PDA

View Full Version : joint filler

scottishlad2k10
10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
well had a wee homer yesterday went to the local merchant 1 bucket of gyproc lite finish 32.99 and 2 bags of fast set bg 28 60.99! raped or what????
bags were 13 each a week ago now upped to 14 and the buckets shot up almost 2.99 its getting that expencive its becoming unaffordable

when i started this nonsense 7 years ago a bag of fast set was about 8 and a bucket of finish was about 16 gone up alot over 7 years.

scottishlad2k10
10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
roll of fibretape is now 7.12 and roll of paper tape is 9.40

TonyM
10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
That's some crazy prices there. Are you right up the arse end of Scotland and getting ripped off because of this? I would've thought you could get tapes shipped by the box for 2-3 a roll inc shipping from the likes of Belmore or similar.

forestbhoy
10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
You cant get paper or scrim cheaper than that, ,........????

sq ames taper
11-03-2013, 07:46 AM
well had a wee homer yesterday went to the local merchant 1 bucket of gyproc lite finish 32.99 and 2 bags of fast set bg 28 60.99! raped or what????
bags were 13 each a week ago now upped to 14 and the buckets shot up almost 2.99 its getting that expencive its becoming unaffordable

when i started this nonsense 7 years ago a bag of fast set was about 8 and a bucket of finish was about 16 gone up alot over 7 years.

14 for a bag of fast set??? where are you buying from? i dont even think b&q are that expensive, im getting filler for about 7 inc vat and smartmix for about 18 a tub, fibatape is about 5 and paper 3, you need to start shopping around

Dillon
11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
If I had to pay those prices for gear I wouldn get out of bed.

Brian S
11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Surely Marcus could sort something out for you?

Dillon
11-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Surely Marcus could sort something out for you?

Just ordered some metal angle scrim and paper tape from him myself :)

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Just ordered some metal angle scrim and paper tape from him myself :)

prices are just totally crooked here couldnt get over them putting the prices up they changed the design of the buckets to make them more balanced for shipping by the pallet load i think not 100% sure but i think there is now less finish in the buckets they are also smaller and not as solid as the old style which were used for platforms lol.

thats just the prices at our local builders merchants "jewsons, buildbase, and a home improvement" unfortunatly offshore scotland about 50 a pallet these guys claim is ferry prices which is lies as there is mainland guys who come here weekly with artics and twin trailers and they can still charge alot less on timber & plasterboard etc than the local merchants 2 sheets of 12mm plasterboard plain, 2 lengths of crap 2x2" timber cost me just shy of 30 a few weekends ago. the mainland firm who come over place an order of 100 or more and they deliver to your door for free and also have an on board forklift for offloading they are 4 cheaper on the sheets of plasterboard and the 2x2 is roughly 3 for 4.8m

marcus @ belmore well i cant fault the guy i bought tools from him a couple of years ago pretty cheap and great quality the downfall was that the postage price was almost the same price as the tools i orderd from him :( people see the postcode and they crap themselfs! dont see why any paints etc they say like "oh extra hazordous" that sort of jibberish yet i can get 2pack car paint shipped over 2.5L + activator thinners etc for 6 now thats more hazardous than the likes of undercoats and glosses?

scottishlad2k10
11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
That's some crazy prices there. Are you right up the arse end of Scotland and getting ripped off because of this? I would've thought you could get tapes shipped by the box for 2-3 a roll inc shipping from the likes of Belmore or similar.

pretty much tony going to have to look into and sorce materials from the mainland and get the boss told that the prices they are charging is totally out of order im sure i looked into it before and a bag of fast set here was 12 and on the mainland was 6 same with promix it was about 18 a bucket on the mainland and 28 here prices seem to rocket every year as were more painters than tapers and shelf lifes on bagged fillers i dont think it would be worthy of stocking but im sure the likes of paper and fiber tapes stored properly would be alright for a long period of time

E.K Taper
11-03-2013, 09:29 PM
roll of fibretape is now 7.12 and roll of paper tape is 9.40
Thats shocking Scottishlad, what merchant do yous go to, Harrods??????
Marcus @ Belmore should be able to beat that hands down, even with postage.
Check ebay too, I've picked up some tape from there a few times

Dobietaper
11-03-2013, 09:43 PM
14 for a bag of fast set??? where are you buying from? i dont even think b&q are that expensive, im getting filler for about 7 inc vat and smartmix for about 18 a tub, fibatape is about 5 and paper 3, you need to start shopping around
where u getin smartmix ?

sq ames taper
12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
where u getin smartmix ?

lothian builders, macmerry ind est

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Thats shocking Scottishlad, what merchant do yous go to, Harrods??????
Marcus @ Belmore should be able to beat that hands down, even with postage.
Check ebay too, I've picked up some tape from there a few times

be cheaper in harrods man!

NEW DAY NEW JOB WENT TO BUILDBASE "I WANT 2 BAGS OF BG FAST SET AND A BUCKET OF PROMIX AND A ROLL OF FIBRETAPE"

ONLY TO BE HANDED 2 BAGS OF GTEC JOINT FILLER EXTRA ALL I CAN SAY IS THE STUFF IS UTTER SH*TE! NEVER GETTING IT AGAIN CANT STAND LAFARGE! put off lafarge years ago when the boss orderd buckets of their finish from the mainland and the time spent sanding/ trying to sand the stuff!

had words with the boss he told me to look into buying from the mainland when i told him the prices and he gets big discounts from merchants here but even then its 9 + dearer than the mainland price

WHO USES THAT PISH GTEC JOINT FILLER? first time ever touching it today and its horrible stuff! back to the fastset for me other tapers were in kicking up about buildbase dumping the bg and stocking the lafarge joiners were in kicking up about the lafarge plasterboard they are stocking all hell letting lose this may be something they regret :)

E.K Taper
13-03-2013, 12:13 AM
WHO USES THAT PISH GTEC JOINT FILLER? first time ever touching it today and its horrible stuff! back to the fastset for me other tapers were in kicking up about buildbase dumping the bg and stocking the lafarge joiners were in kicking up about the lafarge plasterboard they are stocking all hell letting lose this may be something they regret :)
Ooooft its all kicking off on Lewis eh?!
I've used the Gtec stuff and yeah, its not a patch on BG. However, as you're all aware due to my constant whining on here, I've got to use knauf and its sooo bad I'd take the Gtec over it ANY day

TonyM
13-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I used the G-Tec Extra joint filler for a little while and thought it was ok. Not quite BG quality, but not user unfriendly.

Dobietaper
13-03-2013, 05:53 PM
lothian builders, macmerry ind est
cheers m8:awesome:

scottishlad2k10
13-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Ooooft its all kicking off on Lewis eh?!
I've used the Gtec stuff and yeah, its not a patch on BG. However, as you're all aware due to my constant whining on here, I've got to use knauf and its sooo bad I'd take the Gtec over it ANY day

you can buy all the crappy gtec before it gets here lol went in for a bucket of promix this morning and there was joiners bitching about the lafarge plasterboard and how many blades they were going through cutting it and then 2 tapers bitching that they are selling shite instead of gyproc lol. ah im not sure what it is about the gtec but it just feels like it shouldnt be used see when skimming over it with promix it sort of causes it to drag? and then when the promix is dry you get a weird texture instead of the usual smoothness?

difficult to describe yet its easy to sand the gtec stuff? i wonder how it holds up on external tapes hmm if knauf is that bad you can keep it lol

scottishlad2k10
13-03-2013, 07:42 PM
I used the G-Tec Extra joint filler for a little while and thought it was ok. Not quite BG quality, but not user unfriendly.

whats the best and worst stuff youve ever worked with tony? guessing you get a better choice of materials down there

TonyM
13-03-2013, 08:13 PM
whats the best and worst stuff youve ever worked with tony? guessing you get a better choice of materials down there

Knauf jointing products are horrible. The filler is coarse and the cement doesn't blend in very well at all. Always used to use BG joint cement until it became a twat to sand and went up ridiculously in price. Happy to use BG filler and G-Tec Smartmix Extra now.

scottishlad2k10
13-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Knauf jointing products are horrible. The filler is coarse and the cement doesn't blend in very well at all. Always used to use BG joint cement until it became a twat to sand and went up ridiculously in price. Happy to use BG filler and G-Tec Smartmix Extra now.ah i see :) what is the smartmix extra? isit a readymix or bagged? cement finish or? theres so many makes and types out there and all we get a blast at is bg gtec filler and promix :(

TonyM
13-03-2013, 10:43 PM
ah i see :) what is the smartmix extra? isit a readymix or bagged? cement finish or? theres so many makes and types out there and all we get a blast at is bg gtec filler and promix :(

Smartmix Extra is readymix finish.

scottishlad2k10
14-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Smartmix Extra is readymix finish.

ah i see whats it like to work with?& sand could you compare it to promix atall?

TonyM
14-03-2013, 05:27 PM
ah i see whats it like to work with?& sand could you compare it to promix atall?
More body than promix and sets harder but nice to sand. I didn't like Promix as it was gutless and too soft.

scottishlad2k10
14-03-2013, 06:04 PM
More body than promix and sets harder but nice to sand. I didn't like Promix as it was gutless and too soft.

ah i see promix isnt what it used to be it was thicker before they started selling the smaller buckets (ones you cant really stand on) taller ones the stuff was thicker bit like the way paints are going now too

Pd67
13-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Hi Scottishlad I live in Shetland and pay (with slight discount) 24 ProMix lite, 10 fast set, paper tape la farge 6.09.
not too sure what fibre tape costs.
I'll try to find out what's our Buildbase prices are if that would help.

scottishlad2k10
14-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Scottishlad I live in Shetland and pay (with slight discount) 24 ProMix lite, 10 fast set, paper tape la farge 6.09.
not too sure what fibre tape costs.
I'll try to find out what's our Buildbase prices are if that would help.

crazy how even yous are paying less than us pd, were only 3 hours off the mainland yous are like 16hour boat from aberdeen?
who do you work for up there i know of a few people?

Pd67
14-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Our trade (P&D) prices are mostly reasonable( as far as I know). 12 hours from Aberdeen, so yes Shetland is much further than you, is it Lewis you live?
We do get seriously spanked when ordering trade stuff from the Internet decorating retailers though.
i work for myself by the way. Used to work for Anderson and Cluness. They're the biggest firm up here, Who do you know?