PDA

View Full Version : Mixers and paddles

admin
20-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Just curious. What do you guys mix up with?

amestaper
20-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I use a 2 handle, 2 speed 110v German made Sparky 1100W paddle mixer. Mixes up a 90 litre bucket that holds about 4 bags without breaking a sweat. Bought from Screwfix about 3 years ago and had absolutely no problems with it. Must have a clutch or something because it has a soft start and gains speed over a few seconds. I admit I was unsure about not buying a Dewalt or Makita but this handles the job easily and I also bought a spare but have yet to use it.
If I did more plaster work, sand cement render and dot dabbing I probably would have bought a better known brand but these are fine for around the 250 I spent on both of them. Also have a couple of hand mixers and a tattie masher if theres no electricity.

Lightrock
20-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I mix with a Makita 6.3 amp 690W 1/2" drill. i have an assortment of paddles and use them interchangeably, from a cast rectangle with offset blades that mixes very fast ( good for 77L pails of texture) to a thing that looks like an aerated boat prop which is great for mixing carefully since it Never throws any mud. and a tater masher. for jobs without power.

rhardman
04-01-2010, 04:09 AM
We'll be sending a new paddle design to Tony next week for evaluation.

It's a radical thing, almost too powerful in some situations according to U.S. guys.

I'll provide an alternative design in case he needs it.

We look forward to his review.

http://74.86.189.137/products/paddles/

Nothing for sale...we're looking for more feedback.

Rick

amestaper
04-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Never seen the notch before, but this looks handy for getting all the way to the bottom of the tub over the centre nib. This will be easy to clean too, looking forward to some feedback from Tony.

I've used something similar but smaller. It was a black variation like the USG model but didnt have a twist and was unable to swivel and still mixed up in jigtime. I reckon the plastic paddles are good for mixing taping gear as they dont shread the sides of the tubs and mix crap all through the mix over time like the metal ones do.

Back to work today. Very slowly as theres a lot of snow and ice around these parts. :(

TonyM
04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I use a 1600W Freud mixing drill with a Refina 150mm whisk. Had it about 4 yrs and does well with jointing materials and drywall adhesive. When the drill dies, i'm going to replace it with the 1800W Refina. Looking forward to trying your paddle Rick.

rhardman
06-01-2010, 04:39 AM
I use a 1600W Freud mixing drill with a Refina 150mm whisk. Had it about 4 yrs and does well with jointing materials and drywall adhesive. When the drill dies, i'm going to replace it with the 1800W Refina. Looking forward to trying your paddle Rick.

Hi Tony,

I had your paddle and the creaser wheel sent out to be shipped today and the pricing came back at approx. $150 & $200.00 (plus). I'm running into the same thing shipping to Australia.

I know you mentioned the low rates you received from FedEx, but for us, they were still in that ($150 & $200.00) range. Regular mail is $50.00 which I'm happy to pay except that there are no tracking capabilities.

I'll do some more checking tomorrow to see what is going on.

Rick

belmoreboy
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Just for your info (if your mega mixer ever packs in) we buy direct from the same factory under the Alfra brand (same eibenstock motors) as refina, they just rebrand same as Alfra:

Alfra Eibenstock 1800w = 253.50 ex vat
Refina Eibenstock 1800w = 379.00 ex vat

rhardman
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Tony,

We haven't made much progress with shipping costs however we'll be sure to send you a paddle and creaser wheel anyway. They will go out Tuesday and I'll send you the UPS tracking number.

Rick

TonyM
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Tony,

We haven't made much progress with shipping costs however we'll be sure to send you a paddle and creaser wheel anyway. They will go out Tuesday and I'll send you the UPS tracking number.

Rick

Cheers Rick.

the_legend
11-02-2010, 07:06 PM
refina 1200watts 2 speed always on fast about 750 rpm would not like anything much slower, with long paddle to save my auld back.

the_legend
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I mix with a Makita 6.3 amp 690W 1/2" drill. i have an assortment of paddles and use them interchangeably, from a cast rectangle with offset blades that mixes very fast ( good for 77L pails of texture) to a thing that looks like an aerated boat prop which is great for mixing carefully since it Never throws any mud. and a tater masher. for jobs without power.
canadians always got better gear than us:rolleyes:

rhardman
19-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Cheers Rick.

Hi Tony,

We've finally come up with a solution for the mesh taper cut off blade and after I receive the anodized parts back, we will be able to send the tools I promised you.

Sorry for the delay and for the seeming inconsistency.

I have to admit that with regard to the tools, I tend to go linear not wanting to go on to other things until the issues we're dealing with are solved. My communication should have been better but I tend to go "hermit" when I shouldn't.

I'll keep you appraised of the situation.

Rick

TonyM
19-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Tony,

We've finally come up with a solution for the mesh taper cut off blade and after I receive the anodized parts back, we will be able to send the tools I promised you.

Sorry for the delay and for the seeming inconsistency.

I have to admit that with regard to the tools, I tend to go linear not wanting to go on to other things until the issues we're dealing with are solved. My communication should have been better but I tend to go "hermit" when I shouldn't.

I'll keep you appraised of the situation.

Rick

Appreciate that Rick.

theblones
19-03-2010, 11:44 PM
how does the internal application work betty

TonyM
20-03-2010, 08:00 PM
how does the internal application work betty

It's just for flat joints georgeous.

theblones
21-03-2010, 07:34 AM
thaere was a sliding corner tool on the website, can it be used with that or do you have to roll them in by hand. ffffuuk dat