PDA

View Full Version : New to drywall. Painting - do I need to seal

Jason Smith
06-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi, I am new to Drywall.

After jointing, do I need to seal the plasterboard prior to painting. What would others recommend for the best finish.

amestaper
06-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Hi Jason. Give it a coat of either sealer or primer so it equalises the suction and eliminates flashing in the tapes. The best finish i saw for drywall was level 5, there is a short demo and you can look it up in our downloads section.

forestbhoy
06-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Hi Jason. Give it a coat of either sealer or primer so it equalises the suction and eliminates flashing in the tapes. The best finish i saw for drywall was level 5, there is a short demo and you can look it up in our downloads section.

But isnt level 5 effectivly just skiming the wall like plaster...can see how the wall would be the one texture, but it surely would be quicker to plaster it...?

Beermonster
07-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi, I am new to Drywall.

After jointing, do I need to seal the plasterboard prior to painting. What would others recommend for the best finish.
Use dulux fast matt first,
If u r using vinyl matt paint!! Or sheetrock sealer is good stuff and a whole bunch cheaper!!

sq ames taper
07-04-2014, 07:31 PM
johnstones drwall primer, dries solid white and is much better than normal drywall primer

currierplastering
08-04-2014, 05:02 PM
But isnt level 5 effectivly just skiming the wall like plaster...can see how the wall would be the one texture, but it surely would be quicker to plaster it...?

We do both systems. Level 5 is quicker then gypsum and superior in quality

forestbhoy
08-04-2014, 08:40 PM
We do both systems. Level 5 is quicker then gypsum and superior in quality

How can it be quicker? A wall has to have 3 coats and then sanded. It is then rolled,coated,whatever and then sanded again. Superior in quality i dont argue with, as there are some shit spreads out there who do taping jobs by bolloxing it on the wall and "just sand it flat". Being quicker, no chance. Whats a set ,3 hours....? Im ok at plastering,but have made a living at taping solely ,for almost 30 years ,so no bias towards plastering in my comments if you think so.

_

Pd67
08-04-2014, 09:18 PM
What's your go to sealer or do you prefer primer? Or do you give a thinned down contract paint followed by a fuller coat?

amestaper
08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

You may be right but he asked what I thought was the best finish.

amestaper
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
How can it be quicker? A wall has to have 3 coats and then sanded. It is then rolled,coated,whatever and then sanded again.

Watch the demo, the tapes are only first coated.

forestbhoy
09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Watch the demo, the tapes are only first coated.

God that's one of the most tedius films I have ever seen on taping :D. It does only give it a 10" box,but it also says, repeat as necessary the spraying and laying flat. Which in my book, is admitting that one coat doesn't work.

currierplastering
09-04-2014, 04:59 PM
God that's one of the most tedius films I have ever seen on taping :D. It does only give it a 10" box,but it also says, repeat as necessary the spraying and laying flat. Which in my book, is admitting that one coat doesn't work.

Well it does. It's quicker, better and cleaner then gypsum.

We spray both so I'm well placed to give a honest view.

TonyM
09-04-2014, 10:27 PM
What video was it? The Sheetrock one?

amestaper
10-04-2014, 07:17 AM
God that's one of the most tedius films I have ever seen on taping .

I will pass on your thoughts to the director lol. :)

What video was it? The Sheetrock one?

Yeah from the downloads section, I'm mobile at the moment so don't have the link.

Brian S
11-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Think this is the one Alex
http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=274

graham2012
11-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Most places I've worked only seal the walls if its wall paper that's going on, so it can be stripped in future without ruining the board. Usually two coats of decent paint does.

amestaper
11-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Think this is the one Alex
http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=274

thats it, thanks.

currierplastering
12-04-2014, 08:55 AM
http://youtu.be/pKMZ-__U6aA

This video is better

GMan
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Crown obliterating emulsion. never had a single issue

slickinfinity
06-05-2014, 04:29 AM
I do things a little different for a 5 star finish and I personally think my way is faster and leaves the flatter finish. I assume the muds used elsewhere just aren't as good as the Synko stuff I have access to here. Almost never is 5 star required for walls either if the normal 2-3 coat system is done correctly and I don't have much respect for pan+knife tapers as the trowel is just superior for perfect flat coats and the speed at which the job can be done. When I do a 5 star ceiling I make sure I get the normal process done right then I will use a grayco spray machine and have one person spray mud over flats then butts while I am troweling them with thinner than normal skim mud which runs through machine that leaves the area where screws and blank board remain and since my screws have been coated 3 times by this stage I just skim the other areas with hawk & trowel with thin mud as well to blend it all in. I don't like spraying the entire ceiling because imo doing the flats/butts first will tell you how flat your ceiling is and once its done and painted I am always impressed by its flawlessness. The main thing that makes my way quicker imo is the way I flatbox ceilings as I do the first 2 coats of butts using my 10" then the 12". The 10" down each side of the tape then the 12" down the middle and each side of the middle for a 36" wide but which flattens out insanely nice which makes a skim over the top flatter then any process I've done to date.

scottishlad
26-09-2014, 09:28 PM
We just coat with matt emulsion unless the spec says to use a sealer, moat specs state sealer to be used in bathrooms and kitchens otherwise its matt emulsion if its silk etc coat it with matt then silk on top stops flashing

prjwebb
26-09-2014, 09:49 PM
You never had trouble with boards yellowing? I've seen whole houses go yellow apart from over the joints when sealer hasn't been used.

scottishlad
27-09-2014, 12:45 AM
You never had trouble with boards yellowing? I've seen whole houses go yellow apart from over the joints when sealer hasn't been used.

never seen boards yellowing unless water damaged boards dude, been at this almost 10 years now painting and hand taping. Its always been dulux/matchmaker decent paint used I dont touch crown or johnsons its cr**. Have been back to other peoples jobs fixing things have seen yellowing in kit houses but looks asif the boards had lay damp for some time? Sealer in wet rooms bathroom/kitchens pretty much due to prices 35-45 for 10L of Lafarge sealer opposed to 12-25 for 7-10L matt emulsion just depends what client wants we've used eco friendly paints before at around 120 for 12L and some specs have stated not suitable for on top of drywall sealers?