PDA

View Full Version : Flex Sanders and Sparky Vacuums

E.K Taper
24-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Having real trouble with these! I'm sharing these with 2 other tapers and since November we've been thru about 4 sanders and 6 vacuums. One after another they just keep packing in. Last week the sander burnt out, literally melting the connection on to the head. We got the replacement , done 2 houses and the VAC packed in! It just comes on intermittently, 3 seconds on then 30 seconds off. Its a nightmare, but they are from Artex Hire so we get a replacement soon as. But they are starting to question US, as if we aint looking after them properly but they are cleaned out after each house so are we doing anything wrong???
We plug the sander into the Vac and turn the Vac to 'auto'. The Vac gets plugged into an extension cable which is plugged into a 3.5Kva generator which is switched to 110v. This is EXACTLY as the Artex rep told us in our onsite demo. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
EK:confused:

amestaper
25-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Looking for a common denominator I presume this sander has been used on the same job and through the same power supply. I had cut-out problems with ours on certain sites if it was too far from the main power supply, or the genny was underpowered.

I would ask an electrician to check the power supply or move the sander off site for testing as something's seriously wrong for 10 pieces of kit to pack in.

big g
25-05-2012, 02:11 PM
hi ek,sounds complicated,only thing im wondering are you totally unwinding extension cable,i had probs with sander and hoover although not as bad as that,but thats what my prob was the cable wasnt fully unwound,good luck.

E.K Taper
27-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Amestaper, luckily the spark was in the house at the time and checked the power supply and couldnt see any problem. Big g, thats a good point, Ill ask the other2 boys about the cable. I always unwind it fully but dont know about them! Cheers

krispie
28-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi E.K from the tother side of planet. I am guessing at what you mean by 'melting the connection on the head' but I run three of the Porter Cable clones and one in particular loves running a head bearing and if the lads don't think to check the failing bearing it will get hot enough to melt the plastic nut. As for the vacs do they start to smoke or just play up? I know the electrical filter that runs the auto start/stop dont always like the dirty electricity that genies put out. Cheers Krispie

E.K Taper
28-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Krispie, I think that may have been what happened with the melting connection, it happened with one of the other lads so I never saw the damage. The vacs just cut out all the time, Like they start up and before you've got a line of screws sanded it cuts out again! nightmare stuff
Welcome to the forum mate

E.K Taper
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Well thats another sander bust! The young fella using it called me up to say that the head just stopped rotating? Driveshaft maybe? Nightmare. We've only had it about 3 weeks. Losing the rag with it now. No-one else gets this sh*t, we must be doing something seriously wrong, but how? We have followed everything the rep told us to do! What speed do you guys use them at? Rep says to keep it at 5, is this right?
cheers

amestaper
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Mine has never been slower than 5. Sure it sounds like a broken driveshaft and you have the unluckiest sander I've ever heard of. We always had problems with a shared sander but that all stopped when I bought my own.

krispie
13-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Was it a rental E.K ? If so then you don't know how old the drive shaft is and they all go eventually. If it was brand new then it was possibly was just been leant on too much for too long, I have seen them almost knotted and still running, they really put up with torture. If it has recently had a drive shaft replaced and they reused the same sleeve then it probably helped it fail as a broken drive buggers the inside of the sleeve.

big g
13-06-2012, 03:46 PM
hi ek,ditto what krispie says about hired sanders,you dont know how old driveshaft was and wouldnt put it by speedtape to change shaft without renewing casing,think thats nothing to do with electrical probs you were having,still think thats something to do with extension,and ditto what ames says,always run mine on 5.

krispie
13-06-2012, 04:37 PM
If this was perhaps the unit that had the failing bearing that melted the knob off the end, and they have simply replaced the bearing and sent it out again then that also makes sense.
The cable would have really been stressed/tortured and suffered a kink inside the sleeve, meaning it was only a matter of time before it went.
I have had the lads stall our units and burn out the amature without the drives breaking at the time but no doubbt weakend by the event.
I am amazed at the loads these will endure.

