PDA

View Full Version : Banjo`s

scottishlad2k10
23-02-2011, 10:05 PM
seen a few vids on youtube of banjos being used. just wonder if anyone on here uses them? and what they think? also what filler/cement they use in them?

came across a marshalltown one on ebay while browsing and it says "Drywall Banjo Tapeshooter Mesh Scrim"

the vids ive seen are all using papertapes? and i know that the filler/cement will stick to them

thought it was odd when it said "scrim" as fibre tapes already sticky..... and it probably wouldnt coat the fibre tape as well as the paper?

are they worth buying???:confused:

Brian S
24-02-2011, 06:24 AM
I don't use a Banjo, but I think other than fire taping, you'd be better off using a Bazooka.

A word of warning regarding scrim, dont use Joint Cement with it, as it doesn't stick so well and it is liable to crack and possibly peel.

scottishlad2k10
24-02-2011, 04:59 PM
yeah well i have zero experiance with a automatic taper..... plus there pure expencive...... just liked the look of it as it fires the tapes out does internals & is dirt cheap,:cool: i wouldnt put scrim through the banjo lol thats just crazy

crack filler
24-02-2011, 05:18 PM
there was another thread on banjos, it was an aussie he was using a Homax banjo I searched it at the time and you could get one off Amazon for about 40 no idea if they are any good though

scottishlad2k10
24-02-2011, 05:21 PM
there was another thread on banjos, it was an aussie he was using a Homax banjo I searched it at the time and you could get one off Amazon for about 40 no idea if they are any good though

they looked alright can get one on ebay from america inc postage 60
just i skim a room a day by hand and just looking for things/tools to make it a bit less labourous as in knackerd everyday.

was also looking at these flatboxes on the pole....... ever tried them?

crack filler
24-02-2011, 09:54 PM
about 99% of the people on here use them mate, we are in the minority, they are good and have been tempted to go to the dark side lol but have always been a hand jointer

scottishlad2k10
25-02-2011, 04:34 PM
about 99% of the people on here use them mate, we are in the minority, they are good and have been tempted to go to the dark side lol but have always been a hand jointer

im the same always done hand jointing just wana experiment and see what some of these things are like :) was always a pole/hand sander up till i got a dirt cheap one on ebay 60 had it 4 months its still going no bother but i bought a flex sander 2 months ago :D loved the first one love the 2nd one :D

any idea where i can buy a corner roller crack? looked on belmore but it dosnt come up. just gna be doing a cafe with a view over the sea in a couple of weeks so....... theres hundreds of windows!

Brian S
25-02-2011, 06:10 PM
any idea where i can buy a corner roller crack? looked on belmore but it dosnt come up. just gna be doing a cafe with a view over the sea in a couple of weeks so....... theres hundreds of windows!

Give Belmore or Dave (The Taping Store) a bell they'll both stock them

scottishlad2k10
25-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Give Belmore or Dave (The Taping Store) a bell they'll both stock them

ah i will do cheers :D

E.K Taper
25-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Scottishlad, while your on the blower to Belmore or Dave, buy a set of flatboxes and a handle! No wonder your knackered matey . The boxes save you all the effort of trowelling

scottishlad2k10
25-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Scottishlad, while your on the blower to Belmore or Dave, buy a set of flatboxes and a handle! No wonder your knackered matey . The boxes save you all the effort of trowelling

defo thinking about the flatboxes looks a doddle like. thinking more about them than the banjo.

do you use flatboxes e.k? or you auto?

crack filler
25-02-2011, 11:11 PM
sorry what do mean by corner roller internal, external or a internal decorators roller for the internals, if you could buy a 12in box and pump I think that would make us both happy as I don't want to completly want to cross over but on bigger jobs have the option. (this has taken so long to type as I am slaughtered I should get a life)

scottishlad2k10
26-02-2011, 01:09 AM
sorry what do mean by corner roller internal, external or a internal decorators roller for the internals, if you could buy a 12in box and pump I think that would make us both happy as I don't want to completly want to cross over but on bigger jobs have the option. (this has taken so long to type as I am slaughtered I should get a life)

thanks for the reply :) i got internal rollers after you guys reccomended it much quicker!!!
im looking for a roller for external tapes? was looking at the banjo for appling the internals but not sure defo thinking about buying the flatbox anyway. would i need a smaller one and a larger one? like a small one for first and second coat and the bigger one for finish?

and any idea as to what filler is used in the flat boxes? would you get away with using fastset in them? as youd apply way more way quicker and still have time to clean it out or..............?

