PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Readymix or Powder?

SpeedtapePRO
29-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I was wondering, with advances in jointing materials, just how many of you guys use Readymix over Powder material?

What is the main reasons you choose a compound? Is it quality or is it dictated by price?

We all know things are a bit tight at the moment, so do you find yourself going for the cheaper option?

Marc

amestaper
29-06-2009, 02:09 PM
For storage purposes I prefer the bags, and only use either British Gypsum or Lafarge taping materials refusing to use cheaper materials on my jobs. Someone on this forum used the phrase 'cheap labour pays for expensive headaches' and I don't cut corners with lesser quality materials either. Used Walls and Ceilings, Knauf and others before and had problems with them.

I think the regular bags of BG Joint Cement are tough to sand and much prefer the ProMix Lite or Lafarge equivalent if moneys no object or client doesnt specify a material.

TonyM
29-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I used that Promix Lite for a while but thought it had no guts to it. Was crap for beads.

I only use Gyproc Joint Cement. If it's hard to sand - put a new sanding pad on!

amestaper
29-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I only use Gyproc Joint Cement. If it's hard to sand - put a new sanding pad on!

All those years I spent building my arm muscles up to Popeye standard while sanding Gyproc JC would wither away in no time. ;)
Sanding Gyproc Readymix was the hardest workout I ever had. :lmao:

belmoreboy
30-06-2009, 09:01 AM
anyone tried he USG plus 3 blue top - really rate it - it's fairly soft but cracking finish and really smooth as a ready mix.

SpeedtapePRO
02-07-2009, 05:24 PM
All those years I spent building my arm muscles up to Popeye standard while sanding Gyproc JC would wither away in no time. ;)
Sanding Gyproc Readymix was the hardest workout I ever had. :lmao:

Yeah I got to say that was one of the first questions I had when I started working with Artex/BG... Why make it sooo hard to sand!

A great product which could have been so much better :(

USG
28-07-2009, 08:37 PM
USG offer two Ready Mix Joint Compounds under the Sheetrock brand.

The most popular is the Plus 3 Lightweight RMJC with the 3 benefits being
1, EasySanding
2, Less Shrinkage
3, Lightweight product to work.

This compound is the No 1 product in the US, and has proven to be very successful for us here in the UK.

If anyone is interested in some Free Trial Material just let me know. :)

Then if you like it and see the benefits then we can discuss costs etc.

amestaper
28-07-2009, 11:07 PM
I wasnt aware I could buy USG in the UK.:confused:

belmoreboy
29-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Amestaper Seems my marketing is not that good !

Already ship pallets of the stuff into london, scotland and some of europe.

Ignore prices on website (single bucket price) Any serious tapers or contractors interested in bulk give me a shout for tailored quote.

Cheers

dryliner8
30-08-2009, 07:39 PM
hi, ive found best results with bg promix, doesn't seem to dry out whilst using it.

admin
30-08-2009, 07:59 PM
*** The comment on Lafarge megadeco system has been moved to it's own thread here (http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279). ***

dryliner8
31-08-2009, 09:20 AM
what do you guys think of the bg easi fill?? i only use on small jobs for 2nd coat but i know of a few lads who just put 2 coats of this stuff over fiba tape and then sand like mad!

dryliner8
31-08-2009, 09:22 AM
sorry about so many posts but weve got no work on at the minute!!

amestaper
31-08-2009, 10:30 AM
what do you guys think of the bg easi fill??

I think the stuffs ace as the 45 minute stuff lets me get 2 boxes on my work area in jigtime. I will use it for first coating flats over fibatape and corner beads when theres no spec for using the bazooka on the flat square meterage. I always use it for a first coat on the screws so the nailspotter doesnt skip like if I use regular joint filler.

belmoreboy
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
you should try the Easi fill 20 - Hilarious fun, i think it actually goes off in about 10 mins or under!

TonyM
04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
you should try the Easi fill 20 - Hilarious fun, i think it actually goes off in about 10 mins or under!

I have a bag that's been in my garage for a few weeks. I mixed up with it one day last week and by the second trowel full it was gone.:confused:

Captain perfect
05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
On a Hospital site in portsmouth we were having a few bags of BG quicksand
go missing from the pallet :nono:

So we saved up a few loads of hoover dust with added filler and decanted into a old bag.

Funny to see another gang struggling to clean out the pump & box @ 8.30am :fing02:

amestaper
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
On a Hospital site in portsmouth we were having a few bags of BG quicksand
go missing from the pallet :nono:

So we saved up a few loads of hoover dust with added filler and decanted into a old bag.

Funny to see another gang struggling to clean out the pump & box @ 8.30am :fing02:

Nice one, serves them right!:nutkick: