PDA

View Full Version : Working on site

kentish plasterer
14-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I met up with a tape and jointer on site today and had a chat picked his brains for a bit and watched him graft he said he was only plodding along.
in just under 4 hours he two coated a two bed flat all corner taped flats internals spotted the lot.
Scrimped all flats then first coated then cut and fixed corner tapes. Went round with nail spotter Then ran over flats with box. And done all internals with a bazooka.
Ready for 3rd coat in the morning
1st coat over scrim flats lafarge universal jointing compound 2nd coat with box arrow lite jointing cement 3rd coat arrow lite jointing cement.
be before I left he was finishing off and moving in to next unit not bad for some one that's just plodding along.

tictac2340
14-01-2013, 05:43 PM
That's some going , wish I could move that's fast .

TT

Dillon
14-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Well I have just returned to house bashing today for the first time in at least a year, I have a 3 bed two story and have first coated everything today. It has been very hard going not helped by very poor light. There was a time when I would have second coated it too. Im out of practice and old.

kentish plasterer
14-01-2013, 06:43 PM
you need a young blood like me to chase behind you wanner train me up

E.K Taper
14-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Well I have just returned to house bashing today for the first time in at least a year, I have a 3 bed two story and have first coated everything today. It has been very hard going not helped by very poor light. There was a time when I would have second coated it too. Im out of practice and old.
Thats all I'd be looking to do at this time of year Dillon. An average 3bedder, 2storey, I'd just 1st coat it. By half 2 the light is going so I just spot the screwheads then mix up for the morning. Different in summer where you can work till half 4 (or beyond if u can blag a key)

Dillon
14-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks EK i feel better now I thought I had lost it, if indeed I ever had it. TBH it was worse in the morning didnt realy get going till 10.30 and was done by 3.45 I will get it finnished tomoz but my poor OLD bones are aching like hell. Kentish its a good Idea and the way to learn, where are you based.

kentish plasterer
14-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Maidstone did I say ill work for free too please

Dillon
15-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Sorry M8 im in Devon and not looking for a trainee,(even a free one) Your doing the right thing if you want to get into the trade but dont sell your self short even complete beginner is entitled to a wage just for fetch and carry work and nail spotting etc. Good luck with the job search.

forestbhoy
19-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks EK i feel better now I thought I had lost it, if indeed I ever had it. TBH it was worse in the morning didnt realy get going till 10.30 and was done by 3.45 I will get it finnished tomoz but my poor OLD bones are aching like hell. Kentish its a good Idea and the way to learn, where are you based.

5 hours to tape a 3 bedder,quicker than i can do....anyway we use those led headlights you get from camping shops.Get yourself some re-chargeable batteries and you can gain at least an hour a day in the morning and at night.........5 x 1 hour a day....taping up a 3 bedder ....??? :D

Dillon
19-01-2013, 05:28 PM
5 hours to tape a 3 bedder,quicker than i can do....anyway we use those led headlights you get from camping shops.Get yourself some re-chargeable batteries and you can gain at least an hour a day in the morning and at night.........5 x 1 hour a day....taping up a 3 bedder ....??? :D

No mate read it again I only first coated it on the first day (5hrs) I finnished it on the second day. It was just about 300sq/m and nearly killed me :) the next one will be easier (I hope). I do have a head torch and a full set of lights that run off the genny but TBH I carnt be arsed to carry it all in and out.

TonyM
20-01-2013, 04:22 PM
A 3 bedder is 3 days taping (3 coats) and the best part of a day sanding for me.

Dillon
20-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Im trying to think Of a smart arse answer but just carnt :)

big g
20-01-2013, 07:22 PM
A 3 bedder is 3 days taping (3 coats) and the best part of a day sanding for me.
same as,and trying to get it to dry, even with heaters to do it in 3 straight days is murder.