E.K Taper
13-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks Krispie and Big G, yes its a hired sander but not the melted one! . I'm sure this one was brand new, so they said, we maybe think the lad has been a bit harsh with the sander- banging it into corners etc but he says not.
Big G, the other boys didnt extend the cable fully before but are doing that now:fing02:
cheers for the help lads

sq ames taper
14-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Just wondering how much you guys pay a month to hire sander& vacum? I've spoke to a few tapers on site with different answers 1 says 30 for both another says 54 just for the sander

big g
14-06-2012, 08:50 PM
hi sq,would think the higher price is nearer the mark,but have you not got a link at the top of your page for gyproc tool hire,click on that.

sq ames taper
14-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes the link says 54 pm, but the taper that says he pays 30 for both was pretty adament, just wondered if there was maybe some kind of discount for longer term members or if your hiring a few tools etc

big g
15-06-2012, 05:47 PM
hi sq,dont hire my sander but ive been hiring my taping tools for 3 years and get a 10 per cent discount,you would need a 200 deposit to start as well.

sq ames taper
15-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Cheers big g, i already hire a 3" finisher from bg & have had an account for about 6 years so hopefully i might get a discount, me& my mate share a sander but its nearly 7 years old& on its way out and neither of us have the money for a new one

E.K Taper
17-06-2012, 10:33 PM
We hire from Speedtape (Artex LTD) and its 84per month +vat, thats for sander and Vacuum.
Where does your 30 a month guy hire his from?????????

sq ames taper
18-06-2012, 08:43 AM
We hire from Speedtape (Artex LTD) and its 84per month +vat, thats for sander and Vacuum.Where does your 30 a month guy hire his from?????????To be honest EK ithink he's bull shi***g , i dont know him very well and the company i worked with at the time went into administration so probably wont see him again, been told The same price as you by bg hire dept, think ill have to percevere with the radius 360 for now

Brian S
18-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Nothing wrong with the Radius 360, and the Flex edge sander,sq, they're saving you 84 a month, and they're lighter to use

sq ames taper
19-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Nothing wrong with the Radius 360, and the Flex edge sander,sq, they're saving you 84 a month, and they're lighter to useNever used the edge sander Brian, is it any good? How expensive are the sand papers for that?

Brian S
19-06-2012, 08:13 PM
It's a good bit of kit, if you use a 360, the Flex is it's stable mate, they work well together.
As for the sanding sheets, I just cut one of the 360 sheets to fit, get 1 out of a sheet

sq ames taper
20-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Had a look at the edge sander on belmore web page, is it any better than a normal sanding pole for sanding internals?

Beermonster
20-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Never used the edge sander Brian, is it any good? How expensive are the sand papers for that?
3.90 for 10 sheets from Belmore! They last a while and r pretty good!

Beermonster
20-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Any1 seen 1 of these?
Is a replacment head for the flex with http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mzllYTi3eevoZGeu1cc_2dQ/140.jpgthe pad etc in the head?http://www.ffx.co.uk/Content/images/tools/FLXWSE7RHEAD.jpg

Brian S
20-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Had a look at the edge sander on belmore web page, is it any better than a normal sanding pole for sanding internals?

Far better than the.normal pole sander, won't flip and you can get an extendable pole on it

E.K Taper
28-06-2012, 10:00 PM
replacement sander number 5 arrived on tuesday, started up fine then stopped when placed on the wall!!!!!!!!!!! Loose cable apparently:banghead:

amestaper
29-06-2012, 06:41 AM
You have more patience than I have. I would probably ask they come and collect it..... from a skip or from the pavement 6 floors below where I was working. Ever thought of changing brand or buying a second hand v1?

E.K Taper
10-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Ok, since I posted last, we've done in 2 more vaccums! Losing the will to live, I called the Speedtape hire dept and he said we should be running a transformer through the generator! Has anyone else been told this? Does anyone else run a tranny thru their generator? Seems a bit pointless to me, plugging a 240v tranny into the genny to give out 110v when theres 2 x 110v sockets on the other side of said genny? He says its to do with power surges but I'm sure we tried that at the start and they still fkd up.

big g
11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
hi ek,run my sander and hoover direct from extension plugged in direct to genny, have done for years,think their making excuses to try and cover their arses and they want you to try that to see if it works.

