PDA

View Full Version : what gear does everyone use for boxes

steven gorton
03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I bought some boxes of a mate an would like to know wat everyone is using And how they keep all the equipment. I've been cave man for years an finally giving the tools ago. Thanks lads

amestaper
03-02-2013, 08:31 PM
My tools were Tapetech and Premier Drywall (Blueline these days). They were dunked in a bucket of water during the week and hosed out on a Friday and if you dont lock them up in a container or plot only you have access to when not in use, I wouldnt expect them to be in your company for too long. They have a habit of growing legs if you know what I mean.

PS just noticed you asked another question in the thread title. Thats a personal preference and i would use any brand except Knauf. Ive even hid bags of other manufacturers joint compound in the skip and walked off jobs if it was forced on me.

steven gorton
03-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Do U use boxes for first coating cause I thought the filler would go solid in the pump an get bits in nxt mix

amestaper
03-02-2013, 09:05 PM
If i had a continuous run of sheets and the client wanted no fiba tape used then i would use a 7" box over tapes strung from a bazooka. No fast set would ever be used through my tools as it only takes a batch to go off 10 minutes faster than expected to ruin your day. I once saw a taping gun left for dead and I learned from someone elses expensive lesson.

However as this isnt Florida with a nice warm climate to air dry tapes in a few hours, I would prefer to coat up by hand using fiba tape and fast set. The 10" box would be first one used. I could do it both ways but thats the norm up here in Scotland otherwise 7" box coat of joint cement wont be ready to coat up again for a week. I was once told you have to piss with the cock you have, so just use whats best for the environment and timescales you have to work to.

E.K Taper
03-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi Steven, I have TapeTech boxes and prefer the British Gypsum cement but unfortunately the sites we are on at the moment are insisting we use Knauf gear. Utter crap. These are persimmon sites btw

DMC
03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Currently using tapetech boxes and gypsum material. The last few pishsimmon plots i did ek was with gypsum material,they didnt express any preference

E.K Taper
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
They want knauf now mate, from the start of 2013. Crap so it is!

sq ames taper
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Working on persimmon job in scotish borders and im using speedline ready mix or gtec smartmix, maybe just persimmon west scotland using knauf?

big g
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
hi steven,i work the same way as ames,so follow his advice and you will not go wrong.
EK,you using the new flex that knauf brought out.

Brian S
04-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Steven we use filler/fast set through a 7" box no problem, this is from another post I made

"We normally just open the back and shovel it in with a 6" knife, it's quick enough.
Someone suggested we try a mud tube (BTE, Can Am) we tryed it with our 18" BTE tube and even made a filler nozzle for it, but, no go, we went back to opening the back.

I would try and hose the box before it starts to turn if you can, makes life easier

Fibre tape and Joint Cement I would say thats a recipe for cracks if ever there was.
Fibre tape and Filler

(PS, by Fibre Tape I take it you mean Mesh)"