PDA

View Full Version : Taping, Jointing & Finishing Vs Plaster Skim Coat

thestraightstory
23-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Every contractor and home owner I know when asked thinks plaster skim coating is the better finish. Having been in some homes I would agree their Taping and Jointing looks like painted over masking tape a a bad fill, but surely they should know that you get a smooth finish when done correctly to Stage 4.
I see a lot of poorly taped houses in Scotland and I see some poorly plastered houses. Most of the plaster skims I see here are done on such tight margins that the guys have to rush to make it pay and 85-90% smooth (limitations at corners, tight areas, around services, etc) is acceptable for most owners, contractors and buyers in the middle priced housing market. Anyone think anything different or similar?
I'd rather have a good tape, joint and fill job to a mediocre skim plaster.

amestaper
23-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Having been in some homes I would agree their Taping and Jointing looks like painted over masking tape a a bad fill, but surely they should know that you get a smooth finish when done correctly to Stage 4.
I see a lot of poorly taped houses in Scotland and I see some poorly plastered houses. Most of the plaster skims I see here are done on such tight margins that the guys have to rush to make it pay and 85-90% smooth (limitations at corners, tight areas, around services, etc) is acceptable for most owners, contractors and buyers in the middle priced housing market. Anyone think anything different or similar?

I decided to leave the game in 2011 after struggling since 2008. Supply outstripped demand and rates dropped to such a low rate where I would have to work a 15 day week to match what I was earning pre 2006. To maintain the same standard of living, I would have had to tape 3 houses a week which could only be done if I cut corners. To expect a satisfactory finish from guys working their arses off competing in a race to the bottom is crazy, some sites pay less than 1 m2. I've saw painters 3rd coating the taping many times before they can even begin the decoration, and I sympathise with them because 'last man frees all' (as they say).

The wife and I considered moving house and went to see some show houses. I spotted a few screw heads had popped in a bedroom ceiling and pushed it a little, you want to have seen the sales persons face when the sheets rippled the whole length of the ceiling like some fat guy squeezing into a small sized buttoned shirt. We werent impressed with any of the overpriced cheap shit houses that are built in a few weeks tbh, and decided to extend instead.

The construction industry may take a kicking for driving labour prices so low, even though selling prices stayed high and not training enough apprentices.

Personally I prefer a plaster finish to a level 4 taping, (not a level 5 though) and plastering rates have dropped too.

thestraightstory
24-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Wise words from an experienced professional me thinks Amestaper. If you can get a good skilled plaster then I'd take the plaster skim too, but most have as you say been screwed down in price so much that they cut corners or go with a quick lick. You do loose a bit of finesse to your finishing skills if your being asked to finish is mediocre.
Plastering rates have dropped but I know if you're looking for a fine quality skim finish the price in many cases bumps up exponentially like they want to earn a months wage in a day or two.