PDA

View Full Version : Arrow (walls n ceilings) gyproc or knauf

chabev10
16-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Whats your thoughts on these ready mix materials, I used gyproc for a long time back in the day but when the arrow easy sand came out i exploded with joy it was a breeze to rub down but then knauf came in with there stuff which although a little more expensive, Gyproc finally cottoned on to this and have made they're material lighter too, whats your thoughts and experiences on these ?

belmoreboy
16-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Have you ever tried Sheetrock ready mixed compounds?

chabev10
16-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Not seen sheetrock up here yet ,I'll see if I van find a supplier and give it a try . What sort of price is it ?

TonyM
16-02-2012, 03:47 PM
My take on the ready mixed compounds.
Gyproc Promix Lite - No guts and too soft
Gyproc ready mixed joint cement - sets like flint and you need a file to sand it
Sheetrock - too soft
Lafarge smartmix extra - goes on nice, sets hard but still easy enough to sand
Knauf - wouldn't even try it as IMO all knauf products are shit.

Oh and never tried Arrow, but probably like Knauf.

big g
16-02-2012, 04:18 PM
hi chabev10, totally agree with tony m, pro lite and sheetrock are too soft thats why they are easy to sand and knauf dont get me started, had to use it for a while when wimpey did a deal with them a few years back where all you could use was knauf but there were so many problems with it they werent long chucking it, it really is bad bad stuff, i dont think you can beat bg for fast set and bags of velvet.

coastaldrywall
17-02-2012, 08:52 AM
i know that the boxed ready mix from walls and ceilings is made by Murco, nice stuff to work with, all their bagged and branded ready mix came from lafarge, dont know if it still does though

mcfc
18-02-2012, 05:40 AM
i know that the boxed ready mix from walls and ceilings is made by Murco, nice stuff to work with, all their bagged and branded ready mix came from lafarge, dont know if it still does though

I use arrow bagged joint cement all the time and cant rate it highly enough (i have used all bg products and find them overated),the filler is made by lafarge but the cement is also made in america by Murco

belmoreboy
18-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Tony & big g - have you tried sheetrock green top? not as soft as plus 3 blue top. (fancy a trial?)

big g
19-02-2012, 09:09 AM
hi belmore boy, wouldnt mind a trial, always looking for ways to make job easir and like the idea of ready mix just havent found any ive liked yet.
cheers big g.

big g
19-02-2012, 01:18 PM
hi belmoreboy, do you stock dust bags for bosch gas25 and if so what price are they, thanks big g.

E.K Taper
20-02-2012, 09:45 PM
hi chabev10, totally agree with tony m, pro lite and sheetrock are too soft thats why they are easy to sand and knauf dont get me started, had to use it for a while when wimpey did a deal with them a few years back where all you could use was knauf but there were so many problems with it they werent long chucking it, it really is bad bad stuff, i dont think you can beat bg for fast set and bags of velvet.
Big G, persimmon did a similar deal with Knauf a couple o years back and binned it after about 3 months! I'll see if I can find the thread for ye. Agree about BG stuff, its hard to beat.
Found the link to the knauf thread:

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php/742-Knauf?highlight=knauf

big g
21-02-2012, 03:23 PM
aye saw that earlier on, i had the rep out and all he kept saying, I will pass that on 2 our technical dep. lol hes been sayin that for years and the shite never gets any better.

E.K Taper
21-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Knauf rep came out to 1 of our sites, and took about 3hours to coat the kitchen and stick a few of those crappy plasticy corner tapes on. When it was pointed out that we'd never make money like that he said "Its not about making money, it's about the quality of the finish" :w00t:
He was laughed out the house!

big g
22-02-2012, 03:49 PM
aye that corner tape is shite, it burned your fingers to f-ck, they gave us 1 of those wee metal things that u pull tape through, it was shite, also had probs with it blowing and fast set coming through the perforations, u had to either scrape it or give it a right good sand

