PDA

View Full Version : Paper joint tape

tictac2340
01-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Hi all, can any one tell me why paper joint tape, bobbles, when you have bedded it to death.

TT

TonyM
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
The gear behind it has either dried in a bit before you put the tape on it, or there wasn't enough gear behind it in the first place.

scottishlad2k10
02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
The gear behind it has either dried in a bit before you put the tape on it, or there wasn't enough gear behind it in the first place.

as tony says :) i find it happen on flat tapes when hand taping be different using a bazooka or similar as the gear and tape are applied alot quicker than by hand :(

E.K Taper
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Hi all, can any one tell me why paper joint tape, bobbles, when you have bedded it to death.

TT
Maybe the fact you have bedded it to death is the problem. there has to be enough mud behind the tape for it to stick

scottishlad2k10
04-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Maybe the fact you have bedded it to death is the problem. there has to be enough mud behind the tape for it to stick

other question could be "are you slapping your mud on sticking the tape on and overskimming while the adhesive coat of mud is still wet?"

tictac2340
04-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi Scott, i put the mud on, then the tape on top, and bed the tape, and overskim the tape while the tape is still wet, is this the wrong way????

TT

amestaper
04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi Scott, i put the mud on, then the tape on top, and bed the tape, and overskim the tape while the tape is still wet, is this the wrong way????

TT

It is. Just bed the tape and leave it to dry. The boxes will fill out any bits you missed later.

I have an old book BG gave me when I took their course explaining the method with sketched pictures, I will try and hunt it down tomorrow and scan the picture.

tictac2340
05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Hi amestaper, but this is not the case with internals, is it.
as I run the roller over the tape, then the flusher, so the tape is still wet
TT

amestaper
05-03-2013, 07:24 AM
It is indeed but you dont overskim internal tapes. I only use only the small amount the taping gun applies, rolled out then swiped over with an angle head.
I also applied to flats with taping gun, and swiped off with a long handled broad knife so I couldnt push too hard and bed it to death. My tapes didnt bubble and the only thing I would do with a small taping knife would be to pick the snots off.

If you know better then why did you ask the question? The answers above are correct.

tictac2340
05-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I am only just starting , so i just wanted to make sure am doing things the right way, i didnt mean to upset any one.

TT

scottishlad2k10
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
It is. Just bed the tape and leave it to dry. The boxes will fill out any bits you missed later.

I have an old book BG gave me when I took their course explaining the method with sketched pictures, I will try and hunt it down tomorrow and scan the picture.

are these courses worth while going on alex? are they like a couple of days or a day or what? :) i dont like putting internal paper tapes on and skimming over them filler is an air drying compound? :) however old shitebag painter with us would bed his internals with finish/readymix and place the tape and hed then slap his 6" brush in the tub (didnt apply pressure to the tape or anything and slap more on top then hit it with an internal float spent many days arguing with him and he was always right! 3-6 months maybe 1 year later back re doing all his work yet he still knows best!

amestaper
05-03-2013, 11:43 PM
I am only just starting , so i just wanted to make sure am doing things the right way, i didnt mean to upset any one.TTYou didnt upset me. I had a cup of coffee in one hand, toast in the other and no time to spare this morning. I found that book i mentioned and will create a pdf document this weekend.:)
are these courses worth while going on alex? are they like a couple of days or a day or what? :) i dont like putting internal paper tapes on and skimming over them filler is an air drying compound? :) however old shitebag painter with us would bed his internals with finish/readymix and place the tape and hed then slap his 6" brush in the tub (didnt apply pressure to the tape or anything and slap more on top then hit it with an internal float spent many days arguing with him and he was always right! 3-6 months maybe 1 year later back re doing all his work yet he still knows best!Mine was 4 or 5 day mate and i only went on it so i could hire some tools, as once upon a time gyproc were fussy who they sent them to. I had been doing the job for 3 to 4 years and could already do the job but wasn't too familiar with the taping gun and its workings so for the couple of hundred bucks i spent, i would say it was worth the money. Do you use filler to stick internals on? :eek: I apply internal corner tapes with an air drying joint compound, but i have made exceptions for small jobs i needed finished sharpish but the only setting compound i would use is easi-fill because an angle head drags like a car with the handbrake on with fast set. Air drying compound over a setting compound, but never the other way around.

