PDA

View Full Version : Mixing bonding/joint cement (alternative to hand mixing or generator)

dnbdan
12-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Hi guys.

Im just about to finish my taping and jointing apprenticeship.
Up till now, been using the gangers genny and mixing drill to knock up.
Due to go off on my own with another lad soon and we've been given a mixing wheel/mud masher
to knock up by hand. But it takes to long and does my head in. I've looked at getting a genny + drill
but I'm not earning enough yet to go splash out on some of the tools I need. I've seen a dryliner with a petrol mixing drill. Does anyone know where to get one? Or an alternative? I can afford about 200 at the min. We've been taught the old school (ex plasterer) way and that hawk, trowel and everything manually.
great if you don't want to spend money or earn descent money.

Cheers lads

Beermonster
13-01-2016, 07:42 AM
I have a petrol drill that's not used for years! I use Makita cordless drill now!
Still makes a petrol drill I think.

dnbdan
13-01-2016, 03:49 PM
I have a petrol drill that's not used for years! I use Makita cordless drill now!
Still makes a petrol drill I think.

Hi mate,
your petrol drill still in working order?
Was thinking about getting an 18v battery operated makita drill but I don't think it's man enough for mixing up? How do you find yours?

Beermonster
14-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I've no idea if it still goes!
I use Makita 18v 3 speed drill but don't use it on 3 as u will burn it out!!
Only problem is they have stopped making the 3 speed! And ur mixer u use can b a problem for bat drill!
There r a couple Stihl petrol drills on Ebay!

TonyM
17-01-2016, 12:00 AM
I have a 22v Hilti battery drill that I mix joint filler and ready mixed joint cement with no problem. I only use my big mixing drill for drywall adhesive and powder joint cement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnbdan
17-01-2016, 09:02 AM
I have a 22v Hilti battery drill that I mix joint filler and ready mixed joint cement with no problem. I only use my big mixing drill for drywall adhesive and powder joint cement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I use all the powdered stuff, like knauf adhesive and BG joint filler. Don't use ready mixed stuff.
Ill just bite the bullet with the shitty mixing wheel for the minute until I can afford a genny and drill.
Got to spend money to make money in this trade I guess lol

thanks fot the replies lads

Dillon
23-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Hi Mate I see your in Exeter I don't know what your problem is, for 200 you can get a second hand Genny and a drill. In fact I have a Genny for sale 50 Its my spare and will run any drill and sanding machine. A mate of mine who bangs out 3-4 houses a week just uses a normal drill with a whisk that he got from ebay for 30 and it still keeps going. I go past Exeter every week so if your interested give me a call 07768265898.

dnbdan
23-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Hi Mate I see your in Exeter I don't know what your problem is, for 200 you can get a second hand Genny and a drill. In fact I have a Genny for sale 50 Its my spare and will run any drill and sanding machine. A mate of mine who bangs out 3-4 houses a week just uses a normal drill with a whisk that he got from ebay for 30 and it still keeps going. I go past Exeter every week so if your interested give me a call 07768265898.

Hi mate. Has your genny got both 110 and 230v plug ins? And still in working order? Like starting first pull etc?

Dillon
23-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Yes to all three I used to use it all the time then I acquired a better one so its been sat in the garage as a reserve.

dnbdan
23-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Yes to all three I used to use it all the time then I acquired a better one so its been sat in the garage as a reserve.

ill drop you a txt mate