PDA

View Full Version : starting off

kentish plasterer
12-03-2013, 07:56 PM
starting off as a taper what is the number one tool that needs to be at the top of the list of things to buy?

If starting off on site I probably know the answer to this but is a power sander that important or can you start off with a good pole sander???

ill be hand taping at first no money for big boys toys!!!

Im a plasterer soo have 110v whisk lights hawks trowels ect
just other stuff im stumped on any help please guys

amestaper
12-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Boxes, but they need a handle and pump though.

Brian S
12-03-2013, 08:33 PM
If your hand taping I would say a corner flusher and handle, as that's the slowest part of the job (well for me anyway)
You can mud up the internal with a tar brush on a stick or a corner roller.

Sanding can be done with the "idiot stick" , but I think one of these http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatalog/Flex_Edge_Multi_Layered_Sanding_Tool.html
is better as it doesn't flip like a normal pole sander, and they fit on a roller pole, so you can sand higher ares from the floor

kentish plasterer
12-03-2013, 08:40 PM
thanks guys Im planning on buying as Im earning.
just didnt want to be laughed off site

Dillon
12-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Well a sander is a great tool but if you keep your taping really neat then a pole sander will do, trouble is to make money at todays prices you have to be quick, and quick means less tidy an less tidy means more sanding.

Other than that Im with Brian get a corner flusher.

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 08:43 PM
starting off as a taper what is the number one tool that needs to be at the top of the list of things to buy?

If starting off on site I probably know the answer to this but is a power sander that important or can you start off with a good pole sander???

ill be hand taping at first no money for big boys toys!!!

Im a plasterer soo have 110v whisk lights hawks trowels ect
just other stuff im stumped on any help please guys

trowel,hawk and internal float :) some tin snips, set of filling knifes a varity of sizes come in very handy! from 1" - 14" also you probably have a leaf and sqare pointing tool? i would invest in a normal sanding pole aswell as a radius 360 but the normal sanding pole being one which can screw onto the top of a fibreglass roller pole same with the radius 360 :)

my first drywall sander was a 2 prong from ebay cost me 60 bargain! didnt know what it would be like seeing how cheap it was compared to what the boys on here were using debated it and finally forked out for it it came kinda heavy but it worked a dream along side the powerful fox hoover which was about 120 can safely say it saved many hours of swetting like a bit** sanding rooms and also saved alot of time and made the money back within a few jobs :)

drywall sander died 2 years later and many jobs later from a broken drive shaft i abused it on a ruff artext ceiling and the driveshaft snapped and the price of a new shaft was just less than another drywall sander so just bought a new one :) fox hoover was good plugged the sander into it with the 2 prong to 3 prong adaptor and when you switched the sander on the hoover would kick in, although on sites you wont get away with 240v itl all be 110v which is a bummer :)

kentish plasterer
12-03-2013, 09:04 PM
iv seen the 70 jobbys in ebay but its the voltage that stuffs you for site not bad for domestics.
still mite buy one tho

kentish plasterer
12-03-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DRYWALL-SANDER-ELECTRIC-SWIVEL-750W-LONG-SANDER-WALL-CEILING-SANDER-GRINDE-/281041489402?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item416f60cdfa

kentish plasterer
12-03-2013, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZB37nihL8

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 09:16 PM
iv seen the 70 jobbys in ebay but its the voltage that stuffs you for site not bad for domestics.
still mite buy one tho

im not going to complain only thing is got to be careful near the external tapes as the sander will eat straight through it :) i was chuffed with mine lol. get more aless right into the internal corners with them too maybe 5-10mm out but thats easy to sand :) yeah sites are all 110v now although u may find a cheaper one on 110v on ebay too

scottishlad2k10
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DRYWALL-SANDER-ELECTRIC-SWIVEL-750W-LONG-SANDER-WALL-CEILING-SANDER-GRINDE-/281041489402?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item416f60cdfa

same one i had but it was 60 2 year ago lol

forestbhoy
12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Anyone starting,the internals can be daunting to get on,but coating them up can be a devil of a job. Not one tool i'll grant you,but 3" head,pole,roller,pump and corner box.

E.K Taper
12-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Definately get angle tools mate. As a plasterer you'll be quick enough doing the main tapes with a hawk n trowel.Get one of those corner rollers for painters, an internal angle roller,and a 3" corner finisher with handle. You can use them to finish the angles too, until you get an angle box and pump

kentish plasterer
20-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys iv. Just finished a small job by hand wasn't as bad as I thought

TonyM
20-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys iv. Just finished a small job by hand wasn't as bad as I thought

Photos or it didn't happen.

scottishlad2k10
21-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Photos or it didn't happen.

^ deffo :D