PDA

View Full Version : Rebate Mate

amestaper
11-08-2011, 12:38 PM
The butt edge is one particular joint in plasterboard that occasionally frustrates me as I mostly have to crown and double box it to over 60cm wide to hide any deviations. Surely it shouldnt be too hard for a factory producing sheets to make a rebated edge around 4 sides rather than 2 from off the production line?

Heres a heads up on a new routing tool from Australia that may interest you guys that do your own sheeting. This also works on materials other than plasterboard. Nice to see some new technology developing that addresses the difficulties in hiding butt joints much like the Rocksplicer (http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php/815-Rocksplicer) that was mentioned here last year.

More information can be seen at the Rebate Mate website; http://www.rebatemate.com.au/index.php?pg=2

E.K Taper
11-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Great idea though I cant see it taking off on the sites.
Persimmon are now telling their roughers to stop chasing the tapered edge round the room,eg, above windows and doors, and now they are to stop at each end of the door and patch a 'header' in above:mad: Nightmare!
All to save some plasterboard:banghead:

Brian S
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
That looks the dogs danglies Alex:fing02:
You going to get one?

2buck
12-08-2011, 02:41 AM
smart idea till he glued the paper back on that he cut off, that's where he lost me..... but as I think while I type,,,, I guess you would half to or the screws will give away too easy. Even if he took it off the back side of the dry wall, that would cause it to recess too.

The hard part would be getting the rockers to use it.

Going to steal your link Amestaper, see what the yanks say about it, I'll give you the credit:)

V.Sac
12-08-2011, 04:21 AM
This tool has been trialled and has had 1000s of rebates done over past two to three years.It has had tremendous results with good positive feedback. The cost savings on maintenance call backs are amazing.
In regards to the paper being removed. The paper is not removed. the machine cuts below the actual paper and is folded back with a specially formulated rebatemate glue designed for this purpose, therefore leaving a result of a very strong flat finish. Very easy and fast procedure. It provides a dust free environment when used with a vacuum system. It also rebates fibre cement products as well as plasterboard. The website rebatemate.com.au website is being updated frequently
Thankyou

E.K Taper
12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
:awesome:You're well informed Sir!
Are you involved with this invention?

amestaper
12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
That looks the dogs danglies Alex:fing02:
You going to get one?

I'm still waiting on tools being shipped from North America, so think I will give buying from overseas a miss thanks. I think the inventor may be onto something here though, don't you?

The hard part would be getting the rockers to use it.

Going to steal your link Amestaper, see what the yanks say about it, I'll give you the credit:)

No problem mate. Glad I found a new tool on the internet worth talking about, but like you said will the guys who build the walls and ceilings be given any extra for rebating the joint or even give a toss? Thats highly unlikely if two different firms are doing the sheeting and taping.

You're well informed Sir!
Are you involved with this invention?

It looks likely, and I appreciate their quick reply while the topic is still warm.

fulcrum
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
So this particular tool aside - sounds like you are all pretty much on the fence about whether anyone would pay for eliminating the hump. We developed a method for doing something very similar with the curved drywall corners (because we had to be able to offer tapered edges if the corners were butting up to a vertical sheet). http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php/952-Curved-drywall-corners?highlight=curve
I think our way would be faster. At the time we toyed with the idea of trying to promote it to drywallers as well as use it internally in making our curved corners but it got shuffled to the bottom of the pack as other more interesting things came along. Always happy to revisit an idea if somebody is interested....

Brian S
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm still waiting on tools being shipped from North America, so think I will give buying from overseas a miss thanks. I think the inventor may be onto something here though, don't you?

I think you could be right there!

No problem mate. Glad I found a new tool on the internet worth talking about, but like you said will the guys who build the walls and ceilings be given any extra for rebating the joint or even give a toss? Thats highly unlikely if two different firms are doing the sheeting and taping.

