PDA

View Full Version : Bazooka

tictac2340
19-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi all, what is the best gear to put in a Bazooka, and what would be the set time.

Cheers All

TT

boonie72
19-04-2013, 09:19 PM
joint cement mate,I wouldnt put filler through an autotaper asking for trouble if that goes off in your machine.I find bg quicksand good for taping.There is more body in the muck and less drips when flushing the tape,being bg its a bit harder to sand.

E.K Taper
19-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Yip, British Gypsum Joint Cement for me (whenever I get round to buying a bazooka again)
Dont put ANYTHING thru a bazooka if it has a setting time

sq ames taper
20-04-2013, 01:36 PM
any joint cement , ,readymix or powder,these are air drying compounds so depends on the conditions for drying times but i do find readymix dries a little faster,

tictac2340
21-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks gents, am looking into get one , can you do the internal and flats on the same day with a Bazooka, using joint cement

TT

boonie72
21-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes you could do that mate but why.are you doing flats with joint tape,dont you use scrim and filler?The only time I ha
ve taped that way is when the builders in their wisdom decided to change to that method but soon went back to scrim as the production was to slow.
I have a columbia autotaper,runs like a dream had it five years now and just invested in another one.Try walls and ceilings they are doing a deal on columbia tools,if you spend a grand excluding vat you get a free pump.Speak to Paul in tool sales he knows his stuff.

tictac2340
21-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Cheers Boonie, do you have a web site address for the walls and ceilings .

TT

boonie72
21-04-2013, 08:02 PM
yes mate...www.walls-and-ceilings.co.uk

Beermonster
22-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Yes you could do that mate but why.are you doing flats with joint tape,dont you use scrim and filler?The only time I ha
ve taped that way is when the builders in their wisdom decided to change to that method but soon went back to scrim as the production was to slow.
I have a columbia autotaper,runs like a dream had it five years now and just invested in another one.Try walls and ceilings they are doing a deal on columbia tools,if you spend a grand excluding vat you get a free pump.Speak to Paul in tool sales he knows his stuff.

Yea scrim is quicker,But stronger?
Never!!
We wont really get away with that stuff up here!
I only box a house 2 times now with 8 and 12 but it has 2 be dry before first box! Do u scrim/fastset then 10 and 12?

boonie72
22-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi,yes I do work that way,when I was taping your way I was putting 8,10 & 12 boxes on.Too much work for one house.

tictac2340
22-04-2013, 05:21 PM
If you do the internal would it be dry the next day with joint cement, we would use easy fill on the flats over scrim, before we spray the plaster the same day.

We are just doing are first house now, so i am finding the pit falls , and what will speed things up, thats why i think it would be best to buy a bazooka for the internals.

The spray plaster is really fast we skimmed out 6 rooms in 5 hours, and looks really good, will spray a mist coat of emulsion over it all so we can snag it .And hope the builder will be impressed.

TT

tictac2340
23-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Can you tell me do you flat box the recesses, after you have applied the scrim, and does it do a good job of filling the recesses, if it does my be i mite have to invest in a flat box as well.

TT

boonie72
23-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Blimey mate talk about in at the deep end.If weather conditions are good then yes tapes might be dry next day but dont bank on it,have loads of trouble getting tapes dry on green moisture boards in bathroooms.You could box the joints but beware of running setting compounds through your box and pump and make sure its cleaned out in time.I put all my flats on by hand ,scrimming and filling on ceilings I use stilts which I find quicker so I dont have the up and down on hopups.
Your looking at spending a lot of money on tools you may not be competant at excuse my ignorance if you can run these tools already there a definate skill to it.

tictac2340
23-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Bonnie, am getting very frustrated at the time it takes to prep the room, before we can spray.
May be i just need more practice , I do think if we have a good run that i could put easy fill in the flat box and keep my eye on the time every mix then wash out .The Bazooka is a different matter, its a lot of cash, and if the filler its not dry the next day that will just cock every thing up for the day.
Am at a loss what to do.
TT

boonie72
23-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I understand what your saying,I have no knowledge of spray plaster to me its defeating the object as your taping rooms anyway.Then you misc coat then make good again to me taping the house straight through is easier,what do you do for your reveals,do you sand down after?The only way I can see you will gain is by having a run of plots that you can overlap in as I do in mine.

E.K Taper
23-04-2013, 10:26 PM
me too, I cant see why you should have to spray plaster, is it a site requirement? Is it quicker? Is it less hassle?
Again, be very wary of putting easifill or fast set thru your pump/boxes. I apply this by hawk n trowel to avoid the heartbreak of it setting up inside the pump or box.

Dillon
24-04-2013, 06:44 AM
I have done sprey plastering and I think its a lot of hard work for nothing special. We used kanauf airtec and use to box on the first coat with it and the internals, the externals were done with filler as normal.
We found that if we only one coated before spreying it didnt fill out propperly due to shrinkge so we started two coating then spreying, Then it was obvious that it would be quicker and easier to just box the third coat on rather than spreying the whole wall. The only advantage of spreying is it gets rid of all the little dinks and dents that tapers can miss and it dries all the same colour, but a coat of sealant will sort that.

Just my tupence worth.

Brian S
24-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Just a curious question.
What if the boards were square edge, then scrim and a 10" box with easy fill, then spray?
Never having sprayed I don't know what the coverage is like

Dillon
24-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Just a curious question.
What if the boards were square edge, then scrim and a 10" box with easy fill, then spray?
Never having sprayed I don't know what the coverage is like

Yes Brian that would have been much easier to do but then you might have ended up with a hump, any way we were not doing the boarding and had no say.

tictac2340
24-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Dillon, we get a good rate for board and skim , we are decorators by trade.

I have only gone into this coz the way work is over here , its on its arse.
If we do the boarding out and spray the plaster, we get all the decorating as well, we spray the mist coat of emulsion on and the first coat as well, as thair is no skirting or frames in .
we can spray a hole house out with paint in a morning, so we get in at the very start of a job.

Dillon
25-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Dillon, we get a good rate for board and skim , we are decorators by trade.

I have only gone into this coz the way work is over here , its on its arse.
If we do the boarding out and spray the plaster, we get all the decorating as well, we spray the mist coat of emulsion on and the first coat as well, as thair is no skirting or frames in .
we can spray a hole house out with paint in a morning, so we get in at the very start of a job.

Definatley the way to go if you can get it, I remember years ago when I used to board and then joint a house each time but as time went on it became boarders and jointers as seperate jobs, I ended up Jointing. Its all about keeping your self in work.