Brian S
26-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Steve slaughtered!!!!!!!!!!! no don't believe it:D:D:D

Scotslad I have a 7", 10" and 12" box, I use Easifill in the 7, then Joint cement in the 10, and 12, used to use Fast set, but some of that goes of rock hard so if you mistime it, you have a bit of a problem.
If your going for the boxes you may as well get a corner box and speed everthing up
Have a look in the tips section as well

scottishlad2k10
26-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Steve slaughtered!!!!!!!!!!! no don't believe it:D:D:D

Scotslad I have a 7", 10" and 12" box, I use Easifill in the 7, then Joint cement in the 10, and 12, used to use Fast set, but some of that goes of rock hard so if you mistime it, you have a bit of a problem.
If your going for the boxes you may as well get a corner box and speed everthing up
Have a look in the tips section as well

well the plan is to get a bit at a time like and see if i can get used to it and how quick..... as a novice with flatboxes etc....... its like anything it takes time to get used to and if its taking too long for me to get used to then it would get abandoned and the floats and hawks would come out =]

whats the cheapest/semi decent flatboxes on the market? i would like to get a pretty cheap one to start off with then who knows my collection may grow =]

its a bit like the drywall sander...... had never seen or used one before then gambled with a 60 on ebay which lasted and is great! so then i went on to buy a flex sander which was alot more expencive =] if you know what i mean?

E.K Taper
26-02-2011, 12:21 PM
defo thinking about the flatboxes looks a doddle like. thinking more about them than the banjo.

do you use flatboxes e.k? or you auto?

Hi mate . I trowel on the fast set then a 10" box then 12" box , both velvet. Keep your eye on ebay, thers always something on . If your buying in dribs and drabs then get the 12" box first, so your job is easier finished

Brian S
26-02-2011, 12:27 PM
It shouldn't take any longer than a day and probably a lot less, to get used to the boxes.
Get someone to show you how to use them

A pump is very useful with Joint Cement, but the Fast Set/Easifill I normally load by hand, as you don't want to be cleaning the pump every time as well.

Welcome to "THE DARK SIDE":D

E.K Taper
26-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Scottishlad, found a set for ya on flea bay from USA
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGA-FLAT-BOX-PRO-SET-DRYWALL-TAPING-TOOLS-GOLDBLATT-/350442770281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198044f69
I've bought tools off this guy before, they're spot on.

scottishlad2k10
26-02-2011, 08:25 PM
It shouldn't take any longer than a day and probably a lot less, to get used to the boxes.
Get someone to show you how to use them

A pump is very useful with Joint Cement, but the Fast Set/Easifill I normally load by hand, as you don't want to be cleaning the pump every time as well.

Welcome to "THE DARK SIDE":D

i dont know of anyone who uses them....... i work for a building company ima painter but have done taping for many years..... only guys in the company who do taping apart from me is the plasters..... and they are rough as f**k!! and skip coats and sponge off instead of sanding which is a crap finish so i get thrown on all the taping jobs now unless the paintings alot busier.

scottishlad2k10
26-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi mate . I trowel on the fast set then a 10" box then 12" box , both velvet. Keep your eye on ebay, thers always something on . If your buying in dribs and drabs then get the 12" box first, so your job is easier finished

do you do one skim fastset with the float... 2 skims finish with the boxes?

scottishlad2k10
26-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Scottishlad, found a set for ya on flea bay from USA
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGA-FLAT-BOX-PRO-SET-DRYWALL-TAPING-TOOLS-GOLDBLATT-/350442770281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198044f69
I've bought tools off this guy before, they're spot on.

cheers for the link :P i was actually looking at this lastnight when i was bored :) since i dont know of anyone using them....... il just youtube it eh?