PDA

View Full Version : Sanders

crack filler
05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Think my old porter cable has finally finished. It's been a great servant. Anybody using this Q-tech one, is it any good, are spares easily sourced

Dillon
05-06-2013, 07:08 PM
why dont you buy another porter cable ???

big g
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
hi crack,EKs your man there,sure he won 1 from belmore and gave it quite a good review,and belmore sell them so would imagine he would have plenty spares.

crack filler
05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
why dont you buy another porter cable ???

Are the new porter cables as good as the old ones. Heard they went downhill.
A mate of mine bought a flex a couple of years ago and it was so slow compared with my machine.
My motor is still running strong but all the metal at the end of the main shaft has broken away

crack filler
05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
hi crack,EKs your man there,sure he won 1 from belmore and gave it quite a good review,and belmore sell them so would imagine he would have plenty spares.

Ah yes I remember EK being a lucky bastard. I know he liked it at the time wonder if he still does

Dillon
05-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Are the new porter cables as good as the old ones. Heard they went downhill.
A mate of mine bought a flex a couple of years ago and it was so slow compared with my machine.
My motor is still running strong but all the metal at the end of the main shaft has broken away

No I meant buy a porter cable not a flex you can still get them from the USA, the flex (EU) version is a lot slower and not as good.

DMC
07-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Took delivery of a nice new shiny q-tech sander last week, only used it on a couple of plots but i dont see any difference between it and a flex tbh. Easier to hold thanks to a pistol style grip near the motor and some foam around the shaft, i like it

crack filler
07-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Took delivery of a nice new shiny q-tech sander last week, only used it on a couple of plots but i dont see any difference between it and a flex tbh. Easier to hold thanks to a pistol style grip near the motor and some foam around the shaft, i like it

thanks DMC my only concern is the rpm its 1600 hundred compared with 2000 on the porter cable

DMC
08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
thanks DMC my only concern is the rpm its 1600 hundred compared with 2000 on the porter cable

Using it with 120 grit paper at 1600 rpm hasnt been a problem, i would recommend it

E.K Taper
10-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi crackfiller, yes i was the lucky sod that won the New Year draw and got a Qtech sander and I do like it. As DMC said its similar to the Flex but a bit easier to hold and comes with a canvas carry bag instead of the big red trumpet case that the Flex comes in! Belmore will sort ye out with spares too.
I remember stating in my review that the motor gives out a blast of cold air that would cut you in two, but thats dependant on temperature as it was January then! Not as cold now!
Its worth a pop mate:):)

DMC
11-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Hi crackfiller, yes i was the lucky sod that won the New Year draw and got a Qtech sander and I do like it. As DMC said its similar to the Flex but a bit easier to hold and comes with a canvas carry bag instead of the big red trumpet case that the Flex comes in! Belmore will sort ye out with spares too.
I remember stating in my review that the motor gives out a blast of cold air that would cut you in two, but thats dependant on temperature as it was January then! Not as cold now!
Its worth a pop mate:):)

Still using yours with 80 grit paper EK? :whistling:

sq ames taper
11-06-2013, 03:43 PM
What vacuums do you guys use? which is the best value for money

Dillon
11-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Porter cable 14yrs old and still going which is more than can be said for me

crack filler
11-06-2013, 06:26 PM
hiya EK and DMC thanks for the great reveiws certainly worth a look.

TonyM
11-06-2013, 07:36 PM
What vacuums do you guys use? which is the best value for money
Hilti VC40M

Looked the other day and they are now 570 + vat.

E.K Taper
11-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Still using yours with 80 grit paper EK? :whistling:
haha! 120grit all the way just now Davie, although could be doing with some 100grit for the BGypsum stuff.
i got some 60grit in the van that i got from ebay for a fiver. i'll pass it on to ya mate, think you;ll need it more than me......

edit=on reading my post again, i will say it was the 60grit I got from ebay for a fiver, not my van!

DMC
12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
haha! 120grit all the way just now Davie, although could be doing with some 100grit for the BGypsum stuff.
i got some 60grit in the van that i got from ebay for a fiver. i'll pass it on to ya mate, think you;ll need it more than me......

edit=on reading my post again, i will say it was the 60grit I got from ebay for a fiver, not my van!

Yir van isnae worth a fiver :scared1:

E.K Taper
12-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Yir van isnae worth a fiver :scared1:
:middlefinger:

DMC
13-06-2013, 01:09 PM
:middlefinger:

The truth hurts right enough :laughing1:

E.K Taper
13-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Fook all wrong wi my van:p

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuYKna8R-spdWmL8aHlZ4OrxYLaklHGQwHyU86xdZseaIsZX3y

crack filler
18-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Can't believe it, sander was on its last legs but working then Friday vacuum went bang so sanded 2 flats without vacuum unbelievable amount of dust. Today went to sand again and the drive shaft on sander bust had to finish flat with idiot stick. What else can can go wrong? Do you think it's somebody telling me my work doesn't need sanding or to give up taping.
On a happier note got new vacuum from Belmore yesterday (DW50) and for the little time I used it for seemed really good, heavier than my makita but good suction. And my new porter cable turned up today, I know you guys liked the Q-tech but decided I would miss the extra power.

forestbhoy
18-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Funny thing taping,you know your kit needs fixing or a bit of tlc. When your busy you aint got time and when your quiet, your loathed to spend money because work is quiet.......bugger yun it lol..... all been there mate.

crack filler
18-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Haha got that one right mate