PDA

View Full Version : speedline ready mix

sq ames taper
17-04-2012, 03:23 PM
a subbie i do work for has recently changed from g-tec ready mix to speedline, its just as good as gtec but im guessing it must be cheaper, any one else used speedline? there metal tapes quite good as well

TonyM
17-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Yes and thought it was crap. I think it's just blue top Sheetrock rebranded. Definately not better than G tec smartmix extra.

belmoreboy
17-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes and thought it was crap. I think it's just blue top Sheetrock rebranded. Definately not better than G tec smartmix extra.

Now this is a funny thread!! im 100% sure sheetrock don't supply speedline anymore! i will confirm later

Last i heard is that it's lafarge readymix hahaha :D

Captain perfect
17-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Now this is a funny thread!! im 100% sure sheetrock don't supply speedline anymore! i will confirm later

Last i heard is that it's lafarge readymix hahaha :D

May well be!

But it don't stop the shitrock stuff being crap:D

belmoreboy
17-04-2012, 06:13 PM
May well be!

But it don't stop the shitrock stuff being crap:D

Interesting! Can I ask why you think sheetrock readymix is not for you? Is it only bluetop you tried? The green top all purpose is very popular with guys that have been using other brands. Happy to arrange a sample for you if you are interested, also the easysand and AP lite powder compounds are very popular.

Be good to hear what you think?

sq ames taper
17-04-2012, 06:45 PM
if it wasn't for the different packaging you wouldnt notice difference between them

Captain perfect
17-04-2012, 06:49 PM
The compounds are not for us I am afraid, much prefer to use powder. But the ready mixes are very handy & quicker on the smaller jobs.

Would not feel happy committing a whole project with USG compounds which just seem a bit too light & soft
Unless materials are supplied, Which is getting rarer we stick with BG red filler & Both joint cements & paper tape
You can set your watch on BG filler ;)

As for USG corner beads they are faultless & far superior to the thin coat angle beads that have been cracking as the timber frames get stressed.

The only Prob with the beads is the $$$$$$ ;)

TonyM
17-04-2012, 08:19 PM
The compounds are not for us I am afraid, much prefer to use powder. But the ready mixes are very handy & quicker on the smaller jobs.

Would not feel happy committing a whole project with USG compounds which just seem a bit too light & soft
Unless materials are supplied, Which is getting rarer we stick with BG red filler & Both joint cements & paper tape

As for USG corner beads they are faultless & far superior to the thin coat angle beads that have been cracking as the timber frames get stressed.

I ordered the Lafarge equivalent from Encon and Lafarge sent USG Beadex B1 beads, which makes me wonder if USG are now supplying Lafarge. They were 53 + vat a box.

Captain perfect
17-04-2012, 08:41 PM
I ordered the Lafarge equivalent from Encon and Lafarge sent USG Beadex B1 beads, which makes me wonder if USG are now supplying Lafarge. They were 53 + vat a box.

Do you stick them on with mud or filler Tony?

We tend to use the Mudrunner & roller & found it is allso quicker than stapling & filling thin coat beads.

Have allso found that all rolls of metal corner tape are so thin. You cant go & cut a box of angles, reveals etc & crease them to stand up. When you come round to
fix them they are all curled up on the floor like a busted spring. ;)

TonyM
17-04-2012, 09:21 PM

It depends how many I have to do. If I have lots to fit, i'll use cement to stick them but not coat them up until they are all done, giving the cement enough time to bond to the board. If i'm only doing a few, i'll use joint filler and coat them up as I go. One coat of joint cement then finishes them.

jase hag
18-04-2012, 05:24 AM

We tend to use the Mudrunner & roller & found it is allso quicker than stapling & filling thin coat beads.

Have allso found that all rolls of metal corner tape are so thin. You cant go & cut a box of angles, reveals etc & crease them to stand up. When you come round to
fix them they are all curled up on the floor like a busted spring. ;)
i have been useing usg flex tape lately,and find that it will stay up when creased.

belmoreboy
18-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Cheers for the feedback ! :)