PDA

View Full Version : internal paper tapes

scottishlad
22-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Ok so this old guy is using promix finish to apply and overcoat his paper tapes internals and koom tapes, is it just me or is that pure filth? Moans at us for sticking them on with BG fast set and over laying with BG fastset before applying promix to finish them he says we are wrong somehow I believe im right as there is no body nor strength in finish?

prjwebb
23-09-2014, 08:13 AM
You wouldn't put fastset through an autotaper would you? That said I know a few guys are crazy enough to.
The yanks do everything with premix compound. As long as it dries properly before the next coat its solid. You want a all purpose 'finish' that is suitable for bedding tapes though. I've never used promix but imagine it's like the gtech smartmix. The only thing they say not to use that for is bedding external beads.
Fastset is essential if you are using mesh for anything though.

scottishlad
23-09-2014, 04:40 PM
You wouldn't put fastset through an autotaper would you? That said I know a few guys are crazy enough to.
The yanks do everything with premix compound. As long as it dries properly before the next coat its solid. You want a all purpose 'finish' that is suitable for bedding tapes though. I've never used promix but imagine it's like the gtech smartmix. The only thing they say not to use that for is bedding external beads.
Fastset is essential if you are using mesh for anything though.

lol automatic tapers that sounds like swear words all hand taping here, pro mix is better than the gtec smartmix in my oppinion, so if you were hand taping yous be using a readymix instead of fast set? Big contract 5 days max to tape sand and paint all we get here is GB fastest and promix well there's the gtech bagged stuff that takes hours to go off and smartmix finish

prjwebb
23-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah if you're rushing work to fit someone else's schedule you've got to change your methods and materials to suit the job.
I don't take jobs like that. If people can't wait an extra day here and there for stuff to dry properly I don't want to work for them. Their payments never seem to be as rapid as they want the work carried out to be either.

scottishlad
23-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Yeah if you're rushing work to fit someone else's schedule you've got to change your methods and materials to suit the job.
I don't take jobs like that. If people can't wait an extra day here and there for stuff to dry properly I don't want to work for them. Their payments never seem to be as rapid as they want the work carried out to be either.

its a mad contract we have 3 + rooms 5 days for joiners 5 for painters no time for readymix drying other than final coat, not too bad some houses take a day after coated to dry some take more. Looking into machines now especially for coating The off angles over 90-150 degrees these are the worst

TonyM
23-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Promix finish. Do you mean Promix Lite in the white tubs with the yellow band, because that stuff is utter crap. It's too soft to do anything with?

scottishlad
23-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Promix finish. Do you mean Promix Lite in the white tubs with the yellow band, because that stuff is utter crap. It's too soft to do anything with?

yeah that's it Tony used to be in tall tubs then they changed them for stacking so they say now they made it lite and its watery no body and shrinks away to nothing

TonyM
24-09-2014, 05:38 AM
I bought a pallet and wished I hadn't