PDA

View Full Version : Patch up job

amestaper
20-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Usually I dislike patching other peoples mistakes but this was an exception to the rule.

We got a call after another contractor failed to complete the first two on schedule. 3 or 4 guys had spent around 3 weeks hand taping 2 houses with plywood caulkers they had made up, not even hawks or trowels. They had quoted a price which was around a third of what it should have been and would eventually have put them out of business. We discovered that internal tapes and corners had been stuck on with PVA and coated up even though they were hollow. The internals were up for good but you could knock the window ingoes off just by leaning on them. This was the worst taping I have ever seen, no shitting.

We fixed this for a company we had never worked for before. It was difficult, but after dealing with the first 2 houses to the best of our ability, we were offered another 12 to tape and 14 to paint and were on site for the best part of 3 months.

I got associated with a good paying new contact. Sometimes everything is not as it appears because this job seemed a total disaster we considered walking away from. Haste ye back:shhh:.

TonyM
20-04-2009, 10:51 PM
My mate and I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. An Ex-Artexer had started taping a big dormer bungalow. He was using a plastic artex caulker. Needless to say, there were depressions in the middle of every tapered joint. Some of the joints had one coat, some two and some three. Some joints were already 18 inches wide. The nailspots were huge. He had done no internals or bead work nor ventured upstairs to the sloping ceilings and dormer windows,but had a 1000 draw off the builder and was not answering his phone.
We finished the job and billed the builder for the total meterage, which he paid. Two or three jobs down the line, the builder is now using another complete tosser to do his jointing. They'll never learn.

admin
02-07-2009, 03:14 PM
This is just like the superstars thread. Some guys consider themselves time served in a few days.

SpeedtapePRO
02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I had something similar happen to me a few years back. A company I worked for brought in a new squad of tapers, who didn't like to abide by The H&S standards on-site, and after a heated 'discussion' got put off site by the manager. Little did they know the team had already run their internals, and rolled out.

The next day they wer obviously solid, and some numpty has the job of repairing the half finished job!

Luckily for me I got well covered for the fiasco, so it actually worked out in my favour :)

Marc