottishlad2k10
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I used to hate sanding until I bought my porter cable.

Porter cable, Full face respirator, in-ear earphones and some good powermetal, time passes very quickly.

Still hates finishing touch-up tho... Damn it's boring.

One thing that is quite bizzare is I'm always wondering why I am so alone suddenly when I get my 7800 on the job? lol (no vacuum) It's such a big mess sometimes, working trough extention cords, ducts, electrician stuff, plumber's stuff, garbage etc. For once, i can take revenge on all those guys lol.

i got as far as "full face resperator" and was like "wtf????" lol why dont u have a vaccume you maniac? i got a fox one 112 on ebay :D its good plug the sander into the top of it 240v and you have an option 1 or 2 on it and push 2 and when you start up the sander the vac comes on switch it off and the vac switches of 10 secs later =] racket of the sander and the vac at the same time makes people dissapear :D headphones or earplugs :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodworking-Woodturning-Fox-F50-800-Dust-Extractor-240V-/200579379146?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item2eb3766fca

now 114 free postage =]

butterfly
08-03-2011, 04:59 PM
when u dont sand ur own work u are giving work away,in the current climate it just does not make any sense to give work away.
a lot of people tend to forget about the sanding when they boast about how fast they are or how many metres they can do in a week.would you let someone you did not know12"box your work for a %of the price and you are still held accountable for the standard of the work?

scottishlad2k10
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
who needs a 12" box pfffft dont have one dont need one :) hawk and float....... bog standard no modifications :P

3 fair sized rooms in two days....... 2 fastset 1 finish..... 20 mins each sanding......2 days and 1 hour........ easy who needs to get people sanding for them? unless the jobs taking too long and needs pushed on so the company can get payments?

ProbeGT
08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
i got as far as "full face resperator" and was like "wtf????" lol why dont u have a vaccume you maniac? i got a fox one 112 on ebay :D its good plug the sander into the top of it 240v and you have an option 1 or 2 on it and push 2 and when you start up the sander the vac comes on switch it off and the vac switches of 10 secs later =] racket of the sander and the vac at the same time makes people dissapear :D headphones or earplugs :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodworking-Woodturning-Fox-F50-800-Dust-Extractor-240V-/200579379146?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item2eb3766fca

now 114 free postage =]

I removed the vaccum tube on the head of my porter cable. It makes the head more flexible and more stable on ceilings. With the tube on I found that it always pushes on the top of the head. Since I use norton back-up pad i don't need to push on the sander to sand so if the head is not perfectly flat, i'd be scoring the joints.

scottishlad2k10
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I removed the vaccum tube on the head of my porter cable. It makes the head more flexible and more stable on ceilings. With the tube on I found that it always pushes on the top of the head. Since I use norton back-up pad i don't need to push on the sander to sand so if the head is not perfectly flat, i'd be scoring the joints.

awh sounds like fun man lol

ProbeGT
08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
it is. Actually with the norton pad and glued on the sander instead of that stupid screw it works like a charm. My sanding is nicer than someone with a pole and 150grit paper.

You gotta keep some swiffers near to wipe the respirator's window but you boss defenetly can't say you're not working! lol

scottishlad2k10
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
lol wouldnt know about a pole as it got ditched many months ago for the cheapy ebay sander that still works but i upgraded to a flex =]

and about the boss working lol it would be like a snow storm :L no white suits on so you blend in with everything? lol

ProbeGT
08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
you bought the flex WST700 or the porter cable's copy?

I want to buy the flex or the festool to try it out here and maybe introduce it to our drywall tool supplier but it's very hard to import. Yesterday i bought a cheap chinese copy of the festool just to now how would be the feel of having the motor on the head. It's in the shipping and I should receive it this week or monday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Pro-Adjustable-Drywall-Sander-Pro-Vacuum-/130483182441?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item1e61675b69

The flex seems like the real deal but then, it's hard to find reviews about the flex and the festool. I'll give a try at the vaccum but i'm not sure. Another damn thing in my legs but if i can get rid of the respirator, it might be worth.

scottishlad2k10
08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
you bought the flex WST700 or the porter cable's copy?

