PDA

View Full Version : Applicator head

Dillon
23-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I use a corner pro or now my new mudrunner with an aplicator head to apply mud to my internals then I bed them with a rollplough. This works well for the most part but if I have the mud a tad thin which is esier to apply then I get a lot of excess mud to get rid of (mostly of the floor), I was wondering if there was a aplicator head with shallower groves that will apply a little less mud, failing that I could just mill some material of one of mine to try.

Dillons bored again :rolleyes:

forestbhoy
23-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Use a machine and tried a roll plough. Was quicker,but the mess on the walls that had to be cleaned,made it no quicker.

Dillon
23-03-2013, 08:57 PM
its only messy when the mud is too thin, but if you have it thicker the machines dont work as well thats why Im trying to put less mud on to start. The art of using the machines is getting the mix right every time.

Still working on this but when your house bashing you done really have the time to experiment (much)

TonyM
23-03-2013, 11:05 PM
My Aplatech mud head puts on just the right amount of material, and the beauty of the Canon is that it can push thick mud so it's not dripping everywhere. The aplatech head isn't as wide or deep as the standard mud head. If I need a bit more gear, I just turn the air pressure up a bit. Unfortunately, the Aplatech head won 't fit on a Mudrunner, plus it's about 200 on it's own.

jase hag
24-03-2013, 06:02 AM
We had that problem with my mudrunner.like tony said the alpa tech is just right,so we use that all the time now.mudrunner back in shed.

Dillon
24-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks for that the alpa tech sounds great but not for my pocket, however there is a head similar that will fit the mudrunner I think its called a red diamond its thinner longer and not aswide. Its just trial and error till I find what suits me.

jase hag
24-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that the alpa tech sounds great but not for my pocket, however there is a head similar that will fit the mudrunner I think its called a red diamond its thinner longer and not aswide. Its just trial and error till I find what suits me.
Let me know how you get on with the red diamond.

thomas.savage
24-03-2013, 09:43 AM
dont buy that red diamond the wheels on it run too far from wall leaving way too much on or the b t e. depending on which head your using there are simple mods that i have tried and tested to solve for mentioned problem. tape pro is the best head or the tape tech with the grates is best for one coating both can be made to put less on.

Dillon
24-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Thomas we really must get together sometime, I dont know if I have a house this week yet, usually get the call on sunday, if the weather holds maybe i'll pop up and catch up with ya.

TonyM
24-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Corner roller and 3.5 finisher looks the way to go. The rol-plow is good but this IMO is a better way. 2nd coat with a 2.5 and Bob's your uncle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXvLDiARdpM

This guy has no problem with it. The close up at the end looks pretty neat too.

thomas.savage
24-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Corner roller and 3.5 finisher looks the way to go. The rol-plow is good but this IMO is a better way. 2nd coat with a 2.5 and Bob's your uncle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXvLDiARdpM

This guy has no problem with it. The close up at the end looks pretty neat too.
yes IF you can leave first 3.5 flush coat to dry then second coat with 2.5 is great but getting units done well without the drying time between coats is a whole other ball game... tape in a day you got to imploy other tactics... much harder

TonyM
24-03-2013, 02:50 PM
yes IF you can leave first 3.5 flush coat to dry then second coat with 2.5 is great but getting units done well without the drying time between coats is a whole other ball game... tape in a day you got to imploy other tactics... much harder

As in fast set 1st coat and 2nd coat cement, or just one thick one over the tape?

Dillon
24-03-2013, 02:57 PM
I now have two aplicator heads one standard with 4.5mm groves and the other is now down to 2.5mm groves, Thomas its easy to do I just usea a flat block with some sand paper on it and a bit of elbow grease. I'll let you know how it works.

thomas.savage
24-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I now have two aplicator heads one standard with 4.5mm groves and the other is now down to 2.5mm groves, Thomas its easy to do I just usea a flat block with some sand paper on it and a bit of elbow grease. I'll let you know how it works.
nice one mate.. i am sure it will be great. my old worn one was... till i lost it. should not have to piss the cement down too. get a corner roller tho m8. get together some day when u have mastered mud runner we can have a face off with the syringe..

thomas.savage
24-03-2013, 05:14 PM
As in fast set 1st coat and 2nd coat cement, or just one thick one over the tape?

best to use easi fill for bed of tape fast set congeals n dont top over as nice. roll in and flush wih 3 or 3.5 allow to set then 2.5 with jc and syringe results in perfect corner in a day. bit stressful on big units tend to just use jc roll in knife off tight leave for hour or so then finish with 3 inch columbia head with syringe.. 90% perfect better than one coat with bte flusher that most house bashers do these days... i dont like to see the paper tape grinning when i leave my unit nor leave edges to sand but each to there own.