PDA

View Full Version : fiba tape .........

scottishlad2k10
20-02-2011, 07:31 PM
came across another taping forum earlier where the guys claim they use fibre tape on the internal joints between the walls and ceilings....... and some claim they dont even tape the internals they caulk them...... surely to fu:censored: this is total and utter cowboys? i remember painting a house other tapers taped and they didnt use papertapes on internals either it was filled with some sort of resin??? noticed it more as the joiners started banging skirtings on and the internals were all crackin....... what the hell are they using like?

turrican_007
21-02-2011, 07:31 AM
I have done a job where it was caulk on all corners, the boarding was as neat as fK...

scottishlad2k10
21-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I have done a job where it was caulk on all corners, the boarding was as neat as fK...

yeah the bording was amazingly unbelievably neat on that job but why the pricks caulked the corners to let it split was unreal! client asked us to fix the corners in ever room and we said no as getting this "caulky" solid shit off was too heavy going its like almost a glue? ever come across it?

crack filler
21-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I have seen a few tapers use scrim not my cup of tea but each to there own, on with a firm that are getting frustrated with the amount of after care where internals are coming off with the settlement of the house, they have agreed with wimpey to paper tape upright internals and then fill and scrim round the tops but only on the wall side then the decorator caulks around the top (hope I have explained this right that you understand), so the scrim is not bent round the corner. Then in 12months the decorators shoot round and recaulk anywhere there has been movement instead of replacing internals, seems very wrong to me.

dryfix
21-02-2011, 07:47 PM
we do work for office fit out company's,who only use caulk,and they cut off all tapered edges on plasterboards where they form an internal angle.or it T's into another partition,so no need to fill the taper,and they do the same with the ceiling boards.no paper or scrim internals!The boarding is the neatest we tape.they don't like jointcement etc on powder coat finished head tracks and skirtings.

amestaper
21-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Not applying paper tape in internal corners is just plain lazy, cheapskate (in my opinion) and it would never pass a fire test. Ive seen it done and Im amazed at some of the poor standards Ive saw recently. I was in a hospital and cinema last week and spent most the time walking around shaking my head. Every joint was visible, about 10% of them had major cracking.

dryfix
21-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi amestaper,i agree you can,t beat paper internals,but if you had to tape a komfort partition job where the head track is fitted to the underside of the ceiling and the metal skirting boards are all ready fitted even before you tape a joint,you soon come around to there way of thinking.they dont want any damage or scratches to the powder finish and it makes a nice change not to get all the internal tools out.

scottishlad2k10
21-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Not applying paper tape in internal corners is just plain lazy, cheapskate (in my opinion) and it would never pass a fire test. Ive seen it done and Im amazed at some of the poor standards Ive saw recently. I was in a hospital and cinema last week and spent most the time walking around shaking my head. Every joint was visible, about 10% of them had major cracking.

i didnt get why they caulked this house though its pure and utter cowboy no matter what anyone says if the guys are to trade they should have their cards taken off them. who wants to splash out on a bunch of pr**s who run round caulking corners? and this was a kithouse which has to be allowed a slight bit of movement even as the timbers dry out thats why fibre tape and paper tape is available holds the boards together. for all the time it really takes to do internals. just no need like.

scottishlad2k10
21-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I have seen a few tapers use scrim not my cup of tea but each to there own, on with a firm that are getting frustrated with the amount of after care where internals are coming off with the settlement of the house, they have agreed with wimpey to paper tape upright internals and then fill and scrim round the tops but only on the wall side then the decorator caulks around the top (hope I have explained this right that you understand), so the scrim is not bent round the corner. Then in 12months the decorators shoot round and recaulk anywhere there has been movement instead of replacing internals, seems very wrong to me.

i agree with you completly i was shocked seeing the caulk being used.... ive skipped an odd skim here or there due to time but its always looked perfect and never cracked and i thought that was bad. but seeing the kithouse being done like this especially with an upstairs was a bit of a shock. as the ceiling is going to get impacts from things happening upstairs.

turrican_007
22-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I was in a hospital and cinema last week and spent most the time walking around shaking my head. Every joint was visible, about 10% of them had major cracking.

You will have to take a pencil next time you go. You should see our local vets after its complete makeover you would love that.

amestaper
22-02-2011, 02:38 PM
More worried about what people thought of me walking around a hospital shaking my head. Like I had escaped from the nut wing or something, you know? lol

@dryfix. Can you upload a few photos of this sheeting to photobucket then link them to the forum so we can see?

scottishlad2k10
22-02-2011, 04:50 PM
More worried about what people thought of me walking around a hospital shaking my head. Like I had escaped from the nut wing or something, you know? lol

@dryfix. Can you upload a few photos of this sheeting to photobucket then link them to the forum so we can see?

lol @ shaking your head. its a bit like plaster really i think plasters shite! sticks to the boards for a while looks lovely then within a year especially with an upstair in the house and movement the plaster loses its bond with the plasterboard and pops =] stupid people using plaster

dryfix
22-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi amestaper,we start a office fit out in the next 2 weeks,so i will try and get some photo's on site,we think they will be using sound block board.

butterfly
23-02-2011, 02:22 PM
paper tape for me but i know some guys use fiba and to be fair they do a neat job with it but i dont think they gain anything by doin it,as for the guys who use caulk i know a firm who would hire them they are called (BOTCHIT AND SCARPER)