I want to buy the flex or the festool to try it out here and maybe introduce it to our drywall tool supplier but it's very hard to import. Yesterday i bought a cheap chinese copy of the festool just to now how would be the feel of having the motor on the head. It's in the shipping and I should receive it this week or monday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Pro-Adjustable-Drywall-Sander-Pro-Vacuum-/130483182441?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item1e61675b69

The flex seems like the real deal but then, it's hard to find reviews about the flex and the festool. I'll give a try at the vaccum but i'm not sure. Another damn thing in my legs but if i can get rid of the respirator, it might be worth.

yeah i got the flex wst 700 vv vario plus telescopic sander on ebay while crusing it for a new drywall sander came across it as "ex display" paid 550 for it :) half the price of a brand new one its a bargain only had a few minor surface scratches @ 550 couldnt complain =] great machine a little on the heavy side but its not too bad. only thing is the triangular head it vibrates the machine like mad started with the 120 gritt paper but its no use.... was leaving edges and it wasnt doing good so started ordering 80 gritt and it does the job =]

ProbeGT
08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
great! Have you tried a festool? how would you compare both?

scottishlad2k10
08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
ive never tried festool and never seen one being used..... half the guys here are still pole sanders id never go back to sanding whole rooms with a pole no way! swetting like a tropper killing yourself with a pole....... thats part of the stoneage now lol.

they say that festool is quite heavy though? and the motors mounted on the head? would be hard going with the weight of the motor and the spinning of the machine? id think so anyway am sure plenty of guys on here have them or have tried them?

scottishlad2k10
09-03-2011, 08:26 PM

forgot to say............ this is one way of well and truely trashing your machine!! the dust getting sucked in the air vents on your sander........... bad move lol

ProbeGT
09-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, i know. But I prefer to do a great job and changes some brushes and bearings.

BTW, i opened my dead porter cable and it's the output shaft bearing that died. That surprised me, i would have tought the motor's bearing would have died 1st. I must say I'm amazed how tough this thing is. 4 years in very heavy dust. I'll probably repair it because i want a spare sander in case my chinese one is crap.

scottishlad2k10
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, i know. But I prefer to do a great job and changes some brushes and bearings.

BTW, i opened my dead porter cable and it's the output shaft bearing that died. That surprised me, i would have tought the motor's bearing would have died 1st. I must say I'm amazed how tough this thing is. 4 years in very heavy dust. I'll probably repair it because i want a spare sander in case my chinese one is crap.

my first sander was one of ebay 60 i think and i thought it wouldnt last lasted 4 months and the drive shaft was playin up so pulled it out and put it in backwards and it works fine keepin it asa spare incase my flex breaks down it would be so hearbreaking having to go back to pole sanding while waiting on repairs lol think that would be enough to bring a tear to a glass eye lol. duno what your chinese one will be like but mine from ebay was made in china and was value for money @ 60 paid for its self =]

whered you buy yours?

ProbeGT
10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I bought it from ebay, paid 430$ for it (about 250 pounds) with the vacuum cleaner. It's actually a copy of the festool one. I bought it because i wanted to try another design. If I like it i'll repair my porter cable and keep it as a spare. If i don't, then this one will be the spare model.

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I bought it from ebay, paid 430$ for it (about 250 pounds) with the vacuum cleaner. It's actually a copy of the festool one. I bought it because i wanted to try another design. If I like it i'll repair my porter cable and keep it as a spare. If i don't, then this one will be the spare model.

ah i see how much was postage? cant imagine it to have been cheap?

ProbeGT
11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
It was free shipping, the reseller is in canada.

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
It was free shipping, the reseller is in canada.

thats no so bad then. u in the uk? i was looking at american drywall sanders before i got the flex but i was gna get import taxes & fees and the ups delivery charges and everything under the sun came to about 550 with fees and that just for postage so it wasnt worth it. seen another on ebay "blue" something or something blue from canada looks good but even that had all the taxes and crap. cant win like.

ProbeGT
11-03-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm from canada. That why i bought this one. I wanted to give a try at a flex or a festool but i can't make one ship here. Found 1 reseller in france who could ship it but they are 220V models and price for a festool is 3000USD with shipping and taxes.