I think it doesn't have to be 2 different firms, just one firm with one set of guys boarding and another taping, and if they're on m2, it'll be sod the taper, he'll have to get over it:nono:

amestaper
13-08-2011, 09:25 AM
It makes sense Brian and I would absolutely use this tool if the stud work and taping was in the same contract. Unfortunately its mostly chippies that do the sheeting here and the taping is done by the painting contractor. So the $64k question is will the boarders take the hit when rates are tight enough?

You should also notice that it is rebated underneath the paper, which is then folded back with glue. Loss of strength, popping screws and blisters if the paper isnt fixed properly is something that concerns but maybe has a solution already? Could it be rebated from the back of the sheet and bent in somehow?

Ultimately I still think the obligation lies with the plasterboard manufacturers to create the bevel edge on 4 sides. How hard can it be to press an indent into the sheets at whatever the board size is intervals on the production line?

A rep from the company has registered during the night and hopefully he will be along to comment soon.

amestaper
13-08-2011, 09:27 AM
I think our way would be faster. At the time we toyed with the idea of trying to promote it to drywallers as well as use it internally in making our curved corners but it got shuffled to the bottom of the pack as other more interesting things came along. Always happy to revisit an idea if somebody is interested....

Please lets hear your ideas mate. I would appreciate you starting a topic in a new thread though.

amestaper
14-09-2011, 05:54 PM
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/amestaper/12900d1b.jpg

Realeased tomorrow. Youtube promo is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8ZP-rDNGM

2buck
15-09-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't know, still don't see it catching on, maybe for a guy that does it all, rock, tape, paint etc..... but to hire a sub trade and and go
' look at the tool I want you to use" I don't see it happening.

Still say he should cut the stripe off the back of the sheet, then it would be like using a butt backer or rock splicer http://www.ezbacker.com/rock_splicer.html

Plus , to pull out a vacuum cleaner too...... well..... would like to see how much dust she kicks up without the vacuum hooked up http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sHa_whistle.gif

plasterchick
12-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi all, sounds like a great tool. Of course it is, I should know, we built one, patented it and have used it for nearly 20 years. So this is old news.

2buck
12-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Hi all, sounds like a great tool. Of course it is, I should know, we built one, patented it and have used it for nearly 20 years. So this is old news.
so are you going to sue ?????:sneaky:

amestaper
16-10-2011, 01:39 PM

I spent what little spare time I have Googling, Facebooking and Twittering new developments and drywall tools from all over the world, with a slight emphasis on linking back to or mentioning tools NOT from the usual suspects and major players that tradesman in our part of the world are accustomed to using every day. Basically for 2 reasons, it's something different for us to talk about and also point folks to your website for more information if they like what they see.

It may be I've picked you up wrong, but from your short comment I figure that; Either you're not familiar with the concept of viral internet marketing and free publicity, or you wish to keep this all to yourselves in Australia? ;)

so are you going to sue ?????:sneaky:
Makes you wonder 2buck? I may also decide to stop posting links to antipodean drywall tool giants websites who by their own reports, appear to be 20 years ahead in development of anything we currently use in Europe or North America.

the_tapeinator
16-10-2011, 09:10 PM
sorry alex but i think plasterchcks trolling vsacs post. didnt you here, its a 20 year old tool that they have used and nobody outside of australia has heard off. it must be a fu(ken shit invention and nothing to be smug about if they posted under a alias username. i dont know why you bother man, the yank tools are better and easier to get hold of

fulcrum
17-10-2011, 12:46 PM
If it was patented, as claimed then it would be easy to find in a patent search....
I can't be sure it wasn't patented down under but I took a long hard look at the US patent data base and didn't find anything.
I love reading patents - hey Chickie, how about posting the patent # & country of filing so we can see it?

uktaper
23-09-2012, 11:41 AM
you gotta be kidding me,youre lucky to get boarders to put their sgrews in right,nice idea if youre boarding yourself and supplying mterials tho