PDA

View Full Version : Paper or scrim

jasbevs
28-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Does anyone still use paper tape on flats and butts or is it just me. Have seen a few older posts where people have said it is all scrim except internals, really want to use scrim for the speed but am worried about its strength on the butts.

crack filler
28-03-2012, 05:42 PM
hiya and welcome to the forum.
I always use scrim on flats and butts, now and again had an issue above some doors but not for a long time, if your worried double up the scrim above doors or paper tape them.

big g
28-03-2012, 06:01 PM
hi jasbevs,same as crackfiller,used to have issues above doors but wimpey made sheeters cut round them so you only have 1 joint in middle instead of a header piece and that sorted that.crossers on ceilings i give a right good fast set(trowel is closed at end of sweep)then an open 10 box and 12 set at 2, unless you get butts that are peaked then use paper.if above doors is done with header piece use paper but you wont have any bother with ceilings.

jasbevs
28-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Cheers lads. Cutting around the doors! Can not believe what I am reading, you will be telling me they make sure all their screws are put in fully and not sticking out 1 mm next, if I get two boards that touch I send thank you cards.

big g
28-03-2012, 08:53 PM
hahaha need to try that 1 (thank you cards).will buy a bunch tomorrow and hope message gets through,have stopped putting screws in and painters goin nuts so it shoudlnt be too long b4 agent comes down on sheeters.

DMC
29-03-2012, 04:42 PM
On a David Wilson site just now, have spent more time with a screwdriver in my hand than i have a trowel, kin joiners suck.

jasbevs
29-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Wish I was as brave as big g, loving the idea of saying b@ll@cks to putting screws in and seeing what happens. Good work fella.

big g
29-03-2012, 09:09 PM
On a David Wilson site just now, have spent more time with a screwdriver in my hand than i have a trowel, kin joiners suck.

know the feeling dmc,im getting a lot of screws that have missed but they have just left them in,so unless there in the angles (dont want to bugger my butterfly)im leaving them,going to bring it to a head so they know their not gettin away with it .

belmoreboy
29-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Was always under the impression paper tape if applied properly and allowed to set properly is stronger and less likely to crack compared to scrim?!
Also sell more paper due to face we sell more Auto Tapers and Banjos and scrim no good for these two tools!

big g
30-03-2012, 01:43 PM
thats the problem,if you were to apply paper tape to all your joints the drying time would be horrendous,it would work if you could get 3 or 4 houses to yourself to work between but now as soon as you start a house their askin when you can have it finished.it probably is stronger but only problems ive had was above doors but not had any since sheeters started cutting round doors and you only have 1 joint in middle instead of 2 with a header piece,it seems to have strengthened joint.with paper on the flats if you dont let it dry properly you end up with tram lines where the paper seems to be floating on the cement,its just too time consuming to use paper on the flats.

saleen836
31-03-2012, 06:30 PM
know the feeling dmc,im getting a lot of screws that have missed but they have just left them in,so unless there in the angles (dont want to bugger my butterfly)im leaving them,going to bring it to a head so they know their not gettin away with it .

This is exactly what I have been doing for ages now, other tapers that work for same company are also doing the same!

TonyM
31-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I've just been calling the boarders retards and now they aren't talking to me and I think they don't like me.

amestaper
01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Even if the sheeters thought I was a knob for not screwing in 500 screw heads for them, I at least knew the painters had my back. If there were any more than 20 to 30 visible in one plot I was forever complaining about it then I would just leave them. But you know, if they had paid for and fitted new blades every time one chipped on a screw head, or sander driveshaft snapped in the same manner, or threw me a bung for downtime then I may have had a wee a bit more consideration towards them.

Problem is though, up here most site agents were once joiners and joiners mostly do the sheeting so the majority are ignorant to our trade and have no idea what you're talking about

... so we may as well bang your head on a plasterboard wall and complain elsewhere.

big g
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Even if the sheeters thought I was a knob for not screwing in 500 screw heads for them, I at least knew the painters had my back. If there were any more than 20 to 30 visible in one plot I was forever complaining about it then I would just leave them. But you know, if they had paid for and fitted new blades every time one chipped on a screw head, or sander driveshaft snapped in the same manner, or threw me a bung for downtime then I may have had a wee a bit more consideration towards them.