TonyM
22-02-2012, 05:24 PM
aye that corner tape is shite, it burned your fingers to f-ck, they gave us 1 of those wee metal things that u pull tape through, it was shite, also had probs with it blowing and fast set coming through the perforations, u had to either scrape it or give it a right good sand
That Knauf plastic corner tape is made by Straitflex. I bought some once and found a great place for it....... the bin.

big g
22-02-2012, 06:45 PM
hi tony, im sure i heard wimpey took them to court, it was following the painters roller off the ceilings and when wimpey tried to get knauf to pay for repairs they refused because their contract wasnt getting renewed,wimpeys own fault, if they had listened to the guys that actually work with the stuff at the start instead of seeing pound signs they wouldnt have used it.

E.K Taper
22-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Thats the problem with the big companies nowadays, its all instead of quality

chabev10
23-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Think i'll stick to the gyproc im getting a good deal from the sale's manager in wolesly at 12.20 a bucket and with the vat its 14.64 so not a bad deal eh ?

big g
23-02-2012, 08:09 PM
problem i have with big companys now is a lot of the site agents dont know their job, because a lot of them are not time served tradesmen. they dont check sheeting before taping or walls before drylining, and when you point out a wall or ceiling thats uneven they say, can you sweeten it away, easiest thing in the world to pick fault in the finishing trades but to snag anything before that, their stuck. all a lot of them can do is make sure your wearing your hard hat and hi-viz.

belmoreboy
23-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Anyone that wants a trial tub of either bluetop or greentop joint compound - just send me a message on here or email me through the contact form on the website, if you could also indictae how many bags or tubs you get through in a month so i can price accordingly. Thanks

amestaper
23-02-2012, 09:27 PM
In reply to big g's comment about site agents, in my experience, not all, but the majority of them were only there to man the phone, sign forms, crack the health and safety whip, supply other trades everything they needed and to make sure there was little waste plasterboard in regards to leaving a patchy work surface for a taper or plasterer.

I went to view a new house 4 or 5 weeks ago and I snagged their show house to pieces. In two or three rooms the edges of the boards werent fixed on the stud and I pushed the ceiling up over an inch to show my mrs the machine gun ding ding ding ding of the screws all popping in line right in front of the sales lassie and that's another example of a major fault that should have picked up before the taper started. I wouldnt have taped that, was also crap, as was the decor..... etc etc

I hate to think what the others plots were like as that was a Barratt show house and it put us right off buying a new build.

PS Interesting to hear that Knauf was used on Wimpey sites. Their show houses actually had better quality finishes than David Wilson, Barratts, Redrow and that other company I mentioned above.

PPS I also never did like working with Knaufs gear when I was on the tools and left mine in the same place as Tony.

big g
24-02-2012, 03:13 PM
hi ames,we get that quite a bit (popping) and something else we get in the winter is wrinkling top angle tapes,what i think is causing it is wet timber.used to be timber was under cover in the compound,not now its lying out in the open and when it dries it shrinks causing a lot of movement,when you scrape the poppers with scraper its the filler that comes off because the screws have been pulled up.when you take top angle tape off you can see the gap between the boards that wasnt there when it was taped.another example of how the qaulity of new build is getting worse.

big g
24-02-2012, 03:52 PM
hey e.k,i just saw a post you put on a while back asking if anybody had any stories about pat garret,jeez where do i start ,was with him for about 4 and a half years believe it or not.when he had money he was great to work for,i used to get blank checks and told fill it in yourself lol,i was off for six weeks after hernia operation and he was giving me 200 a week,when i started back and asked him how he wanted it paid back he said, forget about it.then you had the other side,he would give you a check and say dont put it in till next tuesday,then the thing would bounce,hey would say put it back in,fookin bounced again lol,by that time he owed you 3 weeks money and and you had to hang on in there hoping you would get squared up lol what a time in my life that was dont know how i got through it lol.whit a man he was,they used to call him (balls of steel )because he used to come on site and tell a load of men he had no money to pay them lol.