E.K Taper
11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks Big G, thats the point I been trying to tell the speedtape guys, that no-one else seems to have this problem. I've asked a few other boys with sanders about it and they dont use a transformer either! I even clean the hoover and filters thoroughly when halfway round the house and again when finished:confused:

DMC
11-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Run my sander and vacuum straight from the genny, never had any trouble. Been doing this for longer than i care to remember.

E.K Taper
11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks DMC, what size genny you got? We were told by speedtape it should be no less than 3.5kva. It seems as if its a power issue and i'm starting to wonder if they've given us false info and it should be LESS than 3.5kva????

DMC
13-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks DMC, what size genny you got? We were told by speedtape it should be no less than 3.5kva. It seems as if its a power issue and i'm starting to wonder if they've given us false info and it should be LESS than 3.5kva????

Off hand i cant remember will look tomorrow and get back to you.

E.K Taper
02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Well, the saga continues. Couple of weeks ago a new vac was delivered, and lasted all of 10 seconds before cutting out!
Then the sander stopped rotating! New sander arrives, and the head was flapping about all over the place they hadn't even tightened it properly! Worked fine thru the genny, so takes it to an extension that night and plugs into transformer and can feel the electricity tingling right thru the casing . A couple of jolts here and there but thankfully its 110v so I'm still here!
So they're dishing out electric shocks now! Thanks Speedtape

Dillon
03-11-2012, 08:20 AM
I carnt believe you having so much trouble and im sorry you are, if you are hireing this equipment I would say the hire shop are not maintaining them properly. I have a porter cable sander and vacuum which I imported in 1999 and have never touched it and its still going, just the normal servicing, I think the drive cable is about to go coz its clicking but I have a new one waiting to fit.

big g
04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
thats fookin shocking.
they still taking the hire charges off you EK,surely you shouldnt be paying full hire charge.

E.K Taper
04-11-2012, 08:24 PM
thats fookin shocking.
they still taking the hire charges off you EK,surely you shouldnt be paying full hire charge.

Haha, I see what ya did there!
Yeah we still payin hire. Our man has meeting wi Scott the rep on Monday so we,ll see what comes of that

amestaper
05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Ok, since I posted last, we've done in 2 more vaccums! Losing the will to live, I called the Speedtape hire dept and he said we should be running a transformer through the generator! Has anyone else been told this? Does anyone else run a tranny thru their generator? Seems a bit pointless to me, plugging a 240v tranny into the genny to give out 110v when theres 2 x 110v sockets on the other side of said genny? He says its to do with power surges but I'm sure we tried that at the start and they still fkd up.

Well, the saga continues. Couple of weeks ago a new vac was delivered, and lasted all of 10 seconds before cutting out!
Then the sander stopped rotating! New sander arrives, and the head was flapping about all over the place they hadn't even tightened it properly! Worked fine thru the genny, so takes it to an extension that night and plugs into transformer and can feel the electricity tingling right thru the casing . A couple of jolts here and there but thankfully its 110v so I'm still here!
So they're dishing out electric shocks now! Thanks Speedtape

Haha, I see what ya did there!
Yeah we still payin hire. Our man has meeting wi Scott the rep on Monday so we,ll see what comes of that

Transformers through gennys? Shocks?.... Your power supply or sander (or both) is fcuked.

You really need to get another sander on site, fire it up through one power source, not two and find the problem by process of elimination by checking cabling, earth faults etc. You know the sander probably works great in their shop through with mains power and thats where it would be still be if i had hired it as it must be costing you more than hire charges with downtime. I've never had this problem.

E.K Taper
05-11-2012, 09:55 PM
End of my tether , amestaper. Got electric shocks off it on thursday night, and plugs it in to same transformer into mains tonight and guess what? No problem!!!:banghead: