PDA

View Full Version : Article: USG to Sell European Business to German Building-Materials Company for $80 Million

belmoreboy
27-09-2012, 01:18 PM
You can view the page at http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/content.php/119-USG-to-Sell-European-Business-to-German-Building-Materials-Company-for-80-Million

amestaper
27-09-2012, 02:03 PM
So Knauf are to have some half decent joint compound then?...

E.K Taper
27-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Oh dear.....................:shocked:

belmoreboy
27-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Like to other peoples thoughts on here.....

cornerbox
29-09-2012, 06:21 AM
I only use Sheetrock Materials and this is going to cost me $$$GELD$$$.

cornerbox
29-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Afterthought, looking into Products From Semin.

amestaper
29-09-2012, 10:31 AM
So is it business as usual? Im presuming Michael and Ian at USG kept their jobs and now work for Knauf?

I always thought USG gear was alright, the only trouble i ever had was finding a local merchant who sold it.

I have tried Knauf materials on a few occasions where it was specified as part of the job. It was the most difficult joint cement I've ever worked with or mixed, and the fast set sometimes set earlier than it should. I am not the only one so look around on here to read users groans and grumbles on Knauf materials when they are told by a main contractor they must use it on site.

If Knauf plan on rebranding USG materials as their own, then it may be an $80M well spent.

E.K Taper
01-10-2012, 09:41 PM
........or an $80M disaster if they put knauf stuff in USG tubs:(

belmoreboy
02-10-2012, 09:41 AM
ok so the takeover wont happen until end of this year at the earliest and could take longer (these things always do) most may not have realised but Knauf already had a 10% stake in USG ! going back a few years.
Most in the industry are seeing this as a strategic takeover for the grid market (Don Grid) as Knauf are missing this key product in their range as the other UK suppliers have a solution in place.

I persoanlly dont see the sheetrock brand of products changing at all, maybe one or two of the slower selling lines being discontinued but nothing that will effect uk supply, after all USG UK nd USG Europe has been purchased as a profitable company and would make no business sense to crush the supply (and brand) that already exists in Europe.