PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play the Bazooka

krispie
09-06-2012, 07:51 AM
I treated myself to a Tapetech Bazooka at christmas and have been dabbling with it over the last few months quietly bringing myself up to speed with it. I feel I seem to have got the hang of internals, including the smallest of cupboards. However, when I do flats it leaves them over full, i.e. it seems to put far more compound under the tape than is necessary that doesn't shrink back when it dries.

The only way I can see that alters this is the viscosity/thickness of the mud, as the amount of plunger travel per meter of tape travel is governed by the gearing. I can tape by hand or banjo to leave a hollow when dry, but this beloved machine doesn't. Is there any way of altering the mud volume other than thinning it down?

I am determined to fine tune this beloved tool as it slots in nicely with the Apla-tech gear we also run and I can see $$$$ (sorry no pounds on my keyboard) in it's success.

Cheers Krispie

amestaper
09-06-2012, 08:20 AM
You made a good point for developers that you can't control the flow, other than not opening up the valve completely that could knock it out of gear and create dry spots on the tape. It's actually something I haven't noticed before as I didn't ever use an apla-tech.

I reckon you answered your own question though. The mud should run from your mixer and bazooka.

I used a separate bucket (4 bags @90 litres) which was always thinner than my boxing batch and any excess swiped off was always returned there as it could be full of dust and snots. The gooseneck pump never had a gauze either. It just never had to be the same quality as the joint compound that gets painted as it got buried by following coats so I stuck the tapes to the walls and ceilings as quick as I could with the minimum of effort as this was the job I hated most. Even more than sanding.

krispie
09-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I am wary as to how thin is too thin for the mud, I might try knocking back the valve tomorow but I am thinking the gearing will still overide this. I am only using the Apla-Tech pump for filling the bazooka, I made a goose neck outta pvc fittings to suit, but it is handy as I seem to have the bazooked internals down pat (and this is worth the effort on it's own) and is on site anyway once we start boxing.

I don't mind taping if I get a clear run and I often tape with a fast set for durability. Good taping is the achilles heel of a job and has more bearing on the sanding end as anything, and I don't mind sanding my own work. It is when I am sanding others work that makes my stabbing hand itch.

Beermonster
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I am wary as to how thin is too thin for the mud, I might try knocking back the valve tomorow but I am thinking the gearing will still overide this. I am only using the Apla-Tech pump for filling the bazooka, I made a goose neck outta pvc fittings to suit, but it is handy as I seem to have the bazooked internals down pat (and this is worth the effort on it's own) and is on site anyway once we start boxing.

I don't mind taping if I get a clear run and I often tape with a fast set for durability. Good taping is the achilles heel of a job and has more bearing on the sanding end as anything, and I don't mind sanding my own work. It is when I am sanding others work that makes my stabbing hand itch.

Its got a bit 2 do with the compound u r using also! Some joint compound shrinks alot others not so much!
Dont b scared 2 thin the stuff down as it helps with the shrinkage and u dont need 2 wipe the tapes out 2 hard,U can leave more filler behind the tape and let it shrink back when drying,
If u r worried about the hold on the tapes stick pva in ur filler! I do it all the time now:)

krispie
09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks Beermonster I am only doing part jobs until it fine tunes me. I use Hamiltons red dot for taping and first coat which I would call a mid shrinker. I will give another crack on a small job next week, and take it thinner still.

krispie
21-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi again after somewhat of an absence and am checking in for an update. I have indeed learnt to play the Bazooka fluently and have recently imported another one to NZ from the US for my wombles to learn on. The black magic I have discovered is in fact as Beermonster noted.... the mud run through it. The ducks nuts in this part of the world is Hamiltons Blue Dot which is specifically designed for auto tapers and is like taping with olive oil and shrinks like nothing and the time saving is embarrassing. If anyone is thinking on banjo's think a little harder to bazookas.... it's like converting to a new religion and I am coming from a quality angle not speed and $$$$ that is just a nice bonus.

Sermon over, cheers Krispie