PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or is it getting even more quiet on the workfront

phil
26-08-2009, 09:41 AM
i have noticed a downturn in work again towards the end of this month, even some of the contractors i usually work for are calling me asking if i know of any work. this is my 19th year as a spray painter, taper etc, and i aint known it so bad. We are working but nothing like it was last year, when does everyone think its going to improve, some clients are saying they aint doing anything until next spring. Nightmare.

Maybe if this site has visitors from the big boys USG Knauf etc, they could train us all up so they know we are working to their standards and start posting leads on here so we could all quote on the ones in our area. Using their gear of course. I am sure that they have enquiries all the time.or if USG / knauf etc have had their products specified and they need a paint spraying company to come in and finish the job off using their products they could inform people on here, just a hint hint like. or would that be a bit too much like the masons, maybe we could form our own handshake, or have some overalls made with one leg shorter than the other.

amestaper
26-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Take my word for it Phil, its not just you. Its survival of the fittest, and I've heard stories about some tapers working for unheard of before rock bottom rates. Desperation from the workers and greed from the developers will damage the building trade. Do you really think it will be easy to push those square metre rates back up again once the recessions over and consumers are used to stupid unsustainably low prices?? It may keep the roof over your head short term, but do you think all these guys are happy at their workplace busting their arse for a pittance? I think not!

Just simple supply and demand. Too many out of work tradespeople + not enough jobs = Chaos.
Ive refused to drop my rates and staying clear of the housebashing helped me do that.

This month Ive only had 2 smaller taping jobs, I keep getting rained off some outdoor painting work I have stockpiled, and a larger commercial job is repeatedly held up. I was meant to start this in April ... groan.

A subcontractor who worked for me even went behind my back to a client in January and undercut my prices to take work off me. This is the hardest test I've had in business, and nothing surprises me anymore.

Im sure theres also some masons who are poor and penniless just like the rest of us and what you may be looking for will be in the members area. Have you checked out the classifieds jobs? You can also leave an ad in there if you like.

PS. Some of the big boys do read this forum Phil. See the members list under community on the navbar to see who some of the members represent. If you want to give them any feedback then this is as good a place as any to say it.

USG
26-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Phil,

We are always keen to build up our data base of tapers/contractors who can use our systems and products effectively.

If you want to be considered then give me a call

We currently have @ 60 large drylining contractors using the system nationally and they are always looking for recommendations from us for skilled labour

Whilst i cant promise you anything theres no harm in having your details

The same goes to anyone else out there interested in working alongside USG

the_tapeinator
28-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Batten the hatches lads prices are nosedivin towards the pound a metre mark. stop the fecking pricewar now!!!.

Captain perfect
01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Batten the hatches lads prices are nosedivin towards the pound a metre mark. stop the fecking pricewar now!!!.

We have cut down on are labour force by 75%, But are still achieving the same meterage rate but having to get over a lot more extras FOC

We are still waiting on a large hotel which was ment to start in April.
Shop fit outs is the way forward, As every other one on our high street is empty!! & needing a full walls & ceiling job :)

Amby DW
27-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Like to think ive been lucky as i got out of housebuilding 3 years ago after almost 15 years and got into Commercial sector just at the right time as it was booming and have kept really busy and managed to keep my small but loyal guys working none stop .
On the Downside ive also lost between 4/5 really good tradesmen that i was able to call on as the Housing sector died over the last year and was unable to offer them work all have now left the trade .

amestaper
18-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Getting many more emails and my phones been burning my ear with guys looking for work over the last fortnight. Somethings afoot I think?

DMC
19-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Th firm i doing some work for have layed of 15 painters/tapers this week, they told them that it will be next spring before there is an upturn, and a very slight one at that. Doesnt look to good

JON RAMBO
19-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Batten the hatches lads prices are nosedivin towards the pound a metre mark. stop the fecking pricewar now!!!.thats great news carnt wait pound a meter sounds great!

JON RAMBO
19-10-2010, 08:34 PM
sorry lads never been busier site works booming looking to take more men on

amestaper
19-10-2010, 11:13 PM
thats great news carnt wait pound a meter sounds great!

