PDA

View Full Version : Union sites

snappy
30-08-2011, 11:38 AM
* Comments moved from this thread:
http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php/1394-Need-help-with-columbia-taper

Sorry mate , Not yet im on a union site and we are not allowed to use them . Going to have to wait till the next job .
An yes it is bugging me too.

E.K Taper
30-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Whats a union site??? And why dont they let ya use a bazooka? Its like getting a painter in but he's not allowed a roller......:crazy1:

2buck
31-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Whats a union site??? And why dont they let ya use a bazooka? Its like getting a painter in but he's not allowed a roller......:crazy1:

It's the same over here in the land of snow, maybe more confusing though, On the big Government jobs etc... you don't pull out the tools, it's all done by hand. and if you did take tools into those jobs, odds are you vehicle will be trashed by the other workers before quitting time. In one way it makes sense, from the workers perspective. why use your tools to speed up a job your getting paid by the hour to do. your just going to work yourself out of work. Plus I have been on those type of jobs, your treated like sh1t, unless your good at kissing the lead hands arse. It's not my cup of tea, but in some ways I will give what I call
'those union Union workers" credit. They get pushed hard, and are being screamed and shouted at all day...... It's more like factory work IMO

But now, the Union has branched out into the private sector world in Canuck land, I would say the majority of us work for a large drywall company. So now if your on contract or piece work (sq ft or meter) your in the union. It's not too bad, you never see the union reps, the sq ft rate is set, you get so much for bead, things like cathedrals, coffered,vaults etc you get extra........

Most guys couldn't give 2 hoots for the union, but after this last recession, our rates did not go crashing down as in most recessions, Everyone was like, this is the rate, this is what you pay.....so it was a good thing...... Not praising unions or nothing but, in the private sector, the union is something that is "just there" there's no real talk of it. But those union guys by the hour, their all union talk i found, the union is God well the company is the devil

amestaper
31-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Not once have I ever saw a union rep on site here, I believe they had their wings clipped by Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the 1980's.

snappy
31-08-2011, 10:52 AM
What 2buck said , But unions here treat you like gold .
Always coming up to me saying dont work to hard mate there is always tommorow this is not housing , There always about safety safety safety , But it probly has more to do with slowing down the jobs more then anything else .
You get paid really well on union sites here almost double to what you will get as a worker in the private sector and thats before penalty rates/overtime blah blah blah . An yeah basically if i walk on to the site with a bazooka and boxes i will be going about as fast as 3 blokes by hand . An seeing that the union gets $7 per hour of every worker the more workers the better .

snappy
31-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Well seeing this is a New thread no i will elaborate why i like union sites .
I run my own company i have 6 full time blokes working for me doing houses . We work very hard all year trying to make cash on metre rates . Around this time of year i always try to get a union job . To give my boys a break from work and me without taking a holiday you don't work hard you get a 3 day weekend a fortnight with pay and don't work a minute past a 8 hour day .
I make less money then usual but they make more , simply because on these sites i get put on wages as well and just become a co-worker but it also allows me to take the time to train my apprentice on someone else dime .
I do this for about a month then its back in to houses for the Christmas rush .
Sure there are down sides but the positives generlly outway them

TonyM
31-08-2011, 04:55 PM
So union jobs are for the lazy then?
This always annoys the hell out of me when you put men on price work, they work as fast as they can, and then once they go on hourly for whatever reason, you get hardly any work out of them. I'm glad the unions died a death over here.

snappy
01-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Basically there are blokes that work nothing but union , But the union wont let you work hard its all about milking the money on a massive scale .
Your not standing around talking shit all day your working but the way they restrict you like no stilts , only ladders with platforms anything over 1.2 m high needs a gaurd rail . All that kind of stuff just sucks time so your not able to get the metres done you ussually would .
Also the jobs are never straight forward

2buck
01-09-2011, 07:03 AM
So union jobs are for the lazy then?
This always annoys the hell out of me when you put men on price work, they work as fast as they can, and then once they go on hourly for whatever reason, you get hardly any work out of them. I'm glad the unions died a death over here.

Yes and no tony

I don't like the hour work, but some days they can get pushed really hard. The kid that works for me worked for them for 1/2 a year, he felt he got pushed harder buy the hour with them. I too felt they had crazy demands. really, it's more like factory work. To me you never had control of your day (with P/W you do) you never knew what your task would be from day to day, one day your pushed hard, the next day it's easy. Then there was what clown you would get stuck working with........ it's more like factory work

But from some of the stuff I have read on your site, it feels like I stepped into a time machine back to the 80's, stuff like kitchen cupboards moved in well your still working, no heat, houses not completely done when you start, quality control guys picking apart your work (snagging) sounds like safety cost you guys production over there. A lot of little things I read where you go WOW, I remember they use to try that cr@p with us.

I'm not in love with Unions, but they are there to help the working man , the lumber jack, fisherman,minor ,construction worker, the blue collar man, but now they love the civil servants better, they like the cop, teacher, doctor, postal worker etc..... they like that government bottom less pit,,,,,,, it will be the unions downfall,,,,,, over here at least

amestaper
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
But from some of the stuff I have read on your site, it feels like I stepped into a time machine back to the 80's, stuff like kitchen cupboards moved in well your still working, no heat, houses not completely done when you start, quality control guys picking apart your work (snagging) sounds like safety cost you guys production over there. A lot of little things I read where you go WOW, I remember they use to try that cr@p with us.

I get the general feeling safety issues are never in my best interests for production, site management from the collar and tie types in cosy offices does have a habit of forgetting procedure when it suits them and their own agendas. Kitchen cupboards, bathrooms, no heat, doors and facings/skirtings already fitted and no windows etc etc etc while taping is still underway is the norm on many sites while the HSE's (Health and Safety Executive) not around. I've lost count of how many times I've had to work around a boxed up kitchen they should have stored elsewhere... how many I've broken, and how many rooms I've left unfinished.

If someone at the top isn't doing their job right with schedules and timetables, it's certainly not them that suffers and many turn a blind eye while a free all scrambles and fights break out over limited space as 3 or 4 different trades work on the same plot.

I havent done sites for 2 years. Good riddance!