PDA

View Full Version : Best joint filler for boxing??

AyrshireTaper
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Got myself an 8" box the other week and struggling to find a good material to use.
BG and Knauf fillers just drag and roll when touching up.
Gonna try bg easy fill on next house.
Any recommendations??

turktown taper
10-04-2011, 09:42 PM
i know of jointers who box with easi-fill, not me id brick it in case it went off in the pump!!
but i have put joint filler through a nail spotter, no pump open door & load it up, still got to motor though to get it all cleaned before it goes off !!

AyrshireTaper
10-04-2011, 10:13 PM
its not easy on you, but coating all the flats and buts in 90 mins is worth the sweat. At least with easi-fill it sets quite soft so if your timings off theres a chance of saving the pump.

DMC
11-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Wouldnt tempt fate personally,seen 1 pump being totally f****d with fast set being put through it

Brian S
13-04-2011, 01:09 PM
When we did enough taping to require boxes we always used fast set in a 7" box.

We never used a pump, just opened the back and loaded by hand, makes first coating a doddle

Brian S
13-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Forgot to add, Easifill is probably the best/nicest to use, and Lafarge GTec fast set next, but then I haven't tried USG stuff, other than their ready mix Blue lid, which is nice stuff

belmoreboy
13-04-2011, 09:53 PM
got a few customers boxing with usg easysand, as brian says best to fill through back of box door, fast set and pumps is never a great combo!

TonyM
13-04-2011, 10:32 PM
You could always fill the box with a short mud tube. They are cheap enough to bugger up.

Brian S
14-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Tried that one Tony, not very successfully, even made a box filler adaption to help.
Opening the back was quicker and less messy

turrican_007
14-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Why use filler in the box and pump, just ames tape.

Brian S
14-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Simon, Fast set and the box is for speed, if you use mesh tape you can't use Joint Cement.
Using Ames means more drying and curing time.

We have done M/F ceilings in shops were we have had 250m2 at 3.5 metres high, to build, board, joint and sand in 5 days. (plus jointing the changing rooms and store and staff areas)

If it was all done with Ames we would never of done it

grok
14-04-2011, 09:01 PM
always box fill with BG fast set never had a problem in all the time i've done it . Wouldn't dream of doing it by hand ...

AyrshireTaper
15-04-2011, 06:27 PM
cheers for the input guys. ill try hand loading the next time, dont think itll be as fast tho. What is the drying time with usg easysand? is it the same as easi-fill ie 20, 45 or 90 mins.

matt
17-04-2011, 09:56 AM
You need a quick release pump!
Hand loading is no good as the filler is not going through the mesh to catch any crap and you end up with scores all over it, which results in too much time smoothing with taping knife.
You can do a 3 and half bag mix of BG Filler in the one go in around an hour mark and still have time to clean up once you get in the swing off it.
Just remember to check the time when you mixed up.

TonyM
17-04-2011, 12:13 PM
When you box with filler, doesn't the material go crusty around the blade quicker than cement would, therefore making it more likely to get dry bits in your joints?

matt
17-04-2011, 02:31 PM
When you box with filler, doesn't the material go crusty around the blade quicker than cement would, therefore making it more likely to get dry bits in your joints?
No, only if you try to do it on a summer afternoon, but I always make sure there are no windows or doors open and make sure I do it first thing morning at 8am when its still cool.

AyrshireTaper
17-04-2011, 06:38 PM
You need a quick release pump!
You can do a 3 and half bag mix of BG Filler in the one go in around an hour mark and still have time to clean up once you get in the swing off it.
Just remember to check the time when you mixed up.

Thats the way i've been working with it. 3 n half / 4 bags. Problem is the fast set drags like hell when i go back to clean off.
Glad i'm not the only 1 who puts filler thro the pump tho :fing02:

matt
17-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I clean off after every 3-4 visits to the pump. Doesn't drag any, but I admit it does need a scuff down both edges when the blade on the box has been on for a while.
What pump are you using?

belmoreboy
18-04-2011, 09:28 AM
cheers for the input guys. ill try hand loading the next time, dont think itll be as fast tho. What is the drying time with usg easysand? is it the same as easi-fill ie 20, 45 or 90 mins.

Yes mate they do 5, 20, 45 & 90 we only keep the 45 & 90 (bet the 5 wold be a laugh in your pump!)

AyrshireTaper
18-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I clean off after every 3-4 visits to the pump. Doesn't drag any, but I admit it does need a scuff down both edges when the blade on the box has been on for a while.
What pump are you using?
It's a speedtape pro quick release pump I'm using, only got the 1 so that does everything.
The box is brand new so both edges are bang on it's just when tidying up cross joints on ceilings really, and the odd wave:o
I think im just going to far ahead of myself with the box, im boxin all joints downstairs then touch up, box upstairs, wash tools then touch up upstairs.
I'm still playing it safe incase it sets where at least i can fix the joints if it sets but i cant fix the pump.

Brian S
18-04-2011, 05:45 PM
It's a speedtape pro quick release pump I'm using, only got the 1 so that does everything.
The box is brand new so both edges are bang on it's just when tidying up cross joints on ceilings really, and the odd wave:o
I think im just going to far ahead of myself with the box, im boxin all joints downstairs then touch up, box upstairs, wash tools then touch up upstairs.
I'm still playing it safe incase it sets where at least i can fix the joints if it sets but i cant fix the pump.

AT
Try just filling the box by hand, it will take the pressure off rushing to get the pump washed out.
If your working on your own, I would do a long wall, or 2 if they're small then tidy up, the fast set is still fresh.