Problem is though, up here most site agents were once joiners and joiners mostly do the sheeting so the majority are ignorant to our trade and have no idea what you're talking about

... so we may as well bang your head on a plasterboard wall and complain elsewhere.
hi ames,ive complained to joiners, complained to their boss and not getting very far,and the main job im on the agent is very big on snaggin finishing trades,(nose up against the wall stuff)so if i leave them and painter leaves them, hes got no option but to speak to sheeters.thats the theory anyway, will see if it works.

scottishlad2k10
03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Does anyone still use paper tape on flats and butts or is it just me. Have seen a few older posts where people have said it is all scrim except internals, really want to use scrim for the speed but am worried about its strength on the butts.

i always use scrim on new plasterboard but only on the flats & paper on the internals.

i always use paper on old cracked or plasterboard thats never been taped (old houses) where the plasterboards been filled (no tapes) and just painted as its better stick it on with the finish filler as finish/readymix stick to paint like sh** to fur :)

scottishlad2k10
03-04-2012, 09:05 PM

i refuse to sink/send home any screws that are flush or sticking out.
same as i refuse to pick up a hammer and nail punch or pair of pincers while painting woodwork because the joiners hit a knot with the bradgun or didnt set the depth properly :)

stuff joiners they have it far too easy!

scottishlad2k10
03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I've just been calling the boarders retards and now they aren't talking to me and I think they don't like me.

LOL SOOOOO SIMILAR TO ME! IM ALWAYS........... "AH FU**ING JOINERS THIS JOINERS THAT" gets on their nerves :)

jasbevs
04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Started a job today where the guy doing the boarding used an impact driver to put the screws in and after driving a few right through the board decided it would be best to leave them all out a bit! And I mean ALL, took my mate ages to put them in.

E.K Taper
04-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes, scrim for me too. been asked by agents now and again to put paper tape on door headers and thats fair enough. Dont get me started on sticky-out screws though...............

Beermonster
10-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes, scrim for me too. been asked by agents now and again to put paper tape on door headers and thats fair enough. Dont get me started on sticky-out screws though...............

Not sure if we would get away we scrim up here! Dont get me wrong i have used it but not really been back 2 c the houses i have done with it!!! So who knows, and what kind of fast set u guys using?

big g
10-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Not sure if we would get away we scrim up here! Dont get me wrong i have used it but not really been back 2 c the houses i have done with it!!! So who knows, and what kind of fast set u guys using?
hi beermonster,only 1 fast set for me,BG red bag,stays at same consistity for 90 minutes,easy to use,easy to mix and sets solid.

Beermonster
10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
hi beermonster,only 1 fast set for me,BG red bag,stays at same consistity for 90 minutes,easy to use,easy to mix and sets solid.

Yea bg fastset sets solid thats for sure!U guys down south from me use scrim all the time!Not sure why u guys r dif from up here but scrim is not a thing used much about these parts!!!There r a couple tapers that use it but they r not very good tapers,Nothing 2 do with the scrim just the tapers!!!

scottishlad2k10
10-04-2012, 08:05 PM

gyproc :)

scottishlad2k10
10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Yea bg fastset sets solid thats for sure!U guys down south from me use scrim all the time!Not sure why u guys r dif from up here but scrim is not a thing used much about these parts!!!There r a couple tapers that use it but they r not very good tapers,Nothing 2 do with the scrim just the tapers!!!

where is up here beer monster? ive always used fibaa tape. and most of the boys i know use it too (north west scotland) only boys with machines and tape shooters use paper here. as i cant see you being able to dispence the fibre tape from a machine? dont quote me on that just a guesstimate.

Beermonster
11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
where is up here beer monster? ive always used fibaa tape. and most of the boys i know use it too (north west scotland) only boys with machines and tape shooters use paper here. as i cant see you being able to dispence the fibre tape from a machine? dont quote me on that just a guesstimate.

Up in aberdeenshire lad!

big g
11-04-2012, 04:35 PM

used to use paper on all my joints and to be honest by the time you go round sticking fiba you could have half a house paper taped with bazooka assuming the sheetings up to the mark(no blocking out)and i prefer working with velvet,its just the drying time.

E.K Taper
11-04-2012, 11:22 PM
British Gypsum Joint Filler, Beermonster! It seems to be the norm down here, never see any sites loaded up with lafarge etc

chabev10
18-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Always used machines so never used the scrim tape appart from on little repairs and even then its still sh1t and shows through the material , Up in aberdeen the council site's wont allow scrim now because it shows through on internals, As for screws i always get hold of the joiners that have sheeted the house to go round and check the screws before i start if the refuse i just go tell the site agent there's screws sticking out all over that soon gets them moving, I aint spending time doing there job and if i ever do i bill them for my time , Easy !!!

big g
18-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Always used machines so never used the scrim tape appart from on little repairs and even then its still sh1t and shows through the material , Up in aberdeen the council site's wont allow scrim now because it shows through on internals, As for screws i always get hold of the joiners that have sheeted the house to go round and check the screws before i start if the refuse i just go tell the site agent there's screws sticking out all over that soon gets them moving, I aint spending time doing there job and if i ever do i bill them for my time , Easy !!!
hey chabev,only time i would use scrim on angles is when plastering, never taping,every taper i know on house bashing uses fiba,you just dont get the time now or price to paper tape everything,and dont have any probs with it showing through BG stuff.

