PDA

View Full Version : sanding (Rokamat Gecko)

savage
29-02-2012, 07:29 PM
just wondered if any one has tried one of these Rokamat Gecko sanders. motor is held on your waist must take the wieght out. looks light lol. tried most makes but this ones new to me...

amestaper
01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I think something similar has been mentioned before as I remember the Ghostbusters analogies, or it may have been the vacuum backpack.

Looks good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLz4m4Gwyaw

crack filler
01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Does look good and seems a good idea. But the plastic hinge set up on the head puts me off a bit. Don't know whether it would be strong enough for the abuse it would get on site.

belmoreboy
01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Had a look at stocking these a while back, the biggest downfall was the price - over 2000 just for the sander retail !!!??? far too expensive in this already squeezed market, from what i can remember the parts were also horredously expensive, it just put me off really. As far as sanders go its a great idea but maybe overengineered for the uk drywall market and thus no one can afford it!

Be interested to hear from anyone that has bought one and if they paid the full 2k plus vac

savage
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
its going for 750, plus vac 500. same as the fest (super heavy) tool. got to be worth a look. its not over enginered. looking at my new flex sander with it useless self protection shut down (same issue i had with the mixers too). best simple sander is the mirka. just not so good with the wear and tear. geko idea of removing the motor to a hip belt is inspired. having been quick to make a festool mistake and have to get through the teething issues with that, now i am having a crap time with the new flex. i think i will wait and let some one else take the pain of buying brand new kit from now on...i have never had a sander that worked strait out the box, my first flex was broken from new, festool was usless (too hard backing pad) my first mirka went strait back as did the second and third... come on some one make a sander that is light fast and tough, not made by blind monkeys high on methien

belmoreboy
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi Tom

Didn't realise how much they had come down in price - might have to re look at these sanders as thats a much more reasonable price range (will also check the spares pricing)

We will get you flex sorted asap, still not sure exactly why your sander is custting out but engineers will find the problem.

Sorry it hasnt been plain sailing so far.

Can i ask on here, what issues you have had with the Mirka? as it is the same sander as the Last Gyproc Pro, EDX and Fox Pro - many jointers have one or more of these brands and we are looking to make sure we have all the parts available for them.

savage
01-03-2012, 08:35 PM
the plastic wears out on the head exposing some metal bits (part of the skirt) scratches the wall and ruins suction. other than that its switches and i have had broken drive shaft. although thats only a one off issue. its better than the old type flex, it runs faster on the wall and got more guts to the motor. its a shame its not more hardy, the hoover is got a cheap feel to it too. it is the best by a mile though just have to have two. if you could fix it (pick it up when dropping of a pallet) so no mucking about with inter express it would not be a problem if one broke down now and then. warrenty should be two years but thats not your problem marcus. you should get into china and brand your own! fix them your self.. these big companys are too far removed from the trades, we need a sander for drywall nothing else. no comprimise just for jointing. oh and a hose that works, unlike the super expensive festool hose that is crap! loved the look of the hose on my new flex shame sander is pants.... cant have it all.

chabev10
02-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm sticking to the pole sander,,, Too much flaffing around to get it set up i could have sanded a room the time it took him to get it outa the box n set up and could you imagine trying to get into an under stair cupboard with all the cr4p on yer back lol,,, Pole sanders the way real men do it :)

TonyM
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm sticking to the pole sander,,, Too much flaffing around to get it set up i could have sanded a room the time it took him to get it outa the box n set up and could you imagine trying to get into an under stair cupboard with all the cr4p on yer back lol,,, Pole sanders the way real men do it :)

Bollocks.

Beermonster
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Bollocks.
I'm with u there chief! If u havn't tried a power sander dont slag them off!!
When u have 300 2 400 sqm house 2 sand yea bring out the pole and start 2 cry:suicide:
Smoother walls ,no scratchin unlike with ur polesander!!
But then again u maybe only tape rooms do u? Not houses?

DMC
02-03-2012, 05:26 PM

No way in this lifetime am i going back to using the idiot stick.

chabev10
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Ha ha ha bollocks eh? I snag all my work as soon as I topcoat it and I've yet to see a scratch or have any complaints in 20 yrs of taping I do all types of taping work from housing estates to industrial sites you name it I've taped it and sanded it all with a pole ,