PDA

View Full Version : Gyproc Joint Cement doesnt smell of roses

amestaper
14-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I've been meaning to add this topic for ages. I kept forgetting until I popped the lid on a tub I mixed up on Monday and didnt get the chance to use until this morning. The compound turned black and it now reeks like something died in the bucket. Sulphur methinks?
Any scientists or chemists on here who can say whats up with BG brand materials because they dont 'keep' like they used to?

Lightrock
14-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Maybe I am going to hijack the thread in the first reply but my tangent is 'what can I add to the mud to create the ultimate time-bomb?' Something which will react over time to create remorse in the unfortunate who opens it... my worst ever: mixing mud with pond water. In rural Canada we often needed more water for the job than we brought with us, so I would be dispatched off to a lake or standing body of water to get more (this most often happened at lake cottages)
hymns about living water aside, the mud mixed with pond water had a head start on mere chemical decay. When we came back days later, a week even if there was no rush, the mud had evolved to a point where they had apparently developed arts, culture, warfare and apparently mass graves... that is what it smelled like anyway.

what are you mixing your mud up with?

the_tapeinator
14-08-2009, 08:54 PM
when in times on need i used pure sterile, unadulteratd, lightly salted , *** to make Yellow fast set
now hold that thougt for a wee moment longer,
:rolleyes:
:o
:cool:.
.now can you guess what i used yet? :hijacked:

Lightrock
16-08-2009, 04:33 PM
nice, and this liquid supplies it's own tint and a backup scratch and sniff locator for those touchups?

kilwinkie
18-08-2009, 01:45 PM
This is normally only found in ready mix compounds. It is usually caused by contaminates getting in at the time of manufacture or poor storage ie being left in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

:confused: What kind of people are you! P*@#ing in compound, Wiping your arse with broken bottles are all tapers Nuts :eek:

amestaper
18-08-2009, 05:17 PM
:confused: What kind of people are you! P*@#ing in compound, Wiping your arse with broken bottles are all tapers Nuts :eek:

Msot of us dnidt sitck in at shcool.
We're all peculiar in one way or another, I've never met an ordinary taper yet Kilwinkie! :p

the_tapeinator
18-08-2009, 11:04 PM
are all tapers Nuts :eek:Er. Yeah of cours ehow did you think we can do this job?

amestaper
19-08-2009, 06:47 PM
This is normally only found in ready mix compounds. It is usually caused by contaminates getting in at the time of manufacture or poor storage ie being left in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

Now you come to mention it, I think the sink I got my water from was tank fed rather than off the mains and that mix was left in direct afternoon sunshine for 4 days. :o It still smelled like shit and wasnt nice, 2 tubs had to be skipped.

saleen836
27-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I believe the reason it starts to smell after a few days is BG are not putting in any anti-fungal stuff

E.K Taper
28-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I mixed a bucket of BG on the monday but got sent to another site till the Friday, then came back on the friday lifted the cement to use on an extension on the saturday morning. The customer came thru when I was mixing it up again and thought I'd shat in the corner, such was the smell!
Knauf was the same but I heard those dastardly Germans use ground down animal bones in it . Anyone heard of this one?

The Taping Store
02-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Sounds like there may be a problem with the Biocide in the compound, as water is used the manufacurers use a biocide to slow down the organic matter decaying.