PDA

View Full Version : Rate rises

saleen836
19-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Nice to finally see rate increases :) also a shortage of labour (my area anyway).

amestaper
19-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Thats the best news Ive heard all day. Have they returned to sensible levels?

sq ames taper
19-10-2013, 07:47 PM
i'm currently making the best money i've ever made and had 2 phone calls in the last week from subbies asking if i'm interested working for them, Unfortunately for them it was 2 subbies that took the piss when the ball was in there court so they can go f***k themselves!

Dillon
19-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Its nice to have your phone ring than to have to ring around. Things are looking up.

amestaper
20-10-2013, 08:52 AM
My phone has rang 5 or 6 times in the last fortnight and all but one were big jobs. I gave some away on here. Did anyone land any and were the rates ok?

saleen836
20-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Thats the best news Ive heard all day. Have they returned to sensible levels?

I wouldn't say sensible but almost all the contractors in my area have upped the rates by 10-15p a sqm.

In the past 2-3 weeks I have had half a dozen calls asking if i'm available, funniest was an agency offering me 85p a meter but could go to 90p! :lmao:

The company they were hiring for had already called me a few days before offering me 1.50 a meter

amestaper
20-10-2013, 11:10 AM
That's their markup right there. We once used an agency guy costing 27 PH and he was getting paid no more than 11. Negotiations to bring him onboard longer term and keep everyone happy (except the agency) lasted no more than 60 seconds. I am surprised there is still room for construction agencies to wring any more money out of an already squeezed to death industry.

forestbhoy
20-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Christmas completions have started,so everybody is now your best friend until the start of december. Should be busy up to then and hopefully just after. Wages wont go up to reasonable levels until the building really starts to rally imho. Too many have dropped out, so we will become valuable commodities. Then we should have the boot on the other foot as far as house bashing goes. With the cuts we had to take and food,fuel,diesel,etc rocketing the last 5 years, i reckon each house i do should be 50% extra by my calculations. Our day will come brothers and sisters.......lol..

saleen836
20-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Christmas completions have started,so everybody is now your best friend until the start of december. Should be busy up to then and hopefully just after. Wages wont go up to reasonable levels until the building really starts to rally imho. Too many have dropped out, so we will become valuable commodities. Then we should have the boot on the other foot as far as house bashing goes. With the cuts we had to take and food,fuel,diesel,etc rocketing the last 5 years, i reckon each house i do should be 50% extra by my calculations. Our day will come brothers and sisters.......lol..

Christmas completions along with the other 60 odd plots that need to be completed by end of May 14, I'm looking to be busy right through until then :)

DMC
20-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Our rates still arent that good but the amount of work out there just now is staggering

E.K Taper
21-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Good to hear you're busy, DMC, we plodding along nicely just now. No rate increases but then again, we've not had any cuts either.

forestbhoy
21-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Shame it will never happen that we all stick together and say this amount or bugger off...... if we keep being willing to work for peanuts, then we get what we deserve ......a lot of boarders have dropped out and they are like gold dust at the mo......we should follow suit imho....

FreestyleDryliner
21-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Never been that busy. Me and my mate got around 220 houses to bash out on front of us. Fix&supply 2.20 sq/m ,south west uk.

belmoreboy
22-10-2013, 01:21 PM
don't get too excited - just started receiving the dreaded manufacturer increase letters ! :mad:

on the plus side - there seems to be stacks of work around and government money being ploughed back into affordable housing to boost the building trade!

Dobietaper
22-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Fix&supply 2.20 sq/m ,south west uk.
thats less than my laburor only rate

TonyM
22-10-2013, 06:58 PM
don't get too excited - just started receiving the dreaded manufacturer increase letters ! :mad:

Will have to put the rate up then.

Dillon
22-10-2013, 07:12 PM
funny how we seem to get 2 or 3 increases in material prices each year but not in the meter rate. My local merchant blames suppliers for increases but when I show him I can get it cheaper else where he offers to price match. Go figure.

Dillon
01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I recently did a house for a new company it took them a month to pay me and then it cam in a good 150 less than I was expecting for a house that size so it dont matter if they put their rate up by 0.20p/m if they knock 20sq/m off the measure. Lucky I only did the one.

Beermonster
21-12-2013, 01:51 PM
I got my rates up 2 weeks ago!!;)
Teach the boss of the firm 2 phone me when drunk lol!:D
Phoned back 2 days later and called me a c*nt!!!

toptaper66
22-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Nice to hear us guys may finally get paid the rates we deserve!! The company I subby off have just secured 400 units Nr Milton Keynes & told the housing company that the price used in their tender will only stand for 12 months then they'll re-negogiate.At 47 i'm hoping to do 5-6 more yrs and make good money before heading off somewhere bloody warm lol.....:cool:

saleen836
08-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Been a while for this thread!

I have been busy all through 2014, so much so I worked 6 days a week all year apart from about 6 weeks where I worked only 5,this year has started the same way and the best bit of all is the 19% rate rise I just got! :cool:

How is it for everyone else?

TonyM
08-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Once I finish the job I'm doing, I'm not taking on any taping anymore, unless they want to pay me a fiver a metre. I fcuking hate it. Actually considering selling my kit so I can't do it. I'm actually at work today with a recovering bad back, having just had to re board the underside of a stair winder because the chippy who boarded it thinking he was doing me a favour because I was off, made such a fcuking lash up of it, it was virtually un-tapable. Can you sense the tone here?

drywall guy
08-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Rates are tight enough without fixing someone else's shity work because they're on a price & the price is tight. Fix nothing for nobody and do nothing for nothing . Who comes and fixes your work?.

Dillon
08-03-2015, 06:02 PM
I have found out it doesn't matter how good the rate is If they expect you to pick up all the extras from all the cock ups and other trade damage, even if they pay you day work you loose out and when you sit down and work it all out, its the bottom line that counts and nothing else.

TonyM
08-03-2015, 06:59 PM
It's not the money side that pisses me off. It's the time spent doing that, that then puts you behind, when you have more important work to be getting on with.

toptaper66
09-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Been a while for this thread!

I have been busy all through 2014, so much so I worked 6 days a week all year apart from about 6 weeks where I worked only 5,this year has started the same way and the best bit of all is the 19% rate rise I just got! :cool:

How is it for everyone else?

Yes I have to admit I too have had a half decent price increase which equates to about an extra 300 a month so can't grumble at that.

I'm lucky I don't have to run around picking up to much craps as the guy I subby off has a few full time making good guys

I like doing saturday mornings if it puts a little more in my pocket,been as busy as I ever have been in 26yrs these last few yrs long may it continue people.

saleen836
02-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Another 12.5% rate increase last week so i'm happy :cool: