PDA

View Full Version : Is spraying bad for your health

phil
16-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I have been looking at the different spray systems on the market and the american ones concern me. having read the safety sheets they appear to have all sorts of nasties in them such as Crystalline Silica (gives you cancer) formaldehyde (cancer) Etylene Glycol (lung problems) and all sorts of other nasties. now i know that on the safety sheets they say its ok if you use such and such a filter, but surely they shouldnt be selling these in the UK, Do the products from USG or Knuaf and Sto have these nasty chemicals in them. The world health organization classifies spray painting as a Carcinogenic trade. I am sure that the large companies should be a little more informative if they have stuff in their products that is going to make me grow a second head in ten years from now. some of them have chemicals in them called APEO's and if these chemicals go into the water it causes fish to change sex, that sounds like really healthy stuff.

we try where possible to use Low VOC waterbased products however i dont know if the level-5 system by USG or the Knauf system are low VOC. most people just concentrate on what the products can do rather than what they contain, which is now more important than ever.

TonyM
20-10-2009, 09:51 AM
They say that Gypsum is the new asbestos. Lets hope it's not, otherwise we're all done!

thepainterman
13-12-2009, 07:01 PM
If you wear the right kit you're ok e.g respirators,etc.

I've seen tapers coming out of a small room using electric sanders and I couldn't see them when they were in due to dust,no mask either!

I've told architects where to go when I see the dreaded to half moon type symbol the container(Carcinogenic) when a suitable lower risk material is available,I don't do Carcinogenic materials.

Wearing good dust maks etc,changing clothes after sanding all helps reduce any risk...up to the individual.

DMS
16-12-2009, 04:10 PM
spraying joint cement ie: pros spray etc. does not pose a problem as the product does not particulate into the air. if you are spraying paint use a respirator. Also do not turn your machine on full blast as all that does is cause it to hit the wall harder, paint atomizes at a different pressure depending on the ambient air pressure, humidity etc. you should be sprayin at the point when the paint just begins to atomize (between 1200 and 1800 psi)