This huge sale tax you got, it kills all your exportations.

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm from canada. That why i bought this one. I wanted to give a try at a flex or a festool but i can't make one ship here. Found 1 reseller in france who could ship it but they are 220V models and price for a festool is 3000USD with shipping and taxes.

This huge sale tax you got, it kills all your exportations.

trust me the tax increase from 17.5% to 20% is also killing everything and everyone in the uk. even though it didnt seem like much 2.5% increase but it hurts the bank. the other day i had to buy a new plastic hawk and i got one in the same place last year and it was alot cheaper...... expencive shop it was 16 last year now 26 they put the prices even higher cause of importing them.

ProbeGT
11-03-2011, 11:37 PM
damn. Sale taxes here are the highest of all North America (5% federal and 8,5% provincial). income tax is also quite high, around 30 to 50% depending on income.

But I can't complain i know life in UK costs a lot of money compared to North America. But you guys got Top Gear TV show! :)

ohh and High prices from UPS are all around the world. UPS must mean U Pay a S**T

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2011, 11:49 PM
oh you dont get top gear? its a great program :P they are nuts! especially turning cars & 4x4`s into boats to cross from england to france via shipping lanes lol! im sure you could get it online? on one of the uk channels?

and yeah ups & fedex are expencive but then again shipping & postage in the uk is pretty expencive anyway but importing & customs etc like to charge even more.

i used to buy hyde taping knives etc from a uk site but they went bust now they are hard to get in the uk. emailed hyde company in usa and they said postage would be too much with customs charges etc.

ProbeGT
12-03-2011, 12:43 AM
yes we do get Top Gear on BBC Canada but always 2 seasons late. And they cut the programming to include adds in it... The cross from england to france was a big laugh but my biggest laugh was the motorhome build challenge. Damn I can't beleive they let Jeremy drive that citroen...

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2011, 12:47 AM
yes we do get Top Gear on BBC Canada but always 2 seasons late. And they cut the programming to include adds in it... The cross from england to france was a big laugh but my biggest laugh was the motorhome build challenge. Damn I can't beleive they let Jeremy drive that citroen...

yeah its a laugh! cant believe they get to drive the amount of cars they do even bentleys and alot more expencive must pay HIGH insurance

ProbeGT
16-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Well, i received my sander today. After 2 days of manual sanding, now that all my jobs are done it finally arrived!

Quality seems better than expected. Once assembled it's pretty solid. Direct drive motor seems powerfull even if it revs less than the porter cable. Biggest complain is the weight. When fully assembled, the weight is big and the fact that the motor is on the head will probably be annoying. The sander is taller than the porter cable when fully assembled and shorter when no extention is used (that might be a problem for 8' ceilings) Since the motor is on the head, it tends to pull the top of the head on ceilings. I will have to double check to make sure it's always pefectly flat so i don't score my flats.

Vaccum is a carbon copy of the porter cable. Quality seems good too. Only drawback is the handle for flooring wich is 1 curved plastic piece. Also it doesn't seem to turn ON and OFF automatically when the sander is plugged in but this is not really a problem.

Brushes are soft and easy to push compared to the porter cable. I'll give a better feedback once i'll have tried it.

scottishlad2k10
16-03-2011, 03:01 PM
dosnt matter if its heavy get your self down the gym and workout on the weights :L

what you mean by the on/of automatically when sander is plugged in?

my fox hoover has a socket on it and 2 switches one to turn all power on/off on the right and another switch on the left with a "i" and "ii" one being just for hoover use two "ii" being for use with the sander

when i plug into the hoover & switch on the sander on "ii" setting the sander starts up and so does the hoover........ when i switch the sander off the hoover keeps going for 20 - 30 secs just to suck the rest of the crap out of the sander.

is this what your meaning? 240v port on your sander???
Vaccum is a carbon copy of the porter cable. Quality seems good too. Only drawback is the handle for flooring wich is 1 curved plastic piece. Also it doesn't seem to turn ON and OFF automatically when the sander is plugged in but this is not really a problem.

