PDA

View Full Version : jointing knifes

kentish plasterer
25-10-2013, 09:50 AM
how do you deal with your new blades?
Just bought two new marshalltown finishing blades and cant say the blades are ready for work!
What do you do to speed up the wearing in of your knifes???? ( and dont say just use it)

haven't got time to be playing about with knifes using it to wear it in.....
Do you rub them down on a stone or wet'n'dry paper ????

taper1985
25-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I give any new knife a rub down with sandpaper to get all the plastic coating of it helps a bit but it takes time

E.K Taper
30-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Sandpaper looks like a good shout.
i knew a taper that would give his brand new trowel to the brickie/roughcaster for a day to break it in! Worked a treat he said.

amestaper
31-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Sandpaper, then a wee rub on some brickwork to remove the sharp corners. EK's brickie tip works, but I reckon it's quicker breaking them in yourself. I would break a hammerhead type 4 or 6 inch knife about once a month and found them ok to work with once the shine was gone from the blade.

sq ames taper
31-10-2013, 07:15 PM
i only sand my 6" blades to wear in, but to be honest the best way is just to keep using it, try sheetrock blades, theyre much better than marsheltown

E.K Taper
31-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Sandpaper, then a wee rub on some brickwork to remove the sharp corners. EK's brickie tip works, but I reckon it's quicker breaking them in yourself. I would break a hammerhead type 4 or 6 inch knife about once a month and found them ok to work with once the shine was gone from the blade.
Breaking in a knife once a month? Jeez, I go through 2 a year!

amestaper
02-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Breaking in a knife once a month? Jeez, I go through 2 a year!

Yup at least a blade a month, I was admittedly a heavy handed taper. They would always break at the spot where there the blade meets the handle or one inch further onto the blade at the bending point. My local merchant used to sell Richard blades they imported from Canada and I thought they lasted longer than Marshalltown.... or maybe I was less heavy handed and 4 stone lighter in the 90's?

E.K Taper
03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Haha, I was four stone lighter myself back then!:o

big g
05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
find the hyde knives are hard to beat,well balanced,light and a nice feel to them,as if their pre worn and work well right away.

thomas.savage
05-11-2013, 06:38 PM
find the hyde knives are hard to beat,well balanced,light and a nice feel to them,as if their pre worn and work well right away.
have to agree totally. a knife a month! what the fck.. sacking offence. yes indeed u should sack yourself for that. 6 months to 2 years depending on temper. come on then lets have to whos lasted the longest... i had a six that lasted for 3 years.. every day use. i know that will easily be beaten

E.K Taper
05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Lol, I'm certain I go through only 2 trowels, 2 x 6" knives and 2 x 4" scrapers a year. Probably 2 hawks as well !

sq ames taper
06-11-2013, 07:07 PM
have to agree totally. a knife a month! what the fck.. sacking offence. yes indeed u should sack yourself for that. 6 months to 2 years depending on temper. come on then lets have to whos lasted the longest... i had a six that lasted for 3 years.. every day use. i know that will easily be beaten

used to go through about 3-4 a year marsheltown, currently using a hyde 6" and had it since January 2012

amestaper
06-11-2013, 08:19 PM

They're not ornaments lol, I battered my blades making cash dude. I have antique blades in my shed, do i win?

belmoreboy
08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Which Hyde one are you guys using the hyde pro with rubber grip handle and hammer head in stainless?

big g
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
yep thats them,ive a 4 inch one and 8 inch one,got from your self.

kentish plasterer
01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Im still waiting for free sheetrock blade from belomeboy but have given up asking now :(

TonyM
02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I have 6" & 4" Tyzack taping knives that are a good 4 yrs old. I'm not taping all the time though. I bought one of those Kraft 6" all stainless knives which was horrible. I use it to scrape the floor.