PDA

View Full Version : what materials do you prefer?

wallpaul
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
i always prefer to use gyproc filler (red) then gyproc quicksand.

just wondered what you guys prefer to work with.

jase hag
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
i use gyproc filler and gtec smartmix xtra.

TonyM
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM

I was like you until my supplier wanted 23 + vat a bag for Quicksand. Went back to BG Joint Cement, but switching to Smartmix Extra soon.

Brian S
12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I like Easifill and Lafarge GTec Joint Cement

crack filler
13-12-2011, 10:31 AM
In today's climate the cheapest

E.K Taper
13-12-2011, 02:57 PM
BG Joint filler (Red) and BG joint cement is hard to beat . Tried Lafarge and Knauf but they're not as good

wallpaul
13-12-2011, 04:49 PM
never used smartmix extra! who makes it?

TonyM
13-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Lafarge

grok
14-12-2011, 07:45 PM
i tried sheetrock ready mixed jc today what a load of sh@t .. Gyproc filler and joint cement all the way. Whats so special about this smartmix extra then Tony .

TonyM
14-12-2011, 08:08 PM
i tried sheetrock ready mixed jc today what a load of sh@t .. Gyproc filler and joint cement all the way. Whats so special about this smartmix extra then Tony .

It's got guts, unlike most other readymixed lightweight compounds, and it sands easily.

RUFFDIAMOND
14-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Gyproc but to dear
just orderd some lafarge g-tec trade joint filler, and lafarge g-tec joint cement,
not used it before but price seems good.

E.K Taper
14-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I used lafarge filler and cement on a job in the summer and it was ok ruffdiamond. Sands easy peasy too! Gyproc still best though

Tommy
20-12-2011, 06:35 PM

did u mixed ?
:raspberry: :roll:

i use gyproc filler and sheetrock ready mixed but today i find a bag of Quicksand it's dry Quicker but to work with it aaaaaa sh.........

TonyM
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Sanded my first house today that I used the Smartmix Extra on. It took approximately half the time it would have taken using BG Joint Cement.

big g
04-03-2012, 01:23 PM

usually BG fast set and BG joint cement,but just sanded a house that i had left for about 6 weeks and the heating had been on for weeks,jeez than god for flex sander.
i had used sheetrock blue top for finishing my flex tapes,i dont like using it through my boxes (no body)but was pleased with finish i got on my flex tapes and it sanded no bother compared to joint cement.
but overall will stick with BG just not leave it as long before sanding.

savage
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
using easi fill for first coat(curved blade trowel) second coat arrow, with a sollution added when final mixed to eliminate air holes and make the product easier to sand and trowel, can top over internals after leaving them for twnty min after installing even this time of year. the sollution helps the cement to retard slightly making this possible. and at 10.50 a bag the arrow is hard to beat for site work at least. one bag mixes up 30 Lt. only getting 1.70 a meter so price stops me from suppling ready mix or no- coat angle would love to use all the exspensive stuff but cant afford it. this method gives good (in a day completion) results. best i have found... lafarge all set extra is also great, infact all the axtra range is great. joint cement a little more exspensive than arrow and mixes up less... if your three coating and leaving each coat to dry then you can use just about any thing. i dont get the time or the price for this. i would only be working for two hours a day lol

TonyM
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
using easi fill for first coat(curved blade trowel) second coat arrow, with a sollution added when final mixed to eliminate air holes and make the product easier to sand and trowel, can top over internals after leaving them for twnty min after installing even this time of year. the sollution helps the cement to retard slightly making this possible. and at 10.50 a bag the arrow is hard to beat for site work at least. one bag mixes up 30 Lt. only getting 1.70 a meter so price stops me from suppling ready mix or no- coat angle would love to use all the exspensive stuff but cant afford it. this method gives good (in a day completion) results. best i have found... lafarge all set extra is also great, infact all the axtra range is great. joint cement a little more exspensive than arrow and mixes up less... if your three coating and leaving each coat to dry then you can use just about any thing. i dont get the time or the price for this. i would only be working for two hours a day lol

Easifill takes ages to lose the moisture so no wonder you have to put something in the cement to get rid of air holes. Your joints must take days to dry this time of year before they are ready for sanding. If you were getting 3 a metre, would you do it any differently?

savage
04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
no mate the easi fill is not the reason i put a sollution in my cement mix. the holes i reffer too are the ones you can get not just from damp but by leaving too much on. for three pound a meter, well i would just use regular filler and three coat. second and third being joint cement. its the drying time inbetween coats the having to go back days later that stops me from thee coating. have to say with all set extra filler or the easi fill or the sheetrock easy sand 90 i have had no problems with water retention or shrunk back joints. we only have to fill a taper and fill out a angle and sand it back smooth. if this could be done in one coat then there would be nothing wrong with it. people loose sight of the objective in our trade. fill so flush and then sand. simple. as long as it looks good after the heating gets left on for a few months then you know your doing it right. oh for 3 a meter i would never go near metal angle tape again. its crap. one reason people think drywall is crap too. no coat or steel beads much better. when your dong three beds for 550 spending 80 on no coat aint a option.

TonyM
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
No coat is great stuff but at 40 a box, like you say, you just can't afford to use it.

savage
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
well i cant see why they use metal for the angle tape, its too unreliable. all the brands suffer problem at some point. surly a paper/card/vynil laminate would be cheaper and better. why is no-coat 40 a box. its a piss take. saw some external tape that stuck just like wet and stick internal tape the other day but cant see it working... in the real world maybe in the lab lol. angles are raerly perfect so you need compound behind the tape to allow for this. what do you use tony? tried sticking beads back with that pink grip foam stuff? nice to see lafarge finally coming good with the extra range, their stuff has been crap for the last 15 years... tried the angle tape? thin and crap... arrow angle tape is the best of a bag bunch and 7 a roll is not too bad a price. loving the sheetrock paper tape, just need them to sort out our compliance issues so we can go back to using what we want.

