PDA

View Full Version : sheetrock hopper questions

main8
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
hello
i was wondering if any of you guys use the sheetrock hopper and external bedding in wheel, if you can give me your opion on how well they work or not if they can save you time and what product you use with it, at the min i am using gtec witch doesnt recomend using on externals for bedding in as far as i can gather i cant get sheetrock products here (aberdeenshire)

the method i use for externals is gyproc fastset then a coat of gtec/promix

cheers

JON RAMBO
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
dont waste your money. stick with fast set and cream method just work on your speed!

main8
07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
right its as bad as that

crack filler
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Totally disagree I use the hopper and an external corner roller and it really knocks the time off. There was another way mentioned on here and that was to use a BTE mud pump and an external angle head. This I think would be slightly quicker again as there is a lot of toing and froing with the hopper, but still in my opinion worth the money. Just as an example I work with a mate by the time he has scrimmed a house up I have normally cut and fixed all the externals.

savage
08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
umm... unless your doing a big house with boxes and boxes of angle i would stick to :five inch knife to coat up and external roller to fix. not much for sticking angle back with joint cement mate, not this time of year. surly thats a summer treat lol. but like all methods it depends on how quick and neat you are in the first place. maybe there is merrit to a tube and external head but never seems to put the grear on the point of the external and its not spring loaded so if bording is pants your going to have some messing about to enjoy. i scrimed up cut angle and full first coated a three bed barrats house to day in about two hours forty min by hand with said method. how quick do you want to be? seems plain rude to go any faster....

crack filler
08-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Would be rude to go faster lol. Never used the tube just offering up ideas but you are right boarding has to be good for both methods, but I do like the hopper and it works for me though it did not like the cold weather today

savage
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
bloody cold mate. should be in some upmarket thi whore house. had some time off befor xmas so having to work in the cold. bad times... maybe they should just be a mini bucket (10L) for the bead hopper and make it easy to use filler through it. got a pressure washer the other day. runs on 18v bat and its own water reserve(no mains hose needed) great for cleaning angle heads and boxes and pumps.... good old brush still best for buckets and hawlk.

main8
08-02-2012, 05:40 PM
cheers for the different opions but as far as speed goes the work we do never has had a time limit its all about the finish product, there is no way i could keep up with filling a whole house like that we could spend 2 days 2 of us doing that if we wanted the main reason i ask is that i find window externals a bore and we do quite alot of odd shapes i am still not sure what route to go down so ill keep an open mind just now as long as people are replying

cheers

TonyM
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
If you are after a top job, then get the hopper and use USG tape on beads. They do a fixed 90 degree bead, and a beaded flex that is hinged, like standard (crap) metal flex tape. Search Youtube for the USG bead videos. I won't use anything else.

main8
08-02-2012, 09:10 PM
is there anywhere i could get samples of the usg products wouldnt like to order alot of stuff and never use it, up here all you get at the locals are gyproc or gtec with just the very basic stock

TonyM
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
is there anywhere i could get samples of the usg products wouldnt like to order alot of stuff and never use it, up here all you get at the locals are gyproc or gtec with just the very basic stock

There are 2 USG chaps on here. Search the members and PM them.

Beermonster
10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Go 2 Leyland in aberdeen! They do sheetrock products,not sure if they stock beads its been a while since i have been in! I am aberdeenshire 2 mate and use a sheetrock hopper and the beads tony was speaking about 2! Big time saver after u get up 2 them and as for the drying after rolled just wipe of the excess and by the end of the day u can coat with filler/fast set and they r good for a finish coat next day if u want!

main8
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
thats fine cheers guys ill give leyland a phone see how there prices stack up

crack filler
10-02-2012, 07:09 PM
bloody cold mate. should be in some upmarket thi whore house. had some time off befor xmas so having to work in the cold. bad times... maybe they should just be a mini bucket (10L) for the bead hopper and make it easy to use filler through it. got a pressure washer the other day. runs on 18v bat and its own water reserve(no mains hose needed) great for cleaning angle heads and boxes and pumps.... good old brush still best for buckets and hawlk.
Hiya mate sorry for hijacking this thread but this pressure washer mate is it the nomad one

main8
10-02-2012, 08:05 PM
thats alright the only problem i have with it is now i want one lol

JON RAMBO
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
thats alright the only problem i have with it is now i want one lol

189 squid you can keep it!!

Beermonster
10-02-2012, 08:20 PM
189 squid you can keep it!!

Cheep skate

main8
10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
im a sucker for wanting to try new things and at 189 quid i would be keeping it

savage
10-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Hiya mate sorry for hijacking this thread but this pressure washer mate is it the nomad one

its the nomad mate, yes it was about 180... but power tools makes work more fun. come on you know you all want one! had if for two weeks now, bit of a faff about but its priceless if your cleaning the pump out when putting filler through it and boxes angle heads mud tube etc. if you only put air drying compound though your tools then just keeping them in a sealed bag (keeps the jc from drying hard) is the way to go. i hate those blokes who talk about their random new tools that makes you go out and buy all sorts of crap.... i hate myself? thinking back to the monster mesh and fiba tape only 3" finishing head. using fiba tape in the corners... i was convinced it would save the world but just drove me mad lol