PDA

View Full Version : Works gone quiet hasn't it.

dnbdan
16-03-2016, 04:42 PM
How's everyone finding it with work? We're proper quiet. Had only one plot in last couple weeks.
Rest of time been doing make good work and garage ceilings and shit.
I know a few tapers who are really quiet at the minute. Anyone know why this is? Struggling to sell the houses they've already put up or?

Beermonster
16-03-2016, 04:51 PM
How's everyone finding it with work? We're proper quiet. Had only one plot in last couple weeks.
I know a few tapers who are really quiet at the minute. Anyone know why this is? Struggling to sell the houses they've already put up or?
Yup same up this way!
Doing a bastard of a house just now with vaulted ceilings everywhere but its work as nothing else coming in!!
Thought it was the oil crash up here but not so sure anymore!

thomas.savage
16-03-2016, 05:13 PM

yes i know why it is.. nothing is selling so the builder wants as little cash tied up in unfinished plots as possible and they can do that because leaving guys at home who sub contract does not show up on their balance sheets.they dont report it to the markets and it does not show up in the unemployment figures.

the buy to let market has driven a lot of what s been built and that is slowing down, the government is stalling in negotiations with the house builders when it comes to social housing too(been going on for years). the euro vote dont help as its a cloud of uncertainty too.

slowing building down costs billions in tax receipts to the exchequer though from our lost earnings but the government is too dim to see this..

that's the broad out line, it should be the busiest time of year from now till june, my work's been shit since november. oh and the contractors will now be fighting each other for contracts and the only ones who lose out is US.. fcuking bunch of cnuts, the house builder will be fine, the contractor will protect their margins by cutting our already shit rate and rip off measure.

another reason you should find something else to do...

this is why the uk housing market is contractor\ sub contractor based and not employment based. if the companies had to report these labour lay offs (that what is happening) to the market there would be a run on their stock and they would go bust.

the mass market big firm building game shows the first signs of shit storm coming, just like 2006. best lube up and get ready to take it in the arse.

Beermonster
16-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Tesco here I come!!!!

thomas.savage
16-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Tesco here I come!!!!
yea guys up in scotland have had it good with prices for our job, much better than down here but with the oil money going your fcuked just like us.. lets all huddle together for warmth..

dnbdan
16-03-2016, 07:33 PM
yea guys up in scotland have had it good with prices for our job, much better than down here but with the oil money going your fcuked just like us.. lets all huddle together for warmth..

There has been talk of another recession possibly coming our way. I know a lot of big companies have made redundancies and are looking to cut even more. Meant to be the biggest housing boom in god knows how long and it's all now starting to slow right up and stall. All the big sites in south west, seem to have stopped putting frames up now. My mate who works for clarkson and Evans had main foothold up cranbrook, made some nice money, was thinking he was gonna get hill Barton and clarkson didn't win the contract! Been told he's got no work for 6 months, so he's off to Thailand lol. Construction game seems to be a very fickle mistress. As you tom should be busy this time of year, so all the big companies like persimmons meet their sales criteria by June.
Oh dear

thomas.savage
16-03-2016, 07:58 PM
There has been talk of another recession possibly coming our way. I know a lot of big companies have made redundancies and are looking to cut even more. Meant to be the biggest housing boom in god knows how long and it's all now starting to slow right up and stall. All the big sites in south west, seem to have stopped putting frames up now. My mate who works for clarkson and Evans had main foothold up cranbrook, made some nice money, was thinking he was gonna get hill Barton and clarkson didn't win the contract! Been told he's got no work for 6 months, so he's off to Thailand lol. Construction game seems to be a very fickle mistress. As you tom should be busy this time of year, so all the big companies like persimmons meet their sales criteria by June.
Oh dear
oh well, not noticed a boom since 2006. we are already in recession infact. its just wont show for a bit and even then they hide it.

dnbdan
16-03-2016, 08:29 PM
oh well, not noticed a boom since 2006. we are already in recession infact. its just wont show for a bit and even then they hide it.

very true

fr8train
16-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Where are you folks located? Plenty busy here in Central PA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.K Taper
16-03-2016, 10:15 PM
The UK fr8train! I'm busy as fk, by the way!!!

fr8train
16-03-2016, 10:17 PM
I just realized what forum I'm in. I use tapatalk to keep all my stuff like this in one place. Thought this thread was in contractor talk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sq ames taper
17-03-2016, 05:03 PM
The UK fr8train! I'm busy as fk, by the way!!!

