PDA

View Full Version : How easy to use this kit?

Extremedave
20-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi, new to the forum. I have been taping for the last 10 years with a hawk and trowel etc and have been looking at hiring to start with and probably buying some new tools eventually. Had a look at gyproc tool hire and seems to be a good kit for 130 for 60 days - the premium finisher set. How easy is it to pick up, especially for doing internals and does it save enough time to make it worthwhile? I take it with this you just do the usual skrim and fastset on the flats? Would this be a good kit to get started with and maybe try the bazooka once I get the hang of this stuff? Is there anywhere better to hire stuff from also? Any input welcome, cheers Dave

Premium finisher set -
corner roller with handle, 3 inch corner finisher head only, corner finisher handle, 10 + 12 inch flat finishers, 34 inch short finisher handle, large corner applicator with handle, quick release easy clean pump, filler nozzle.

Brian S
20-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Dave
Do you know any tapers that use machines? if so see if you could spend a day with them. if not watch youtube, link at the top of page (normally
Not difficult, when you know what your supposed to be doing

Premium finisher set -
corner roller with handle, 3 inch corner finisher head only, corner finisher handle, 10 + 12 inch flat finishers, 34 inch short finisher handle, large corner applicator with handle, quick release easy clean pump, filler nozzle.

That set up will start you off nicely

In my opinion all machines save time and make things "easier" internals especially
I did the Lafarge course years ago, I didn't get on with the bazooka, mainly as I'd never be doing enough taping to get the hang of it

We bought a 7" box for fastsetting, not through the pump though, filled the box with the mud tube, easier to clean out

Good luck, keep us informed how you get on

Extremedave
20-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Cheers Brian, I know a boy who uses them and will try and get a day with him if possible, a days free labour for him! Will get on YouTube tonight aswell, possibly try to get the kit in the next few days. I did a days course on the machines but must have been about 9 years ago think it was gypsum. Will let you know how it goes, cheers

Dillon
20-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Where abouts are you Dave

Extremedave
20-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Where abouts are you Dave
I am in Falkirk, Scotland mate where are you?

amestaper
20-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Hey Dave nice to see you. Have a wee look in the downloads section, its not been updated in a while but there may be some documents or schematics in there that may interest you?

www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/downloads.php

Extremedave
20-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Hi amestaper, will get a look at that tonight cheers

Dillon
20-05-2015, 05:51 PM
I am in Falkirk, Scotland mate where are you?

Not Far away really....Devon

Pop in any time lol

Extremedave
20-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Not Far away really....Devon

Pop in any time lol
Lol will give you a shout next time I am down

Beermonster
21-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Get ur ass up to Aberdeen I will easy give u a day on the tools!;)
Prob b better u booked a cheap hotel for a few days as everyday we r doing something different!:w00t:
No scrim up with me tho but I can show u how to run the gun and boxes.

Beermonster
21-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi, new to the forum. I have been taping for the last 10 years with a hawk and trowel etc and have been looking at hiring to start with and probably buying some new tools eventually. Had a look at gyproc tool hire and seems to be a good kit for 130 for 60 days - the premium finisher set. How easy is it to pick up, especially for doing internals and does it save enough time to make it worthwhile? I take it with this you just do the usual skrim and fastset on the flats? Would this be a good kit to get started with and maybe try the bazooka once I get the hang of this stuff? Is there anywhere better to hire stuff from also? Any input welcome, cheers Dave

Premium finisher set -

Also u might want 2 speak with belmore boy as they do finance on tools now!(Marcus at Belmore Tools)
To me that would b the better bet than hiring stuff, At least u own it in the end.

belmoreboy
21-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Also u might want 2 speak with belmore boy as they do finance on tools now!(Marcus at Belmore Tools)
To me that would b the better bet than hiring stuff, At least u own it in the end.

cheers for recommendation Beermonster - often advise customers to hire for a month or 2 see how they get on then give me a call and get a finance quote - ( not just a money grabber you know!) full kit is a big investment - probably the best investment you will make if youre a taper (apart from a decent flask/radio and a van!)

After a month or so using old hired kit you will be itching to get yourself some noce shiny new tools with all the latest features.

Good thread be interested to see how you get on!

PS - you will need about a week in Aberdeen with Beermonster 2 days taping 3 days hangover! :w00t:

Beermonster
21-05-2015, 11:39 AM
cheers for recommendation Beermonster - often advise customers to hire for a month or 2 see how they get on then give me a call and get a finance quote - ( not just a money grabber you know!) full kit is a big investment - probably the best investment you will make if youre a taper (apart from a decent flask/radio and a van!)

After a month or so using old hired kit you will be itching to get yourself some noce shiny new tools with all the latest features.

Good thread be interested to see how you get on!