jase hag
06-03-2013, 06:21 AM
We bed the tape,leave it dry for a day and second coat it the next day.you should not get any problems using this method.housebashers do it in one day as they don't give a shit,problems later on.

tictac2340
06-03-2013, 06:52 AM
I think their was a tread on here , about what people where using on the flats, and some people where using skrim, on flats, not paper tape.
This is where i am getting a bit confused. I have tried both, and still unsure what one is best.

TT

jase hag
06-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I think their was a tread on here , about what people where using on the flats, and some people where using skrim, on flats, not paper tape.
This is where i am getting a bit confused. I have tried both, and still unsure what one is best.

TT
We use scrim on flats and paper on corners.

scottishlad2k10
06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Mine was 4 or 5 day mate and i only went on it so i could hire some tools, as once upon a time gyproc were fussy who they sent them to. I had been doing the job for 3 to 4 years and could already do the job but wasn't too familiar with the taping gun and its workings so for the couple of hundred bucks i spent, i would say it was worth the money. Do you use filler to stick internals on? :eek: I apply internal corner tapes with an air drying joint compound, but i have made exceptions for small jobs i needed finished sharpish but the only setting compound i would use is easi-fill because an angle head drags like a car with the handbrake on with fast set. Air drying compound over a setting compound, but never the other way around.

ah i see see someone mentioned hiring them but no1 where i am has them on hire just drywall flex sanders at 150 per week! they can ram that ima buy another 60 ebay job 2 prong from germany with the 2-3 prong adapter got 2 and a half years outa the last one for 60 cant complain :) will have to look into those corses any idea where/who has info on them alex?

Dillon
06-03-2013, 04:37 PM
We bed the tape,leave it dry for a day and second coat it the next day.you should not get any problems using this method.housebashers do it in one day as they don't give a shit,problems later on.

Oi I resemble that remark :)

scottishlad2k10
06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
We use scrim on flats and paper on corners.

me too jase unless its old plasterboard and all the tapes are buggerd or it was never taped before just fillerd and painted but then its a different ballgame having to use readymix finish filler as fast set/ joint filler dosnt adhere to the painted surfaces and then all flats get done with paper too.

some people on here will highly criticise me over this but ive been back to many jobs to make sure the tapes aint split etc 5 years on....... guess what? still all solid so critics can sook my plums! :D

tictac2340
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I have my first few big jobs to do next month, spray on excting plaster so that one is ok, then i have my first new build, we are boarding and spraying, so this will be my test to get things right, as the builder says if he is happy with the finish we will have all his work.
So i hope i can shine and do a great job.

TT

scottishlad2k10
06-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I have my first few big jobs to do next month, spray on excting plaster so that one is ok, then i have my first new build, we are boarding and spraying, so this will be my test to get things right, as the builder says if he is happy with the finish we will have all his work.
So i hope i can shine and do a great job.

TT
aslong as there framing etc is alright im sure youl be alright :) good luck tictac and get some pics uploaded before during and after :D

tictac2340
06-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Scottishlad , no framing, just board and skim, its been great to get all the help from you guys, cheers

TT

scottishlad2k10
06-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Scottishlad , no framing, just board and skim, its been great to get all the help from you guys, cheers

TT

yeah thats what i mean if all their framing and partitions are all bang on then should be plain sailing for you :) fingers crossed!

forestbhoy
07-03-2013, 01:23 AM

Do all housebashers do this...? Is this done on every house they do...? Are these housebashers not up to your exaulted standards in your eyes....? Every housbasher doesn't give shit then....? Can you please explain a little more.......

Dillon
07-03-2013, 06:58 AM
well thats the way I do it too but I have been having trouble with it drying before topping, apparently its because I use a rollplough which leaves too much muck under the tape so I will be using a roller and trowel off the excess on the next one to see if that helps.