ProbeGT
16-03-2011, 04:08 PM
yes that is what i meant. and no it's not 240Volts it's 110V 60Hz

Davie@ATT
16-03-2011, 08:25 PM
10percent is about right agree it is best to sand your own work but if got a decent run ahead why waste time and energy get a sander/labourer out and run through their work half hour befor you finish your shift..

ProbeGT
23-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, I finally tried my new sander today.

On ceilings it works pretty well. All the dust get sucked up by the vacuum. I must say it's quite better to sand without the respirator. The wrong side now is that it whobles like hell on walls. I had this problem on my porter cable when I removed the brush ring. I'll try to fix that because it's unusable on walls for now unless you push hard on the sander to stop it whabling. I made my own hose with an extension cord attached to it so i have 30 feet of freedom around the vacuum. Yes the weight is more on the head but it doesn't seem as bad as I tought. But it only tried it for a few minutes. Tomorrow is the big day.

scottishlad2k10
23-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Well, I finally tried my new sander today.

On ceilings it works pretty well. All the dust get sucked up by the vacuum. I must say it's quite better to sand without the respirator. The wrong side now is that it whobles like hell on walls. I had this problem on my porter cable when I removed the brush ring. I'll try to fix that because it's unusable on walls for now unless you push hard on the sander to stop it whabling. I made my own hose with an extension cord attached to it so i have 30 feet of freedom around the vacuum. Yes the weight is more on the head but it doesn't seem as bad as I tought. But it only tried it for a few minutes. Tomorrow is the big day.

whabling???

its probably caused by the speed the machines running at + the weight of the head as the motor is mounted there slow the machine down and try it on the walls?:fing02:

ProbeGT
23-03-2011, 10:22 PM
it does that at all speeds.

ProbeGT
25-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Well I did remove the original foam and glue a norton back-up pad on it. Then i've put some washers under the brush ring to raise it flush to the norton pad.

Success. The sander now works pretty good. Weight is not really a problem because the sander is shorter and hands positioning makes it balanced. With the vac, i must say it's quite nice. It sucks almost all the dust except when i'm doing beads or surfaces that doesn't cover 100% of the sander's head. But still, no need for the full face respirator anymore and I can see a lot better where i'm sanding wich means less touch-ups after the big sanding is done. After 10-15 minutes the vac does suck about half of capacity but then it stays like that until it's full. I'm pretty sure all vacs would do the same and all filters will eventually get clogged. When fully assembled it's great to make ceilings but it's hard on high walls to keep it from whabbling. It's still a little harsh to start it upside down but it can be done.

Main problem now is that it scores my mud a little. But this is a new batch of machine mud that seems to be a lot softer so i don,t know if it's the sander or the mud. Sander does use 100% of the sand paper's surface, it's very stable on the walls and ceiling and even tho it's turning slower than the porter cable, it sands more, specially on the screws.

Well, after all, not bad for a 440$ cnd taxes and shipping included. Now it's all about how long it will last.

Wavewalker
08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi - Kiwi jointer in Uk last 7 yrs. Trained 15 yrs ago using only a hand sander to sand all walls & ceilings, which took almost a day on a large house with a sweep out at the end. Only once saw an electric sander being used which back then left circular score marks. Saw one chap from Thailand using a pole sander which we thought was odd but effective. Fast 4wd to 04 when I bought a Flex and wow why did I wait so long to get one? :-)
The main problem was that with my hoover attached it would severely reduce the speed revs on my sander so ditched it in preference of speed and less need to press hard on the head with the downside being the huge dust storm. I know of only 1 other taper who perseveres with a hoover with all others using without. I'm thinking that in NZ you can and do use the hoovers due to the prevalence of 240 volts on commercial & residential hence more power to the Flex & hoover.

TJ Dizzy
17-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I always found after sanding a house and sayin ca-ching money always helps lol however i a flex with hoover but never use the hoover anymore yes you do come out looking like a ghost but it does seem alot quicker to move around with it and not mess around untwisted the hoover-sander pipe all i need now is 1 of the 190 sander poles and all will be good as it gets abit sore on the finger tips with sponges =)