PDA

View Full Version : anyone got any better than ever tools?

scottishlad2k10
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
anyone selling better than ever tools? flushers etc?:glare:

Dillon
03-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I have them bu not selling, sorry

scottishlad2k10
03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I have them bu not selling, sorry

whats in your collection like?

Dillon
04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
I just have the rol plough for bedding tapes and a 3" flusher to finnish them, Im currently undecided between a bazooka and a syringe

Beermonster
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Yup!! Got tubes flushers 3 & 2 inch i think! The flusher with the wheel! Hardly used as i dont like them!:)

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Yup!! Got tubes flushers 3 & 2 inch i think! The flusher with the wheel! Hardly used as i dont like them!:)
it seems expencive for what it is beermonster do you use anything from the better than ever? i thought the tube and a flusher was a good idea but not too sure?

crack filler
11-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I use the 3in flusher really like the the tools, but they have tripled in price in the last 4 or 5 years

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I use the 3in flusher really like the the tools, but they have tripled in price in the last 4 or 5 years
do you use the mud tube and the head for applying the filler to the corners before you apply the paper tapes?

or what do you use? :) yeah they are pricey now seen a whole setup think its almost 800 on belmore or 900 not too sure though would rather find out what works for you guys instead of paying like 100 for a flusher thats not worthy of buying

crack filler
12-03-2013, 09:36 AM
do you use the mud tube and the head for applying the filler to the corners before you apply the paper tapes?

or what do you use? :) yeah they are pricey now seen a whole setup think its almost 800 on belmore or 900 not too sure though would rather find out what works for you guys instead of paying like 100 for a flusher thats not worthy of buying

Hiya mate no I use a corner roller have the mud tube but dont use it, should do though it is faster, I notice you said you use filler we only use cement to put tapes up and then coat them. I dont know how much taping you do mate (whether you do whole houses or just the odd room) but if you bought just a 3in and handle and a corner roller just to see how you get on and I promise you they are easy tools, you can coat a 2 bed house internals in about 20mins

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Hiya mate no I use a corner roller have the mud tube but dont use it, should do though it is faster, I notice you said you use filler we only use cement to put tapes up and then coat them. I dont know how much taping you do mate (whether you do whole houses or just the odd room) but if you bought just a 3in and handle and a corner roller just to see how you get on and I promise you they are easy tools, you can coat a 2 bed house internals in about 20mins

ah i see its usually just bg joint filler (fast set) we get our hands on as thats what the locals stock, just depends on taping really as im with a building company so it varys really from small - large extensions to crazy massive kit houses just depends what sort of contracts are in. but were branching off within the month into a painting contractor company so its better :)

im guessing its just one of these things bit slow to start but soon speed up? what gear are you using with your tapes? applying and coating?

Dillon
12-03-2013, 07:18 PM
ah i see its usually just bg joint filler (fast set) we get our hands on as thats what the locals stock, just depends on taping really as im with a building company so it varys really from small - large extensions to crazy massive kit houses just depends what sort of contracts are in. but were branching off within the month into a painting contractor company so its better :)

im guessing its just one of these things bit slow to start but soon speed up? what gear are you using with your tapes? applying and coating?

Tell me if I have this right you have been jointing with JUST BG filler, No wonder your houses are dry in two days. Mate you and I live on different planets.

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Tell me if I have this right you have been jointing with JUST BG filler, No wonder your houses are dry in two days. Mate you and I live on different planets.

yup just like all the other tapers here :) bg & promix and no problems :) 2 coats fast set 1 coat finish, externals and internals applied with fast set 2 coats fast set on top and one coat finish.

i live on the planet of having builders merchants who dont stock anything but bg joint filler and promix or lafarge joint filler, i have no problems with using what i do it works! dries fast! & sand the next day usually, and the moneys in the kit bag none of this fucking about like you poor buggers waiting ages for houses to dry :) i do apologize dillon! dont know how you can put up with drying times like that but.

half the stuff you guys use means jack shit to us....... cements and what not, when i started i used to think it was just the boys with machine taping who used all those fancy named cements and what not :)

with your 20 years experiance ....... is there anything wrong with the way we do it? been back to a few jobs re decorating houses we done years ago and no cracks or problems :D

Dillon
12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
No there is nothing wrong with the way you do your job and there is nothing wrong with mine either. It did sound like you were just using BG filler and nothing else. I have spent a lot of time working on a labour only basis and had to spread what im given, ironically in this case I had to use BG products so pretty much the same as you but my house was just so much wetter than your granny's knickers. By the by I dont have to wait for my money either I was paid for that one 4 day after I finnished it, heaters are not my concern and neither is drying times, if they were I would be getting paid a lot more.

