PDA

View Full Version : Externals

Dillon
04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
What size trowel/blade do you use for coating up externals.

I have all ways used an 8" for first coat followed by one or two coats with a 10" But recently I have been working with some Northern guys that do it all with a 6" knife but the results are terrible it leaves a curved surface and once sanded you can see loads of filler showing through. Also when doing reveals they never tape right up to the window, where as I cover the whole reveal (as long as its not to wide) to fill any gaps between board and window frame.

IMO a 6" is too bendy for this application and a stiffer blade of even better a trowel should be use. Whats your oppinion

E.K Taper
04-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I use a trowel on externals, 9" i think. When doing window ingoes/ reveals, then generally a 6" knife does the job

Brian S
05-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I use a 6" first coat the 8 or 10 depending on reveal size for the next 2 coats.
Like you Dillon I've seen a 6 used for all coats on reveals, rougher than a Badgers 'arris

DMC
05-11-2012, 05:16 PM
A six inch blade for first coat then a trowel for the second and third.

Dillon
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I use a 6" first coat the 8 or 10 depending on reveal size for the next 2 coats.
Like you Dillon I've seen a 6 used for all coats on reveals, rougher than a Badgers 'arris

Yep I just spent all day coating over their work every external was like a ski slope, 15 rooms 3boxes and a bulk head in each one, Im knackered now coz Im old.

amestaper
05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
6 for first coat, 8 for the second then very tight 10 for the third. Window ingoes are always right into the frame, it would have to be because the bevel edge is likely to be wrong way round.

E.K Taper
05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Ahh, the bevel edge! Does my fkn nut in! Why the joiners think that it MUST go to the window edge escapes me...........

forestbhoy
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Ahh, the bevel edge! Does my fkn nut in! Why the joiners think that it MUST go to the window edge escapes me...........

Totally agree,but many lads who do plastering have told me thats how they want it.Be fair, to ask a boarder to remember edge into window for plaster,away for taping is asking a lot....:rolleyes:

by the way,doing externals,trowel putting them on,depending on reveal width when 6 '' knife used, and then trowel for final coat....

sq ames taper
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I use 6" for first coat& 8" second& 3rd

saleen836
23-11-2012, 08:58 PM
What is with this '3 coat' malarky? :p

southern jointer
24-11-2012, 02:57 PM
...11" trowel, one coat of filler and one of cement !

southern jointer
24-11-2012, 03:01 PM

I always do it firstly to cover the tapered edge that is against the window frame and secondly there is no edge to rub or care about.:o

crack filler
24-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I always do it firstly to cover the tapered edge that is against the window frame and secondly there is no edge to rub or care about.:o
Sorry mate don't understand what you mean. The tapered edge should always go on the outside of the reveal to take the corner tape and keep it square

Dillon
24-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Dont bother me which way the taper goes coz I fill right across to the window, technically crack filler is right, the reason boarders put the taper edge against the window is coz the dummies carnt cut a strait edge. ;)

southern jointer
29-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry mate don't understand what you mean. The tapered edge should always go on the outside of the reveal to take the corner tape and keep it square
Working away so I've just seen your message. You are right Crack Filler its just that I misunderstood the post above and with regards to the tapered edge I normally get it only accidentally if someone else is drylining the place because everyone is rushing and cutting corners everywhere.......so I practiced to coat up the whole reveal up to the frame of the window and at the same time it fills the gap between the board and the window frame!

crack filler
29-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Hiya I don't expect tapered edges on all my angles and I definitely don't get them. It just winds me up that given the choice the boarder sticks the tapered edge against the window and shows their ignorance.

TonyM
29-11-2012, 09:07 PM
If the window reveal is anything up to a trowels width, I coat the whole thing up too. It annoys me when tapers can't be arsed to fill the gap between the board and the frame, thinking that the painter will caulk it.

E.K Taper
30-11-2012, 06:57 PM
is it not the painter's remit to caulk it Tony? If we fill the gap it'll just crack:confused::confused:

crack filler
30-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I generally go right across and fill whatever is there but been on a few sites over the last few years where I have been asked not to. 1 to keep the frame clean and 2 cause the paint or whoever was taking care of it.

forestbhoy
30-11-2012, 08:24 PM
If the window reveal is anything up to a trowels width, I coat the whole thing up too. It annoys me when tapers can't be arsed to fill the gap between the board and the frame, thinking that the painter will caulk it.

is it not the painter's remit to caulk it Tony? If we fill the gap it'll just crack:confused::confused:

Worked for a bloke a few years ago,he stopped all of us going into the frame. Painters were caulking nothing around doors/windows,and so after the frames were cleaned,the protective tape was causing a gap.

TonyM
30-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Needs to be filled with our material, then caulked once sanded to stop the cracking.

forestbhoy
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Needs to be filled with our material, then caulked once sanded to stop the cracking.

Have worked for people where they have surcharged people for not doing it ....

Dillon
02-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Thid depends on how big the gap is doesnt it, if its so big that it will crack out then it needs to be filled and have either scrim or paper put across it then a top coat aplied once dry. IMHO.

E.K Taper
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Thid depends on how big the gap is doesnt it, if its so big that it will crack out then it needs to be filled and have either scrim or paper put across it then a top coat aplied once dry. IMHO.

Yeah I take your point, but the gap shouldnt be that big that you need to put scrim or paper tape over it, surely?

Dillon
03-12-2012, 07:06 AM
There shouldnt be a gap at all but there all ways is in my experience, by the by on the job Im on they silicone around the windows because calk dries and cracks but even silicone will only cover a gap of 2-3mm at best because they like to see the silicone bead about the same on every window.

All comes down to my old saying "You end up with what you started with"