PDA

View Full Version : site work

JON RAMBO
08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
iv had enough of shite work! got told off last week for wearing hard hat wrong way round! apparantly some bloke fell back and the peek snapped his neck....now been told woolly hats are band..it stops the inside of hard hat working properly....what a load of bull shit. just taped 5 garages full of staircases and 2nd fix gear they were`nt preaching health and safety then!! and there was a seikh bloke on site and he doesnt have to wear hard hat because of religion..what that all about. there must be someone on our side who we can turn to for advice and stop this health and safety bull shit.

TonyM
08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
That's one of the reasons I don't work on large sites anymore. I'd probably only last until crib time and then punch the site agents lights out for telling me to put a drip tray under my generator or that all my power tools needed a pat test by the site sparky at a cost of 10 per tool, cash! Not to mention the sub 2 a metre rates which would put me in a bad mood before I even got there.

amestaper
09-11-2011, 12:18 PM
there must be someone on our side who we can turn to for advice and stop this health and safety bull shit.

There is. Download this file http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=259
and get the site agent to sign it. Now both parties can play the health and safety game.

scottishlad2k10
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
niceone :)

E.K Taper
09-11-2011, 09:51 PM
and there was a seikh bloke on site and he doesnt have to wear hard hat because of religion...
You would get a right laff if he DID wear a hardhat on top of that!

2buck
11-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Man, we got it bad here too, But I think you lads got it even more worse over there with the H&S cr@p.

I left the commercial/large sites due to the safety junk. If paying by the hour, they can fire all the safety junk they want to at you, follow them to the letter of the law, it cost them money. I have a buddy who's a millwright, who makes huge money by the hour. Said when ever Companies or H&S guys played their safety games on them, they just play them back at them twice as hard. Because a lot of the rules are B.S. you can really bring production to a halt. Once I was on a Union (hr wk) jobsite, those bloody clowns would call in the H&S dudes themselfs, hoping to shut the job down, then they could get the rest of the day off with pay.

But when on consignment/piece work, the deck of cards is stacked against you. The squeaky wheel don't don't get the most grease in this case, it gets replaced. Whats a man to do, there's no easy solution.

I personally went back to houses (less money), but even then, you still got to keep looking over your shoulder for the safety dude. But least there's nobody bitching at you to ,wear your hard hat, can't have a radio, another safety meeting at 12:00, are those safety shoes, let me check the expiry date on your hard hat, no smoking, no mp3 players, no mud fights:w00t:

screw it, nobody moves, and nobody gets hurt:sneaky:

scottishlad2k10
14-11-2011, 08:24 PM
why do we need handrails on small scaffold towers and toe boards? why dont the slaters need hand rails on their roof boards? why dont they need toe boards? if anythings going to come down its gna come from the top! as for radios theyrrrrrrr sh** heads! step ladders,ladders need permits which last no more than 15 mins. lightweight towers are only suitable for short spells also. anything longer than a few hours a full on steel scaffold has to be errected by qualified scaffolders. scaffolds all need tags........ all toeboards handrails etc etc etc no food or drink including juice or water on site. gloves must be worn. who works with gloves on? :S

E.K Taper
14-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Had a bad day, Scottishlad?????????:w00t:

scottishlad2k10
15-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Had a bad day, Scottishlad?????????:w00t:

indeed getting sick of this crap now. send the irish packing!!!!!

DMC
18-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Started on a new site yesterday, house was neat and tidy, sheeting looked ok, barrell of water at the front door. Looking good. Salamander heater arrives, no one can connect it unless certified, the same person is the only one to put it on and off and when its on it has to be fenced off. The gas bottle has to be outside (fare enough) pity the hose is only about 6ft long, heater sits right at a open door, got to love it.

mancman
18-11-2011, 07:49 PM
why do we need handrails on small scaffold towers and toe boards? why dont the slaters need hand rails on their roof boards? why dont they need toe boards? if anythings going to come down its gna come from the top! as for radios theyrrrrrrr sh** heads! step ladders,ladders need permits which last no more than 15 mins. lightweight towers are only suitable for short spells also. anything longer than a few hours a full on steel scaffold has to be errected by qualified scaffolders. scaffolds all need tags........ all toeboards handrails etc etc etc no food or drink including juice or water on site. gloves must be worn. who works with gloves on? :S

dont forget, towers have to have brakes on all wheels at all times and exclusion zones set up with barriers in all work areas... when working above 6 inches all tools have to be tethered with wrist lanyards ...it's all bollocks.

2buck
19-11-2011, 05:34 AM
... when working above 6 inches all tools have to be tethered with wrist lanyards ...it's all bollocks.