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 07:58 PM
No there is nothing wrong with the way you do your job and there is nothing wrong with mine either. It did sound like you were just using BG filler and nothing else. I have spent a lot of time working on a labour only basis and had to spread what im given, ironically in this case I had to use BG products so pretty much the same as you but my house was just so much wetter than your granny's knickers. By the by I dont have to wait for my money either I was paid for that one 4 day after I finnished it, heaters are not my concern and neither is drying times, if they were I would be getting paid a lot more.

cant win :) guess if your using machines and what not the last thing you want to be pumping through them is the rough texture of fast set fillers which will just damage and scratch what your coating with flat boxes etc? whats your setup? even just with the hand taping and trowls/floats after a while i notice the fast set does infact cause damage to the floats, 30 a float, whats the advantages and dis advantages of the products you use compared to what we use?

Dillon
12-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Shit we are so different I use broard knives and mudpans as hand tools I use 6,8,10 and 12" blades and two pand one for filler and one for cement they probably cost about 7 each on average, My 8" gets the most use and I replace them about every 6weeks but th rest go for ages. I carnt even use a hawk and trowel, Im a taper not a plasterer. Along with that I have the machines except the Bazooka which im still not convinced about. I use the machines for the flat joints and better than ever tools for the internals and im still willing to try new methods, if I were not then I would still be hand taping wouldnt I.

Yes I do first coat with filler through an 8"box using the pump to fill it, I set my allarm for 1hr from when I mix and go like hell then wash out and finnish whats left by hand, usually get all the flats, walls and ceilings on in that hour (3beder) then a few angles with whats left. The next mix gets all the externals on and thats the filling finnished. Then I second coat the flats with a 10"box, Then I put the internals on and bed in. Day 2 I top all the externals then top the flats then finnish the internals.

I used to be pretty quick as a hand taper and would challenge any machine taper but the fact is machines used properly are quicker you only have to do one long joint on a ceiling to figure that out. So if you take a fast hand taper who has learnt how to use the machines (its not hard) you end up with one fast taper. I tell you these the times that we take the piss out of Thomas for are perfectly doable in fact I know two guys that can do exactley that. I take about one and a half days to tape 300sq/m house and was recently next door to two guys who had been taping for 7yrs they took 3 days which makes me 4 times faster than each of them. The sad thing is the site wasnt happy with them because they were taking too long. Its all gone mad.

Dont I go on.....and on.........and on

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Shit we are so different I use broard knives and mudpans as hand tools I use 6,8,10 and 12" blades and two pand one for filler and one for cement they probably cost about 7 each on average, My 8" gets the most use and I replace them about every 6weeks but th rest go for ages. I carnt even use a hawk and trowel, Im a taper not a plasterer. Along with that I have the machines except the Bazooka which im still not convinced about. I use the machines for the flat joints and better than ever tools for the internals and im still willing to try new methods, if I were not then I would still be hand taping wouldnt I.

Yes I do first coat with filler through an 8"box using the pump to fill it, I set my allarm for 1hr from when I mix and go like hell then wash out and finnish whats left by hand, usually get all the flats, walls and ceilings on in that hour (3beder) then a few angles with whats left. The next mix gets all the externals on and thats the filling finnished. Then I second coat the flats with a 10"box, Then I put the internals on and bed in. Day 2 I top all the externals then top the flats then finnish the internals.

I used to be pretty quick as a hand taper and would challenge any machine taper but the fact is machines used properly are quicker you only have to do one long joint on a ceiling to figure that out. So if you take a fast hand taper who has learnt how to use the machines (its not hard) you end up with one fast taper. I tell you these the times that we take the piss out of Thomas for are perfectly doable in fact I know two guys that can do exactley that. I take about one and a half days to tape 300sq/m house and was recently next door to two guys who had been taping for 7yrs they took 3 days which makes me 4 times faster than each of them. The sad thing is the site wasnt happy with them because they were taking too long. Its all gone mad.

Dont I go on.....and on.........and on

i use knifes too just depends really got knifes and pans from belmore a few years back modified one pan and added a clip to it, good for working off ladders and what not compared to trying to hang about with a float and a hawk, tight areas where theres no hand/float room to manouver,

you say your a taper not a plasterer? im a painter not a taper nor a plasterer yet il happily work with plaster yet prefer to work with fillers and taping due to plaster being crap, nothing but hassle with plaster dont understand why people spend all the money sheeting houses and then spending hundreds and thousands giving the boarding a thin 2-3mm thick skim of plaster which just cracks and causes mayhem with settlement etc when taping can be done quicker cheaper and suffers alot less from settlement in new builds. worlds crazy, im going to invest in some proper taping tools soon i reckon worth a bash just not sure if the gear were using would be any use with machines. flat boxes look like the best investment zooming around hitting all the flats

how do you bed your tapes? fibre or paper on flats?

Dillon
12-03-2013, 09:06 PM
TBH to start just get the pump a 10" and 12" box and put the first coat on by hand untill you get familiar with the boxes. I use fibre on the flats and paper on internals bed them in with a rolplough and finnish with a flusher.