House bashers do have a bad rep dont they, I have just come back to it after 10yrs doing industrial stuff and so far im finding it quite refreshing, Ooops i meant frustrating :)

jase hag
09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Do all housebashers do this...? Is this done on every house they do...? Are these housebashers not up to your exaulted standards in your eyes....? Every housbasher doesn't give shit then....? Can you please explain a little more.......
Paid very little,so tend to cut corners.no pride.

Dillon
09-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Paid very little :- I dont think so

tend to cut corners :- absolutley but forced to do that to complete on time

No Pride :- Thats just not true I do have pride and do the best job I can given the circumstances.

I think that depends on how you look at it, the agent on my site tells me he has writent into his progame 2days for tape&joint so if I do it in 2 days to a reasonable standard I make good money and every bodys happy. Believe it or not I would rather take 3 days and do a better job even for the same money, which is what I am doing on this house because I started yesterday (Friday) and I went in today which they dont count and I shall top it on Monday.

TonyM
09-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Paid very little :- I dont think so

tend to cut corners :- absolutley but forced to do that to complete on time

No Pride :- Thats just not true I do have pride and do the best job I can given the circumstances.

I think that depends on how you look at it, the agent on my site tells me he has writent into his progame 2days for tape&joint so if I do it in 2 days to a reasonable standard I make good money and every bodys happy. Believe it or not I would rather take 3 days and do a better job even for the same money, which is what I am doing on this house because I started yesterday (Friday) and I went in today which they dont count and I shall top it on Monday.

So you are taking 3 days because you have to go back and sand it.
When you sand it, has it been 2nd fixed?

Dillon
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
So you are taking 3 days because you have to go back and sand it.
When you sand it, has it been 2nd fixed?

No Tony im only taking 3 days because it came up to start on a friday so they allow friday and monday to joint but I chose to first coat fri 2nd coat sat and will top it on monday which makes for a nicer job IMO. This is my first house on this site and judging by next door which has been 2fixed and not rubbed then yes I recon they will do it to this one too.

I should add Im only doing this because its less than a mile from home, if I had to drive 30mile to get to it I would do it in two days because of fuel and traveling time. There are limits.

Its a living.

TonyM
09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
This is my first house on this site and judging by next door which has been 2fixed and not rubbed then yes I recon they will do it to this one too.

That's cnutish, and costs you money. I'd be taking that out on the site agent somehow, either in the way of flat tyres or shit in his filing cabinet

forestbhoy
09-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Paid very little,so tend to cut corners.no pride.

You still have not gave a reply to the questions i asked.......so you know i have no pride in my work,without ever meeting me or seeing my work....??

Very strange..

jase hag
10-03-2013, 06:39 AM
You still have not gave a reply to the questions i asked.......so you know i have no pride in my work,without ever meeting me or seeing my work....??

Very strange..
Most of the housebashers I know don't give a shit,I was not referring to you.whats so strange ?

Dillon
10-03-2013, 08:59 AM
That's cnutish, and costs you money. I'd be taking that out on the site agent somehow, either in the way of flat tyres or shit in his filing cabinet

Ha ha Tony you sound like me 10-15 yrs ago lol. Its all changed now they call the shots you either put up with it or you dont get much work, its not so bad for me personally I just plod along Im way past the every second and every penny counts world that I used to live in. If it takes me a couple hours longer to sand then thats the way it is, I allow a day for it and generally get done by dinner time. In short I have chilled out some what. Still like to Moan about it though coz Im a Taper.

forestboy dont take it personally House bashers are all tarred with the same brush.

forestbhoy
10-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Most of the housebashers I know don't give a shit,I was not referring to you.whats so strange ?

Read your original quote,you generalise that to be a housebasher means that you don't give a shit,that means all of us who do it.Why is it strange,because you have the ability to know what the standard of site work is like throughout the country.Now you say its most of the house bashers you know.Maybe its like Dillon says,i have taken it personal.