E.K Taper
18-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Paper tape only on internals for me, scrim is OK for flat tapes.

klhplaster
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
paper tape definitely gives a better finish and don't crack. i thought scrim was illegal for joins and internals only allowed for patching. with cheap tools like the homax banjo and delko i agree with big g i can have most of the job paper taped in the time sticking scrim

sq ames taper
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Theres nothing wrong with using scrim if boarding is good..but you would only ever use it on flat joints definitely not internals, big g is correct about drying time you just can't use paper tape unless you've got a few houses to work in at once and thats just not happening at the moment

E.K Taper
02-05-2012, 11:09 PM
paper tape definitely gives a better finish and don't crack. i thought scrim was illegal for joins and internals only allowed for patching. with cheap tools like the homax banjo and delko i agree with big g i can have most of the job paper taped in the time sticking scrim
Thats all well and good, but remember you've got to mix your cement up and get your bazooka and pump out! I would have the house fiba'd up by the time your gear was mixed up...................Time is money........Oh, and by the time you've got your tapes on, then bed them in, I would have the house coated wi fast set! Ive only got 2 more coats to go, and you've got THREE! (and a shed load of tools to hose out):w00t: I can start 10 boxing in a couple of hours whereas you will need to wait till tomorrow to 7" box...... I will be running the 12" box and you'll be wondering if yours is dry enough to 10" box!
Hmmmm, I think Fibe Tape makes you more money, dont ya think?????????

klhplaster
03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Thats all well and good, but remember you've got to mix your cement up and get your bazooka and pump out! I would have the house fiba'd up by the time your gear was mixed up...................Time is money........Oh, and by the time you've got your tapes on, then bed them in, I would have the house coated wi fast set! Ive only got 2 more coats to go, and you've got THREE! (and a shed load of tools to hose out):w00t: I can start 10 boxing in a couple of hours whereas you will need to wait till tomorrow to 7" box...... I will be running the 12" box and you'll be wondering if yours is dry enough to 10" box!

sorry i disagree homax banjo and delko is a very simple set up and gives you your 1st coat if anything it saves time. precision taping has a good video on youtube to see them in use. its time to get set up for paper as scrim no longer meets building regulations

E.K Taper
03-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Nothing against scrim in building regulations here, klh, where you based then?

Brian S
03-05-2012, 06:30 AM
EK I think I think KLH is an Aussie, definitely like the look of the Homax, will be looking to add that to my collection.

klhplaster
03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
spot on brian

big g
03-05-2012, 05:52 PM

hi ek,1st day would have paper taped flats and angle taped,2nd day flex and 7 inch start 2nd on flex,3rd day 10 inch and 2nd rest of flex,finish angles,4th day 12box finish flex.thats saying everythings dry each day to do that and it wouldnt be,so only thing stopping me is the drying time,i think 3 and a half to 4 days on a standard 4 bedder is fine and i dont do it any quicker than that with fiba.

Beermonster
03-05-2012, 06:21 PM
hi ek,1st day would have paper taped flats and angle taped,2nd day flex and 7 inch start 2nd on flex,3rd day 10 inch and 2nd rest of flex,finish angles,4th day 12box finish flex.thats saying everythings dry each day to do that and it wouldnt be,so only thing stopping me is the drying time,i think 3 and a half to 4 days on a standard 4 bedder is fine and i dont do it any quicker than that with fiba.

Hey big g u should get some paper faced beads and a hopper!! Compared 2 putting on flex u will enjoy the job!
No matter how bad the boarding u can fire them on.Oh and a roller!

big g
03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey big g u should get some paper faced beads and a hopper!! Compared 2 putting on flex u will enjoy the job!
No matter how bad the boarding u can fire them on.Oh and a roller!

hi beermonster,boy i subby to supplies,and its wondertex flex,sometimes fine other times really bad,would like to try it though,hear good things about that stuff but dont think it will be anytime soon as wimpey are at him to drop his prices (or so he tells me)so dont think he will pay the extra for paper faced.what do you put through hopper with paper faced.