Why would that be great news?

happytaper
19-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Im from ireland and i really dont think it can get any worse. Working for peanuts at cheap rates is bad enough on top of having to beg for a cheque at the end of it. Shit rates inevitably give rise to bad standard of work. Normally got good rates on fit outs but now everything has gone to bits. There is work out there but by the time you deduct running costs and taxes i sometimes wonder whats the point? Ive had guys going bust going missing not answering and the builder i had recently got in with who had stuff coming up has gone missing owing many subbies so it looks quiet on the run up to christmas. Australia is looking like an option. Cant see any change soon.

amestaper
19-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I know 2 families that are selling up and emigrating there soon. Its crossed my mind many times.

happytaper
19-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Cant really blame them with the way things are these days. Id mis home though its where everybody is. Never thought it was a thing id comtemplate but it is seriously on my mind but i dont think herself could leave her cushy government job and her mother- id probably have to take her too-what the hell i might just go it alone!

JON RAMBO
20-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Why would that be great news?

80p a meter is the most iv earned so pound a meter is good news to me.

TonyM
20-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Your customers are taking the piss. If someone offered me that, i'd find out where they live and do a shit through their letter box.

DMC
21-10-2010, 01:10 PM

You do know that slevery was abolished a while back. That rate is beneath contempt,

prjwebb
21-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't see how it's even possible to make a wage on 80p p/m! Labour only i'm assuming, but even still...

JON RAMBO
21-10-2010, 07:25 PM
it used to be 60p and we dont get paid for bead work either

saleen836
21-10-2010, 11:34 PM
i guess I have been lucky this year with work as since January I have been working 6 days a week for most or that time and some weeks 7 days, today I received a call confirming the start date for me to start taping a 66 bed nursing home (all fully coved also) + a youth centre next door, estimate it will see me right for around 4 months, I start on Nov 10!

E.K Taper
23-10-2010, 01:39 AM

Is it Community Service? They're having a laugh, Jon, no one could pay those rates and keep a straight face

Amby DW
23-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Very busy at the moment not sure about next year but do have stuff in pipeline just nothing signed .

crack filler
23-10-2010, 11:25 AM
find its coming in spurts all or nothing at the moment, manic for a couple weeks then dies off

saleen836
23-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Is it Community Service? They're having a laugh, Jon, no one could pay those rates and keep a straight face
I have seen a of taper on site who worked for a flat rate of 110 per day labour only, he was a hand taper and did work hard, that works out to be around the 60-70p per metre I guess, he also still got a days money if he finished at dinner time.

amestaper
23-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I have seen a taper on site who worked for a flat rate of 110 per day labour only

Seen guys up here doing a shift for about 50. (My comment) ---> :suicide:

TonyM
23-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I have plenty of work up to Feb/March at the moment, but enquiries are few and far between. Have taken Thursday, Friday and this weekend off, (could've worked), because I can't be arsed to drive 45 miles to and from work. Hopefully will feel differently on Monday morning.

DMC
24-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I have worked lined up til the end of January, but nothing else after that. even prepared to go back to the painting if needs be.

Amby DW
24-10-2010, 08:40 PM
how do u get access to vacancies forum as i may be in need of some tapers/painters in glasgow asap with poss work right up till christmas

amestaper
24-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Send me some details by PM and I will advertise for you as the password was changed recently. Everyone with 30+ plus comments can access this area.

turktown taper
25-10-2010, 08:41 PM

who the fu*k do you work for !! bdl !!
bet your boss dont even wear a mask when he robs you !!!

Brian S
31-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Busier than we have ever been, just started a big contract in Plymouth

Brian

Very little taping involved though

TJ Dizzy
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Sounds like we are all in the same boat i'v just gone on price work but because my boss finds the work and surplise the materials he takes a 20% cut when i finish a house, i'v just finished off 2 flats today but i still dont no how my im going to get for them i asked my boss today and he said he didnt know (mmmmm) but i was speaking to a few of the tackers and stickers today and they said the prices were really bad and id probley be looking around 170-200 per flat which has taken me 2 days each + I'v got lumbered with my bosses labour which is completly usles and took a hole day to sand down 2 small flats, and my boss has put him on 50 a day so after havin to drive a round trip of 80mile to the job and back 15 petrol and paying the labour i a tad stuck lol but any ideas on what i should be exspecting for one 1 bed flat and a 2 bed flat? I think i might give this up after xmas and go into a 9-5 job at least it will be garenteed work and payed holiday and sickness..

crack filler
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
It does sound like your boss is taking the piss a bit, ask him how much a metre your on, without seeing the flats it hard but I would have thought you would be looking at a little more than double than what your getting.