Wha wha wha what WTF, plz explain:w00t:

sounds like you guys got it worse over there:(

DMC
19-11-2011, 07:35 AM
when working on a zip up scaffold at a height of 2 feet i got a yellow card for not having toe boards fitted, yet i can use a hop up at the same height with no problems???? H&S bullshit, what happened to common sense? the construction industry could save millions if they got rid of most of the H&S crap.

amestaper
19-11-2011, 09:24 AM
dont forget, towers have to have brakes on all wheels at all times and exclusion zones set up with barriers in all work areas... when working above 6 inches all tools have to be tethered with wrist lanyards ...it's all bollocks.

Wrist lanyards??? Like a wii strap for your taping blades?

mancman
19-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Wrist lanyards??? Like a wii strap for your taping blades?

yep, i worked on a bovis site the other year (media city, salford) and ALL hand tools had to be tethered to your wrist when working at height. f***ing crazy.

amestaper
19-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Perhaps its time they close every site because its so dangerous? Just thinking.... hypothetically if you happen to be tethered to a full pail of joint cement or hawk/trowel and working off a tressel or something similar, then if it falls to the floor causing whiplash or an elbow dislocation. That is ok by them?

Somebody at the HSE must be feeling really important after they had this brainstorm that keeps them in a job and lording it over everyone else. What happened to the old rules? - Only dumbasses work below people with sharp tools that can fall on their heads (that must also be covered with hardhats)

It seems this system is all about covering the employers/site owners arses with a papertrail to match should it end up in court. There is no such thing as an accident anymore, any mishap is always someones fault and they aim to make sure the liability is yours. Not theirs.

2buck
20-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Perhaps its time they close every site because its so dangerous? Just thinking.... hypothetically if you happen to be tethered to a full pail of joint cement or hawk/trowel and working off a tressel or something similar, then if it falls to the floor causing whiplash or an elbow dislocation. That is ok by them?

Somebody at the HSE must be feeling really important after they had this brainstorm that keeps them in a job and lording it over everyone else. What happened to the old rules? - Only dumbasses work below people with sharp tools that can fall on their heads (that must also be covered with hardhats)

It seems this system is all about covering the employers/site owners arses with a papertrail to match should it end up in court. There is no such thing as an accident anymore, any mishap is always someones fault and they aim to make sure the liability is yours. Not theirs.

I think someone in Canada is studying all your safety rules, Just a few years ago, they came out with that Motto of " there's no such thing as a accident"..... translation , were not going to cover your arse if you hurt yourself, your injury was preventable, no money for you.

and as you say, the bureaucrats got to come up with some dumb rules, so they can move up their LADDER of success, at our expense. Whats the answer to change it, Well they (the bureaucrats) say get out and vote, how do you vote out bureaucrats , who have life time protected jobs ???????

Not to get all political but, I look at stuff in the UK, and I would say you guys are 10 years a head of us in nanny state/ big brother stuff, so I see where were headed. But then I look at the states, and I see were (canada) 10 years a head of them in Political B.S stuff.

What do you got to do to be heard, I don't want to tie tools to myself, I see it cominghttp://www.myemoticons.com/images/emotions/sad/crying-1.gif

crack filler
21-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Many a year ago I was taping a ceiling off a crate, the crate toppled I kept hold of my trowel and cut a couple of tendons in my wrist. There's no way I will be tying my tools to parts of my body.

jase hag
21-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Many a year ago I was taping a ceiling off a crate, the crate toppled I kept hold of my trowel and cut a couple of tendons in my wrist. There's no way I will be tying my tools to parts of my body.

i nearly done that aswell mate,surely tying tools to your is a health & safety risk.makes you think who makes these rules up.what ever happened to good old commen sense.

DMC
21-11-2011, 05:05 PM
In the same vein as the previous replies i dropped a trowel, it went into the top of my foot, (wearing trainers) i wont be tying anything with a sharp edge to my person.

amestaper
22-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah they're sharp alright. I once worked with an older fellow years ago who only leaned into, and I mean literally tickled, the 12 inch blade of the guy picking off some snots next to him and he had to go to hospital for multiple stitches in his arm. I've made the mistake of trying to catch a blade that slipped from my hand only once, so bollocks to falling on one that's tied to me.

Obviously better health and safety was needed on site but that last Labour government just went crazy with red tape, rules and regulations that killed production. Why would anyone want to work on a building site for anything other than an hourly rate now? From the ashes of the construction industry rose a new profession.... and it's looking over your shoulder making sure you are doing yours safely.

Its very important that accident statistics will have fallen over the last 14 years and nobody deserves to be hurt, or worse, die at their place of work. However, another possibility worth noting is that whoever pays for the research, surveys, graphs, pie charts etc will want a return on their investment and display only the stats in their favour to suit their own agendas.