PS - you will need about a week in Aberdeen with Beermonster 2 days taping 3 days hangover! :w00t:
Never a truer quote!:p
Na he's from Falkirk he stand up to his neeps!! LOL

Dillon
21-05-2015, 02:48 PM
This does beg an interesting question :- Hire or Buy

I own all my tools because that's the way I have all ways done things, bought my house rather than rent sort of thing. How ever when I talk to people who rent it doesn't seem to be a bad option especially for those that don't look after their tools because when they get all manked up they just send them back for replacements. I cant just send mine back so I either have to pay some one to service and repair or I have to do it myself which I do and enjoy.

Whats your preference and Why.

belmoreboy
21-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Get asked this all the time and it's a great debate!

both have advantages & disadvantages

Hire = free replacements, less downtime. no maintenance costs.
downside - not new and not the latest spec (fetures - weight of tool - may not be set up how you like it) ongoing payment, you never own them, chance of losing deposit if damaged or stolen.

Owning Tools
Advantage - fully vat reclaimable on end of year tax return in first year of purchase
Latest spec and much lighter than older tools, the 2 major brands we sell come with 5 year manufacyurers warranty covering defective parts. ( we look after the warranty here in uk)
you own the tools and have them set up how you want them - as you say Dillon - it's good repairing them yourself as you then know what to fix if you have emergency tool break on site.
Most have good resale value even after 10 years +
Downside = cost upfront, not everyone has the funds (finance can help)

I own all my tools because that's the way I have all ways done things, bought my house rather than rent sort of thing. How ever when I talk to people who rent it doesn't seem to be a bad option especially for those that don't look after their tools because when they get all manked up they just send them back for replacements. I cant just send mine back so I either have to pay some one to service and repair or I have to do it myself which I do and enjoy.

Beermonster
21-05-2015, 05:07 PM

I have always bought my tools!
I have a gun that sits in water 1 year to the next unless 1 of my others breaks down! (Its 20+ years old)
Renting would have just been a waste of cash really!
Every1 thinks that tools need lots of maintenance but they really don't!
Blades,cables and really not a lot else!:D

Extremedave
21-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Get ur ass up to Aberdeen I will easy give u a day on the tools!;)
Prob b better u booked a cheap hotel for a few days as everyday we r doing something different!:w00t:
No scrim up with me tho but I can show u how to run the gun and boxes.
The last time I was working in Aberdeen I came back owing ma boss lol, had a few good nights out tho!

Extremedave
21-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Belmore boy, do you only sell or do you hire tools out aswell? Will definately get a price off you if I am going to buy a kit

Extremedave
21-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Never a truer quote!:p
Na he's from Falkirk he stand up to his neeps!! LOL
Lol can still drink plenty but hangovers kill me now - old age creeping in. I will be up your neck of the woods later this year for the Kevin bridges gig!

belmoreboy
22-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Belmore boy, do you only sell or do you hire tools out aswell? Will definately get a price off you if I am going to buy a kit

Only sell - Artex ar e the best fpr Hiring if you want to try - if you have (or if we have) convinced you to buy finance is a good route - low rate over 3 yaers for full set works out at aroung 100 per month

give me a call we can get you some rates and sort out a deal. - Have a good long weekend everyone - Im off to Wembley to hopefully see my team Norwich City promoted to Premier League (C'mon you Yellows!)

Dillon
30-01-2016, 03:51 PM
In conclusion this week I finally bought a Bazooka its a Tapetech and as per the advert used only once, the guy didn't like it at all so didn't use it again then changed jobs so I bought the Taper the pump and gooseneck so I don't have to keep swapping.

Now I just have to learn how to use the bloody thing, I have had a go with one but that's it. Im sure I will figure it out (I'll have to wont I) its just how long it takes.

Beermonster
31-01-2016, 07:31 AM
In conclusion this week I finally bought a Bazooka its a Tapetech and as per the advert used only once, the guy didn't like it at all so didn't use it again then changed jobs so I bought the Taper the pump and gooseneck so I don't have to keep swapping.

Now I just have to learn how to use the bloody thing, I have had a go with one but that's it. Im sure I will figure it out (I'll have to wont I) its just how long it takes.
I have 2 blueline(Tapepro) guns and a Columbia!
Had a shot of a tapetech gun a few weeks ago and I hated the thing! It was near brand new but it was a pig of a thing 2 run!
But they r all dif so stick with it as u will get used to it!

Beermonster
31-01-2016, 07:32 AM

I have 2 blueline(Tapepro) guns and a Columbia!
Had a shot of a tapetech gun a few weeks ago and I hated the thing! It was near brand new but it was a pig of a thing 2 run!
But they r all dif so stick with it as u will get used to it!:D

Dillon
31-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks Mate I heard you the first time :D