Beermonster
03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey chief,Yea that wondertex can b sh*t! What i found with it is adout 5-10m from the end of the roll it starts getting like a kink in it!!
Dropping prices i cant see that going on now as we r past the worst of it(I hope) The beads come in at about 65 for 120 meters which is not bad as u will pay what 10 a roll for wondertex/Gyproc/Lafarge flex and u have a much better corner that can take a knock or 2 without splitting!Tell him 2 contact Marcus at belmore he might get a good deal if he is buying alot. Good luck lad u dont know what ur missing! Dont get me wrong it took me a while 2 get into them but now there is no going back.
I just use any ready mix i have at the time but the best is greentop usg! I will throw in some pva just 2 help but i do that when putting tapes on aswell.

crack filler
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I pull normal flex through a hopper works fine also

big g
03-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey chief,Yea that wondertex can b sh*t! What i found with it is adout 5-10m from the end of the roll it starts getting like a kink in it!!
Dropping prices i cant see that going on now as we r past the worst of it(I hope) The beads come in at about 65 for 120 meters which is not bad as u will pay what 10 a roll for wondertex/Gyproc/Lafarge flex and u have a much better corner that can take a knock or 2 without splitting!Tell him 2 contact Marcus at belmore he might get a good deal if he is buying alot. Good luck lad u dont know what ur missing! Dont get me wrong it took me a while 2 get into them but now there is no going back.
I just use any ready mix i have at the time but the best is greentop usg! I will throw in some pva just 2 help but i do that when putting tapes on aswell.
hi beermonster,tried a tub of green top this week,he gave me a tub of blue and a tub of green,not enough to box a house with so i used green to second coat flex and blue to finish,couldnt see much of a difference between the two,it looks nice but a bit too soft for me.
ive never bedded in flex with anything other than a setting compound,it would be nice to do it with a ready mix but scared to try it.

big g
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I pull normal flex through a hopper works fine also

what do you put through hopper crack

crack filler
03-05-2012, 10:14 PM
what do you put through hopper crack
Whatever joint cement I'm using at the time and then use a corner roller to wipe it out. Get the whole house on then coat it up with fast set. Boarding has to be pretty tidy though. But it speed it up a treat

Beermonster
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey big g that greentop stuff takes some hold of tapes! Best i have tried,u cant pull a tape of if its on with that stuff it just comes of in bits!

snappy
08-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Scrim tape or easy tape we call here is always going to be quicker . But not quick enough to risk using it , ive had 3 call backs in 13 years and the were all cracked joints from using it .

Every resto Ive ever been to with cracking through out the house has always been scrim tape . On top of that no manufacturer in this country Knauf/Lafarge Csr gyproc, Boral will garentee it . Unless you back block every join walls and ceilings that being said also in this country we hang the board and this would add alot more cost and time . The guys that use easy tape in this country are generally labelled cowboys .

Plus i used both and scrim tape saves you 20 mins at best. 20 minutes time saved but at the cost of your customer having a decent job for a extra 5 years

Brian S
08-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Trouble with paper taping everything is the drying time, tape an 1st coat, and maybe 2nd coat in a day, let that dry off for a day, then 3rd coat, then the drying time before sanding, unless you hot mud the tape and 1st coat
With scrim it's possible (maybe) to get the 3 coats on in a day

snappy
10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Trouble with paper taping everything is the drying time, tape an 1st coat, and maybe 2nd coat in a day, let that dry off for a day, then 3rd coat, then the drying time before sanding, unless you hot mud the tape and 1st coat
With scrim it's possible (maybe) to get the 3 coats on in a day

In Australia , Every thing is hot mud or as we call it base coat 1st and 2nd, apart from your 3rd finishing coat .
Again multi purpose compound are not backed by any manufacturer here so if we use them we are on our own . Plus our time limits are to tight whe basically have to 100 m2 a day thats hang,stop,cornice so a 700m2 house is 7 days there is no time to wait for things to dry.

maritimemudder
23-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Been taping for 22 years and have always used scrim (fibre tape where im from) here in the maritimes our wood is always damp and our houses are relentless for cracks. I just recently switched to paper tape and love it. I find it faster. I use the homex banjo. Yeah the drying times are longer but when you use a hot mud, it sets up but it does not completly dry. And puting your A/P over wet hotmud can create just as much problems as paper. But thats just my opinion.

moore
17-07-2012, 09:59 PM

Animals ....I tell ya ...there Animals!!!!

E.K Taper
17-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Hows things with you, Moore? Keeping busy?

moore
17-07-2012, 11:42 PM
I take it scrim is mesh ....Good Lord!!! Tape with paper.. so you all can sleep at night without worry...

moore
17-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Hows things with you, Moore? Keeping busy?

busy enough ... but..Not as busy as I would like to be...:glare: GD low ballers!! ungalay ....ungalay....:finger: