PDA

View Full Version : Dust control joint compound

amestaper
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
I read a couple of articles on this stuff tonight and wondered if anyone has hands on experience working with a dust control compound? When you sand this down it bonds into clumps and falls straight to the floor instead of hanging in the air and choking anyone in the nearby vicinity. For tapers who still use a sanding pole this must be a godsend surely. Got opinions or reviews anyone?

Dust control joint compound

USG
04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Amestaper,

thanks for raising the subject.

This is a USG product - anyone interested visiting the website please visit - www.downwithdust.com (http://www.downwithdust.com)

The idea is simple - when you sand your joints the dust drops into a neat pile at the base of each joint, and doesnt become airbourne. The product is also easy to sand and shrinks very little.

This product has been available in the Uk for @ 2 years with limited success, predominantly down to lack of awareness, and everyones historical use of powder products.

As always if anyone would like to try some just give me a call or send me a reply

Lightrock
22-02-2010, 04:39 PM
In fairness, I should try it on job that I do start to finish. so don't take this as typical:
I have only used it once, and then because I took over a job from a hack who used it to fill his cornerbead joint deficiencies which is a tricky job to fix at best, and not a good place to try new products, but it was what he had on site and the homeowner wanted me to continue to use it.
i find its similar in texture to a mixture of blue mud and latex caulking and about as easy to sand. I am not tempted to hand sand it again. i found it built up in the paper, tended to round off instead of planing smooth under a hand sander. I thought it might be alright if aggressively sanded with a powersander. It did fall straight to the floor, but i am not a fan.

belmoreboy
22-02-2010, 05:32 PM
This product has been available in the Uk for @ 2 years with limited success, predominantly down to lack of awareness, and everyones historical use of powder products.

Not for the want of trying Michael !