PDA

View Full Version : finishing jobs other people start.......

scottishlad2k10
23-06-2011, 06:03 PM
once again chucked onto a job thats mayhem! sparkys plumbers crap everywhere and a job started by someone who thinks one skim fast set one skim finish is plenty.... also stickin internals on with finish followed by a skim of finish :w00t:

anyone else get bombsite jobs like this??

amestaper
23-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Personally I don't mind finishing jobs other people started as I usually get to start the next one.
By skim finish on internals, do you mean plaster?

scottishlad2k10
23-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Personally I don't mind finishing jobs other people started as I usually get to start the next one.
By skim finish on internals, do you mean plaster?

nono i mean a skim of filler :) dont quite get it........ for example when you mention skim "im just going to skim this then il be there"

people automatically jump to the plaster? why? lol

people also confuse plastering with taping....... "have you been doing plastering for long? its an art........":nono:

amestaper
23-06-2011, 06:58 PM
2 coats of joint compound should be used for internals, as they are usually applied with a bazooka but on occasions when it needs second coated in a day and its small enough to be done by hand I have used easifill to stick internal corner tapes on.
All about keeping clients happy in tight timescales, when they're paying

Damn blackberry, will respond properly later with sensible size keys and a big monitor

scottishlad2k10
23-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Damn blackberry, will respond properly later with sensible size keys and a big monitor

^ lol i know what you mean htc trophy 7 is also a nightmare online!!

and i just stick my internals on with fast set :) as soon as its on i skim the tape with my internal float then onto the next :) hour later its dry and ready for finish.
externals....... stickthem on with fast set and skim over them with fast set straight away to build it up level with the steel..... then hour later it gets another skim of fast set then bit later maybe even a day itl get a skim of finish :) done

but i think on this occasion the guys not only used finish to stick his internals but also his externals.......

i use finish to stick my internals onto finished walls as it adheres to the painted surface where as fast set dosnt stick it just pops

E.K Taper
23-06-2011, 10:40 PM
once again chucked onto a job thats mayhem! sparkys plumbers crap everywhere and a job started by someone who thinks one skim fast set one skim finish is plenty.... also stickin internals on with finish followed by a skim of finish :w00t:

I've worked on a few bombsite jobs like this . You can either work thru it or walk off it. Generally had to work thru it but occasionally done the latter.

scottishlad2k10
24-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I've worked on a few bombsite jobs like this . You can either work thru it or walk off it. Generally had to work thru it but occasionally done the latter.

ah its crap like.......started the painting undercoating and glossing in this conditions 5 sparks roaming about humping eachother doing jack all day but getting in our way dust and crap everywhere and people wonder why jobs take so long???

i mean painters and tapers shouldnt have to cross paths with sparkys and plumbers their roughing out should be well done just to fit their bits and pieces when the paintings finished. maybe cross paths with joiners as their on their final finishing but its just crap.

E.K Taper
25-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Good luck with it, man. I think this one would have been a 'walker' for me

scottishlad2k10
25-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Good luck with it, man. I think this one would have been a 'walker' for me

it almost has been a walker for me. doing it on my tod so much work its unreal. and the whole building has to be finished by wed. wish theyd buy pre coated mdf skirtings and facings instead of this knotty pine crap timber that way wouldnt need 3 coats (2 undercoat & 1 gloss) such a stressfull job but il hopefully get there.

2buck
26-06-2011, 04:34 AM

Is that a actual picture of the job:confused:

If so, I would walk:)

Brian S
26-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Plus one on that, you can't work in that

scottishlad2k10
26-06-2011, 07:18 PM

yup it sure is an actuall pic i took on my phone of one of the rooms. and yeah actually have to work in that eventually decided to sling all the stuff to F*** out it was pretty tidy then and you could actually move it was mostly all sparkys stuff lazy gits!! following day...... it was back to square one yet people dont seem to realise why jobs take longer than they should???

Brian S
26-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't of bothered, would of told the agent when it's empty, and I'm the only one in there I'll come back and start jointing and the same applies to painting

scottishlad2k10
26-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't of bothered, would of told the agent when it's empty, and I'm the only one in there I'll come back and start jointing and the same applies to painting

wish i could have done that brian. unfortunatly i work for a building company.get jobs like this quite often. did take offence when the boss pulled me up and said "the painting should be alot further ahead" i was like "WTFFFF?"

DMC
29-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I realise that a job is a job these days but i think i would have told them to call me when the job was actually ready.

scottishlad2k10
29-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I realise that a job is a job these days but i think i would have told them to call me when the job was actually ready.

ah well it was ready...... just the amount of crap the sparkys had. stuff everywhere why light fittings and crap showed up on the job when it hadnt even been taped or painted i dont understand... but its almost done now :)

scottishlad2k10
08-07-2011, 07:01 PM
500499498 finished :D wee bit diffrent looking now :)

crack filler
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
:awesome:Nice job

steven gorton
27-09-2011, 05:27 PM
I agree with amestaper. Yoh do get to start the next but it is a ballache and i normally find its more trouble then its worth cause there putting pressure on you cause there behind on the job

moore
28-09-2011, 02:16 AM
500499498 finished :D wee bit diffrent looking now :)
You done someone a huge favor... Looks great!

moore
28-09-2011, 02:30 AM
I think we all get them from time to time..

:rolleyes:

scottishlad2k10
28-09-2011, 12:55 PM
its no bad :L something to moan about lol

E.K Taper
28-09-2011, 11:14 PM
You done someone a huge favor... Looks great!
You did do them a favour Scottishlad but I bet you didnt get any more thanks for it

scottishlad2k10
29-09-2011, 11:22 AM
You did do them a favour Scottishlad but I bet you didnt get any more thanks for it

to be honest E.K i dont think you get thanks for anything these days.expected to go there work in crap messy conditions for pretty crap money....do the work get the money and thats it. slave away all the time to hit the deadlines as other trades take longer than they should,then all the presure is on the guy/s finishing which is the most important part and far more time consuming. but some morons dont realise that.

its a bit like asking someone for a favour. they wont do it unless theres something in it for them. :mad:

moore
29-09-2011, 11:25 PM
to be honest E.K i dont think you get thanks for anything these days.expected to go there work in crap messy conditions for pretty crap money....do the work get the money and thats it. slave away all the time to hit the deadlines as other trades take longer than they should,then all the presure is on the guy/s finishing which is the most important part and far more time consuming. but some morons dont realise that.

its a bit like asking someone for a favour. they wont do it unless theres something in it for them. :mad:

AH MEN ... I'm on a new home now ,,Nice easy running job. 9'-11' ceilings but got good price,,and making good time so far.
BUT today the builder said the hardwood floors are coming tomorrow . He asked If I could have half the house done by Monday
so his men can start on the floors...no problem with me I can give him his half monday .,, but they will still be in my way while I'm
working on the other side.. The sparky/plumber held this job up for 4 weeks ,,so now I have to pay the price.
with rain and humidity the dry time Is not helping either ..

I don't play well with others,, I like to have my homes to myself..I get more done..

2buck
30-09-2011, 03:24 AM

Getting paid is thanks enough for me, and being called upon to do their next job too, it's business

But I also get what your saying too, nothing worse than someone trying to put their size ten boot up your arse, when you on consignment work.

But sometimes I can get where the builders coming from too. There's a lot of wanna bees and guys that suck in this trade. You can see one crew rock and tape out a house in under ten days, then another take over a month to get the same house done. Then I don't even half to get into quality. Plus there's not too much that can get done on a house while the taping is going on. But once the taping is done, they can crank up the production and have multiple trades in the house. Plus over on this side of the pond, when the taping is done, the builder can get his 2nd draw of money from the bank, meaning money in their pocket so.......

Beermonster
30-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Getting paid is thanks enough for me, and being called upon to do their next job too, it's business

But I also get what your saying too, nothing worse than someone trying to put their size ten boot up your arse, when you on consignment work.

But sometimes I can get where the builders coming from too. There's a lot of wanna bees and guys that suck in this trade. You can see one crew rock and tape out a house in under ten days, then another take over a month to get the same house done. Then I don't even half to get into quality. Plus there's not too much that can get done on a house while the taping is going on. But once the taping is done, they can crank up the production and have multiple trades in the house. Plus over on this side of the pond, when the taping is done, the builder can get his 2nd draw of money from the bank, meaning money in their pocket so.......
Its a bit the same over here,after the taper is finished they claim some more cash from home owner!!

scottishlad2k10
30-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Its a bit the same over here,after the taper is finished they claim some more cash from home owner!!

yeah your right! they get paid in completion stages. or stages of completion.:w00t:

moore
30-09-2011, 10:46 PM
In my neck of the woods the builder gets his 2nd draw after the wallboard has been installed[hung] so they want the gibbers there when the boom shows up..

turktown taper
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Plus one on that, you can't work in that
man, i would of thrown all my toys out of the pram !!, then when calmed down if they dont move it i would by chucking it all out the door, or drop shit all over it!!!!!! that normally does the trick!! lol !
& they wonder why the tapers are grumpy!!! :sneaky: