PDA

View Full Version : Are you Pricing against Plaster skim finish on Plasterboard?

belmoreboy
15-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Any of you struggling pricing against plaster skim finish ?

We may have a product that could help and actually offer many more advantages over and above the much favour "pinked" plasterboard finish we have been seeing so much of on house bashing jobs.

Product called RediSkim see here http://www.sheetrockdirect.com/acatalog/Rediskim-Readymixed-Skimming-Compound.html#aRS16L

Would appreciate your thoughts and happy to answer and questions.

TonyM
15-02-2013, 07:19 PM
The problem is actually gettint the clients to try it. Most small builders and developers consider taping to be rubbish, probably because they have had a bad job done previously. It's ok using joint cement to level 5 with but it still isn't as hard as skim plaster.

Dillon
16-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Its all about cost, small builder can cost in skimming on one house and its not much different to T&J but if he was building 100 houses then the difference would be substantial.

Skimming is a better finnish IF its done to a good standard but T&J still has its advantages over Skimming too and thats why its still around.

Sorry if I sucking eggs.

scottishlad2k10
17-02-2013, 10:34 PM
personally i prefer taping to skimming over plasterboard with multifinish plasters due to the fact that new builds etc will end up with settlement taking place which ends up causing cracks etc.everything timberwise contains a fair bit of moisture from framing to flooring (poor stockists keeping their timber out in the yard) that dries out causing shrinkage causing problems, why do people prefer using the plaster? bigger money? takes way longer to dry?

reason we prefer to tape over skimming

dries alot faster & is less time consuming/dryer method to use opposed to plaster humidity wise with the likes of oak flooring that need time to adjust to the house humidity etc oak needs to sit for 2-4 weeks = plaster causes delays due to drying meaning that its weeks later before they can get the oak in to give it time.

problems we get here is offshore scotland and stockists are fussy on what they stock usually just multifinish or 2coat what they know they will sell they seem to be afraid to try new products + shipping is crazyily priced

scottishlad2k10
17-02-2013, 10:38 PM
rediskim the price would be kind of offputting also Price: 19.99 (Excluding VAT at 20%), + delivery

bag of finish plaster is 14-16 half that bag would mix up enough to fill that bucket of rediskim so it could also be a much more costly job you know what people are like they want the jobs done as cheaply as possible

belmoreboy
18-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Some good points ! thanks for feedback

Tony - after toughhide = tougher than plaster finish and if machine used to spray = faster (yes material costs more) but labour time reduced and double production so = more money!! (yay)

Not ideal for every job, although we have found that builders want plaster finish but pay next to nothing and plasterers keep working for silly money = poor work and rushed job, maybe the unknown and re education of this type of product may get builders to pay more for a 'proper' finish.

This product as it is essentially born from a jointing compound, offers all the advantages of jointing compound = less shrinkage - less cracking - repairable before final finsih with filler or easysand / easyfill - sandable - faster drying time - primer & top coat can be applied way before traditional plaster has even decided to start drying out properly!

We are looking at putting together more info (spec sheets - brochure and videos) to try to convince builders away from traditional plaster finish - im fully aware the price will be a problem, and only way around this will be re-education of the main contractor and smiles on customers faces at the finished walls and ceilings! ( pipe dream !:))

Oh BTW - this stuff is pretty good over old artex ceilings and even matching up to old rought skimmed walls.

Website is retail price - let me know if interested as trade price available on request.

scottishlad2k10
18-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Some good points ! thanks for feedback

Tony - after toughhide = tougher than plaster finish and if machine used to spray = faster (yes material costs more) but labour time reduced and double production so = more money!! (yay)

Not ideal for every job, although we have found that builders want plaster finish but pay next to nothing and plasterers keep working for silly money = poor work and rushed job, maybe the unknown and re education of this type of product may get builders to pay more for a 'proper' finish.

This product as it is essentially born from a jointing compound, offers all the advantages of jointing compound = less shrinkage - less cracking - repairable before final finsih with filler or easysand / easyfill - sandable - faster drying time - primer & top coat can be applied way before traditional plaster has even decided to start drying out properly!

We are looking at putting together more info (spec sheets - brochure and videos) to try to convince builders away from traditional plaster finish - im fully aware the price will be a problem, and only way around this will be re-education of the main contractor and smiles on customers faces at the finished walls and ceilings! ( pipe dream !:))

Oh BTW - this stuff is pretty good over old artex ceilings and even matching up to old rought skimmed walls.

Website is retail price - let me know if interested as trade price available on request.

over artex ceilings? i never use filler to skim over artex always preferd the multifinish plaster as could whack it on heavier and smooth it all out nicely same with walls that tiles had been ripped off bits of adhesive here and there and torn paper etc. as a painter i fu***** hate having to snag (plasterers work) so a product like this could be good for the painters to get our hands on too :) i shall have to have a word with my boss and mention this as it seems alot easier and straight forward to apply only problem that we would have is shipping and local stockists who dont believe in what they dont know about. although they are happy to throw us any sh*** thats been in stock in cold damp warehouses for god knows how long. what sort of trade prices are you talking? mail me when you have time belmore, p.s have you managed to find a cheaper couriour to deliver to here? looking for more tools but dont fancy spending almost 40 on shipping alone again lol

belmoreboy
19-02-2013, 09:00 AM
RediSkim has a fine aggregate in it so works very much the same as traditional plaster only bit wetter to use and of course ready mixed = time saving etc etc

niro06
22-02-2013, 10:27 AM
If this is a "skimming" prouct, I take it the walls still need pre jointing to a decent standard therefore just adding an extra step?

belmoreboy
25-02-2013, 01:18 PM
If this is a "skimming" prouct, I take it the walls still need pre jointing to a decent standard therefore just adding an extra step?

Hi yes tape and 10" some have managed a tight tape coat and thicker coat of rediskim - also depends on the chice of paint finish