TonyM
04-03-2012, 04:23 PM
I use the USG tape on beads. They have Sheetrock and Beadex brand (all the same stuff really). Works out abut 45p a metre ex vat. I'm using the Sheetrock paper tape too. Are you told what materials to use then?

savage
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
every one who works on any project for the big building companys are subject to compliance. all my sites are bound to BG but the angents and contractor look the other way most of the time. if the rep comes round your in trouble or the build director. my answer to the BG rep is simple... make the best stuff make it competivly price and every one will use it on every site round the whole of the uk. like you said the other day quicksand is great i used it for years, but BG are a litte wierd about selling it. they often claim not to even make it... very strange. 24 a bag... jog on BG! changing over to sheetrock powder next week but will suffer stress from supervisor they love seeing the BG easi fill bags in the skip but at 9.16 a 10 Kg bag its killing me. compliance is my biggest stress. even when your doing a great job very quickly i still get ' oh tom i found a arrow bag in a skip/bin today' knobs.

TonyM
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
every one who works on any project for the big building companys are subject to compliance. all my sites are bound to BG but the angents and contractor look the other way most of the time. if the rep comes round your in trouble or the build director. my answer to the BG rep is simple... make the best stuff make it competivly price and every one will use it on every site round the whole of the uk. like you said the other day quicksand is great i used it for years, but BG are a litte wierd about selling it. they often claim not to even make it... very strange. 24 a bag... jog on BG! changing over to sheetrock powder next week but will suffer stress from supervisor they love seeing the BG easi fill bags in the skip but at 9.16 a 10 Kg bag its killing me. compliance is my biggest stress. even when your doing a great job very quickly i still get ' oh tom i found a arrow bag in a skip/bin today' knobs.

I'm glad i've kept away from these jobs then. You are doing well to get Easifill for that price. Not paid sub 10 for a long time.

Davie@ATT
15-06-2012, 09:30 PM
B.G. all the way!!!

sq ames taper
16-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Bg joint fillerGtec smart mix extra joint cement& the best corner tape around is wondertex metal tape

forestbhoy
16-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Bg joint fillerGtec smart mix extra joint cement& the best corner tape around is wondertex metal tape

Take it thats flex tape....where can it be brought mate...? just used that sheetrock and thats as good as i've used in years.......might be worth a try if the price is right...

sq ames taper
16-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Flex tape yes, dont know how much it is as im labour only just now but it wont be any more than what you're paying now, think you'll get at dulux & jhonstones

forestbhoy
16-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Dulux and Johnstones.....i'll have a look...cheers..

sq ames taper
16-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Dulux and Johnstones.....i'll have a look...cheers..No probs mate

sq ames taper
20-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Working on a site just now and its arrow walls& ceilings, joint cement is quite good to work with and doesn't seem to shrink dries quick too but not to keen on there fast set, seems to go a bit gummy after a wee while.

E.K Taper
21-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Take it thats flex tape....where can it be brought mate...? just used that sheetrock and thats as good as i've used in years.......might be worth a try if the price is right...
Yeah the wondertex metal tape is quite good, think CCF do it as our contractor gets all his stuff from there. I got some in a merchants in Hamilton and think it was 14 a box

forestbhoy
22-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah the wondertex metal tape is quite good, think CCF do it as our contractor gets all his stuff from there. I got some in a merchants in Hamilton and think it was 14 a box

Cheers bud.....i'll keep an eye out.

chester
15-07-2012, 09:43 PM
2 coats esi fill finnish with 12 box set on 5 with pro-mix lite job done.

saleen836
28-07-2012, 09:49 AM

HOW MUCH!!???

I get mine from a local merchant (Sydenhams) and have been paying 8.40 a roll

E.K Taper
30-07-2012, 08:59 PM
HOW MUCH!!???

I get mine from a local merchant (Sydenhams) and have been paying 8.40 a roll

Is that based on the amount you buy from him Saleen?? I dont buy a lot from merchants as the majority of my contractors supply, so I wouldnt be getting as big a discount, if any, as you would?

saleen836
30-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Is that based on the amount you buy from him Saleen?? I dont buy a lot from merchants as the majority of my contractors supply, so I wouldnt be getting as big a discount, if any, as you would?

No idea, I just told them I would be buying between 10-20 rolls a month and that is the price they gave me, their first quoted price on fiba tape was around 3 a roll, when I said i'm not paying that when i'm buying 24-48 rolls a month (1-2 boxes) the gave me a price of 1.50 a roll.

E.K Taper
30-07-2012, 09:35 PM
yeah, the merchants in Hamilton I referred to, I just walked in off the street so I had no deal with them. I dont have to buy as much as you by the sounds of things so your making a good saving buying as much as you do

sq ames taper
31-07-2012, 07:58 PM
No idea, I just told them I would be buying between 10-20 rolls a month and that is the price they gave me, their first quoted price on fiba tape was around 3 a roll, when I said i'm not paying that when i'm buying 24-48 rolls a month (1-2 boxes) the gave me a price of 1.50 a roll.

thats alot of metal tape saleen,, at least some ones busy out there

saleen836
09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
thats alot of metal tape saleen,, at least some ones busy out there

Putting out 5 houses a fortnight, been doing so for the past 12 months on same site.