Im busier now than i was before the recession, partly because there isn't as much guys doing the job, not complaining though

Beermonster
17-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Got 2 jobs into price today so maybe will look up! Guaranteed 1 of them but the other is an extension with a bit of plaster work which is not a problem but it puts the cost up f*cking about old to new!
Been like this for a while up here, There is f*ck all or houses coming in so fast u have to turn them down!

dnbdan
18-03-2016, 06:33 AM
I Should of got into painting. There's always work painting. If there isn't shitty site work, there's always loads of domestic, schools, shops, businesses that need doing.

DMC
21-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Absolutely swamped right now, working 6 days a week, don't see a break in it either

thomas.savage
21-03-2016, 05:56 PM
well i did 3, 2 beds last week and have 2 big three stories this week but that's not swamped.. for me anyhow. there definitely is something afoot.

Dillon
25-03-2016, 10:22 AM
I just started my first house in five weeks because of all the bish bash bosh merchants out there taking all the work. Mind you the boarder made such a pigs ear of it I will have a couple of days daywork putting it right again.

dnbdan
25-03-2016, 11:51 AM
i think I can count the number of plots I've been in where there has been descent boarding on one hand

thomas.savage
26-03-2016, 04:14 AM
i think I can count the number of plots I've been in where there has been descent boarding on one hand

as long as its flat and clean i dont mind... gaps are easy to fill (fold scrim over length ways and coat up one side before internaling.. 20 second job)

what gets me is screws proud in the internals and tapered edge in the wrong place on angle , that's every plot i do.. fcuking retards! "lets do a boxing and put the tapered edge on the internal" lets put them on the inside of the window but against the frame... lets put them on the window head but against the ceiling line not the window head... every plot. fcuknuggerts!

dnbdan
26-03-2016, 05:12 AM
Hahaha
Proud screws do my head in and definitely tapered edges the way you described. The amount of walls we've had lately where there's been a huge step on the joints, mainly walls on the stairs.. Where we've had to almost practically 'skim' half the wall to get over the step and make it flush
probably the chippies fault more then the boarders as the battens or frameworks probably out of plumb. Never bother removing the board/s to check.

Dillon
26-03-2016, 05:50 AM
Do you know what Tom we must be brothers that's exactly what I do with top gaps, and tapered edges against windows, ceilings and corners is a real piss off. The other one is huge gaps under window cills, BTW is it me or are they getting lower I find myself on my knees to tape the gap.

thomas.savage
26-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Do you know what Tom we must be brothers that's exactly what I do with top gaps, and tapered edges against windows, ceilings and corners is a real piss off. The other one is huge gaps under window cills, BTW is it me or are they getting lower I find myself on my knees to tape the gap.
you should be used to being on your keens, working for poisoned dwarf and all.. ;) gaps under window cills, well they can fcuk off as i only top under there.

for really shit gaps when the board dont meet and its BIG, reverse a metal angle tape into it. sorted in one min. the fold scrim method is fine most of the time, this saves you filler too!. beware just folding the scrim and not filling though as this can lead to internal tape not adhering to plasterboard.

big gap on your angle? boards dont meet to make the corner? put two lengths of scrim either side meeting up in the corner like the board should of done! takes 20 seconds and you can put your angle on as you would do normally, so no pre fill.... (this requires some skill when putting the angle on though lo as effectively its ' floating' until its set.) it works.

prjwebb
12-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Do your own boarding if you can. You can guarantee its done right and you can stay on each job twice as long

saleen836
12-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Gone quiet? been flat out for past couple of years and the site i'm currently on want 110 units by October!

Dillon
13-04-2016, 05:52 AM
Need any Help

thomas.savage
13-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Need any Help
Well I was in a big high and 5 boxes of angle bead 4 bed today, had to work 7 hours to get it up to finish coat. ...

must be busy! Got 4 units to try and do this week, 3 3 beds and that shit 4 bed. Still won't be working beyond 2 pm should all be done by mid day sat. Over 30 hours this week! WTF ;) my poor fat belly...

Dillon
13-04-2016, 04:47 PM
You and me both mate I started a big 4 bed yesterday and could have finished it today but the one next door isn't quite ready so I will just top the internals tomorrow then start next door, might even get both done by Friday so 2 in 4 days WTF went wrong there. Problem is there is only 1 more after that until June/July so I will be on the hunt again.

thomas.savage
13-04-2016, 05:02 PM
You and me both mate I started a big 4 bed yesterday and could have finished it today but the one next door isn't quite ready so I will just top the internals tomorrow then start next door, might even get both done by Friday so 2 in 4 days WTF went wrong there. Problem is there is only 1 more after that until June/July so I will be on the hunt again.
We are working way way too hard! We deserve a cider! Or 5 !

now I got to get up and go to the fridge..FFS!

D&g tapera
18-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Any guys in Manchester or Peterborough way looking for work...

Dillon
18-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Sorry Mate Im in Devon

dnbdan
18-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I'll work up that way, if you pay me in hookers, cocaine and cigars :)