TJ Dizzy
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
well just phoned him and yay iv got rid of his labour so im 50 a day up already lol theres another jointer that works with us when we get behind and hes in tomorrow so il ask him what hes getting, the othere jointer did say he only got 300 for an average 2 bed house on the site, I really dont think its worth sticking this job out.

crack filler
01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
The jobs worth sticking with just maybe have word with other contractors. Dont want to patronise you but do you know how to measure the flat or house, you can work out how much a metre you on from that, take into consideration the material but a lot of the guys on here range from 2-3 a metre work out from there wether you should leave taping at Xmas or leave your boss.

Tredelerch Taping
02-11-2010, 05:27 AM
I look to hit between 300 - 500 per day regardless of plot size,finish one and start another even if it means travelling.Some days you just have to take the rough with the smooth,done a couple of soundcoats last week at 28 per wall,2 years ago i earned 45 for the same size job.We have had upto a 40% cut over the last few years.So i do more hours and can't get nowhere near what i used to earn.
One thing you can be sure of though before i start is finding out the price,otherwise you're just asking for a let down.

JON RAMBO
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I look to hit between 300 - 500 per day regardless of plot size,finish one and start another even if it means travelling.Some days you just have to take the rough with the smooth,done a couple of soundcoats last week at 28 per wall,2 years ago i earned 45 for the same size job.We have had upto a 40% cut over the last few years.So i do more hours and can't get nowhere near what i used to earn.
One thing you can be sure of though before i start is finding out the price,otherwise you're just asking for a let down.
who the fcuk are you wayne rooney! i think you'v hit the 000 key to many times lol:rolleyes:

E.K Taper
02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm busy busy right now between site work and extensions, etc. If the extensions side of things gets much busier hopefully i can give up the site work. fingers crossed !

cleveland steamer
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
we've all had/have good days, but 3-500 bucks every day?on houses?

Tredelerch Taping
03-11-2010, 05:03 AM
This week i'm doing a 3 and a 4 bedder.Started 3 bedder yesterday and finish by dinner today (680),start 4 Bedder (870) tomorrow and finish Saturday morning.Cash job Friday and Saturday afternoons.Put the hours in and don't get distracted,also keep a monotonous system going.Oh yeah forgot to mention the 3 bedder i taped on the weekend.Monday i've got 12 soundcoats at the crappy price of 28 each.
I get up early and work all day!!

cleveland steamer
03-11-2010, 09:01 AM
good on ya my man.i wasn't suggesting it cant be done.having a nice littlen run of tesco express' and other commercial work at the mo.340 m2 on tesco express last weekend.and 570m2 of partitions last week.next tesco in swansea just started.all at 3.50 m2.make hay while the sun shines.coz it could easily come to a grinding halt.gonna hit the swansea job in the nights.no one in the way.everything in there taped full height to 5 metres.

been afunny year.started this year on 8 an hour patching on a refurb!!!!!quickly went to 10 then 12.50 per hour.but kept the wolves from the door.picked up other work around it and a lot more commercial work came in.and the last 3/4 months have been mental.taught myself to skim on the refurb and have picked up small things on the back of that.

but experience has taught me that a purple patch dont mean shit.keep at it.keep pitching.keep fingers crossed.and hope it doesnt dry up.

JON RAMBO
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
This week i'm doing a 3 and a 4 bedder.Started 3 bedder yesterday and finish by dinner today (680),start 4 Bedder (870) tomorrow and finish Saturday morning.Cash job Friday and Saturday afternoons.Put the hours in and don't get distracted,also keep a monotonous system going.Oh yeah forgot to mention the 3 bedder i taped on the weekend.Monday i've got 12 soundcoats at the crappy price of 28 each.
how can you tape joints & internals, bead,10",12",nail spot,final coat beads and nail spots,corner box and sand dry the next day it doesnt make sense?:confused:

saleen836
03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
how can you tape joints & internals, bead,10",12",nail spot,final coat beads and nail spots,corner box and sand dry the next day it doesnt make sense?:confused:
He has 6 legs and arms! ;)

E.K Taper
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Come on mate, no-one likes a smart arse, how many Poles do you have working for ye ??????

prjwebb
05-11-2010, 09:07 AM
who the fcuk are you wayne rooney! i think you'v hit the 000 key to many times lol:rolleyes:

Hahaha classic