E.K Taper
20-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Agreed. Generally you'd have to leave it for a day between 2nd and 3rd coats to get it dry this time of year

Dillon
20-01-2013, 09:38 PM
The only problem I find is if I apply the 3rd coat too soon I get bubbles/blisters in it. The answer is second coat with filler or filler/cement mixed, enternals are the biggest problem I find, Im seriousley concidering bedding them on with filler/cement mixed but I like to use the machines and dont want to risk the pump.

TonyM
20-01-2013, 10:11 PM
On the smaller properties, we have been doing 2 coats of filler and 1 coat of smartmix extra. Doing a 750m2 house at the moment, one coat filler and 2 coats smartmix. Bloody place has used over 2 boxes of bead too. (240m+)

Dillon
24-01-2013, 08:14 PM
No mate read it again I only first coated it on the first day (5hrs) I finnished it on the second day. It was just about 300sq/m and nearly killed me :) the next one will be easier (I hope). I do have a head torch and a full set of lights that run off the genny but TBH I carnt be arsed to carry it all in and out.

Just started the next one today exactley the same worked 8-4 and got two coats on everything, not much faster but deffo easier second time round. Decided to use BG gear this time as it sets of a bit quicker than my usual Wondertex. Oh yeh the nice suprise is they are 330 sq/m

TonyM
24-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Just started the next one today exactley the same worked 8-4 and got two coats on everything, not much faster but deffo easier second time round. Decided to use BG gear this time as it sets of a bit quicker than my usual Wondertex. Oh yeh the nice suprise is they are 330 sq/m

The only good thing about Wondertex is that you can rub it down with your hand if you run out of sandpaper.

Dillon
24-01-2013, 09:04 PM
The only good thing about Wondertex is that you can rub it down with your hand if you run out of sandpaper.

when your work is a rough as mine thats an asset.

I guess its what your used to I realy like wondertex and have used it for years, I can spread anything but given the choice thats what I like.

jase hag
25-01-2013, 06:14 AM
when your work is a rough as mine thats an asset.

I guess its what your used to I realy like wondertex and have used it for years, I can spread anything but given the choice thats what I like.
Wondertex is ok mate but try gtec smartmix,it is a very good product.

sq ames taper
26-01-2013, 07:25 PM
G tec smart mix or speedline ready mix, smartmix is brilliant to work with and to sand down but i find speedline is good aswell and a bit cheaper

jase hag
27-01-2013, 12:57 PM
G tec smart mix or speedline ready mix, smartmix is brilliant to work with and to sand down but i find speedline is good aswell and a bit cheaper
How much are you paying for speed line?

TonyM
27-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Speedline just that Sheetrock blue top soft crap, re-tubbed?

forestbhoy
27-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Speedline just that Sheetrock blue top soft crap, re-tubbed?

If he likes it so what...?

sq ames taper
27-01-2013, 08:23 PM
How much are you paying for speed line?

im not sure how much speedline is Jase but a subby i work for says its cheeper than g tec, im getting gtec for about 18 a tub

sq ames taper
27-01-2013, 08:24 PM

i will correct you Tony, its nothing like sheetrock and whats wrong with sheetrock anyway?

TonyM
27-01-2013, 09:08 PM
i will correct you Tony, its nothing like sheetrock and whats wrong with sheetrock anyway?

The blue top is soft as...... and has no guts for coating beads. It is too easily damaged whilst sanding.
We are paying 13.20 for G-tec Smartmix Extra

sq ames taper
28-01-2013, 01:00 PM
The blue top is soft as...... and has no guts for coating beads. It is too easily damaged whilst sanding.
We are paying 13.20 for G-tec Smartmix Extra

thats a fantastic price Tony, i thought i was doing ok at 18

TonyM
28-01-2013, 09:17 PM
thats a fantastic price Tony, i thought i was doing ok at 18

Bought some today and it's gone up 4% to 13.72 ex-vat.

E.K Taper
28-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Sounds like Knauf Tony, its in the blue top tubs, its also too soft. oh and its crap as well