PDA

View Full Version : How fast

jimbo1873
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
How fast can one man tape a three bedroom house and still make a good job?

3.5 DAYS
4 DAYS
5 DAYS
7 DAYS
9 DAYS

Lightrock
05-11-2009, 04:26 AM
well. what is the humidity and how big is the house actually? is there heat? I am taping a 2 bedroom house, after a week, I am only JUST done the tapes, and barely half of it is 2nd coated.. but its a 13 000 sq ft of drywall with 16' sloped ceiling in 4 of those rooms.. i spend most of my time climbing scaffold and swearing under my breath.
Now give me a 3 bedroom bungalow, say 900- 1200 sqft of floor, and I would have it beaded and taped in a day... usually 3 coated and sanded in 6 days ( 2days idle to dry), and i usually get back to texture in another week when the paint has cured a bit.

amestaper
05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
3 bedroom house you say? Many other factors you should consider are how high are the ceilings? I agree with Lightrock, scaffolds will seriously hinder any work you do on a price (especially if you constantly have to keep putting up and taking down in each room every time you add a coat - I do these jobs on an hourly rate) Are there any cooms involved, are you sharing a house with other trades, is there water, power, and materials at hand, any backfilling and banging in screws before you begin, is it on the job spec to apply a coat of primer/sealer and was the house sheeted by Stevie Wonder etc?

In an ideal world I can tape between 500 - 600m2 and put up 150 linear metres (5 ish boxes) in 5 days with good drying conditions but this is Scotland and theres less downtime and better production in taping 2 houses at once at this time of year:)

TonyM
05-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Generally, a standard 3 bedroom house on an estate is going to be in the region of 300-350 square metres of taping. That's 3000-3500 sq feet for you chaps on the other side of the pond. If the house is fully coved and a sealer is not required then to get to sanding stage is 2.5 to 3 days work for 3 coats. Like Alex says, 5-600 metres is a fair weeks work.

2buck
18-10-2010, 03:42 AM
4 to 5 days,average work hours,,, six hrs,and not sweating

Goodmanatee
18-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Average 3 bed.
2 man team
2 1/2 days jointing.
1/2 day to rub down

jimbo1873
18-10-2010, 03:53 PM
you guys are so much faster than me makes me think you have tricks i don't know i did a store and a half house 450meters paper tape 120 meters metel took 11days 7 hours days 1nd 1 day 12 hours to prime and thats me going at it working hard what the f*** my doing wrong ???????

TonyM
18-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Well here's one for you. 2 men tape a 2 bed house 2 coats in a day (1 coat bonding, 1 coat cement) . Rub down in 2 hours and seal in about the same time. The finish is rough as f***, mess all over the floor and they get away with it and get paid. Whereas my mate working next door takes 4 days or so, does it properly and gets thought no more of.

amestaper
18-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Let the tools do the work and dont be fussy until the final coat goes on. Have you considered spending some time doing pricework in a crew because theres always something new to learn, adding strings to your bow. I bet you're also leaving a cracking finish if you take all that time.

So hypothetically speaking if a builder is considering subbying a taping job to one of 2 people, one such as yourself who takes pride in their work and the other rushes and possibly makes a cnut of it, I know who I would give the job to.

Dont be so hard on yourself.

amestaper
18-10-2010, 05:40 PM
4 to 5 days,average work hours,,, six hrs,and not sweating

Average working day is 6 hours? Canada here I come.

crack filler
18-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Well here's one for you. 2 men tape a 2 bed house 2 coats in a day (1 coat bonding, 1 coat cement) . Rub down in 2 hours and seal in about the same time. The finish is rough as f***, mess all over the floor and they get away with it and get paid. Whereas my mate working next door takes 4 days or so, does it properly and gets thought no more of.

this happen all the time on site makes you wonder why bother they are normally off earning money while somebody else is putting there mess right, having said that me and my mate we are an easy day and half in your average 3 bed.

2buck
21-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Average working day is 6 hours? Canada here I come.

it is when your approaching fifty ,but average drive time to a job is a hour or more,so theres 8 hours

E.K Taper
23-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Average 3bed = best part of 3 shifts.
Fiba tape, fast set and beads day1
10", 2nd coat beads and fully angle tape day 2
12", finish coat beads andfinish angles day3
If I got time on day 3, I do the coving too

crack filler
23-10-2010, 08:53 AM
sorry misread this was for one person I was,nt trying to be flash, me by myself about 2 and a half hand jointing

jase hag
08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
i say take your time and get it right.more work will follow.PRIDE.

Mark'the'Taper
18-01-2011, 09:10 PM
CORRECT! I take 4 days to tape average 3 bedroom house but can do two houses in 6-7 days(not including sanding).

keco drywall taper
24-01-2011, 06:49 PM
average three bed house, 3 days , working alone.

1st day , 1st coat celings n walls ,nails and corner flex
2nd day , 10 inch , gun angles,2nd coat corner flex,
3rd day, 12 inch ,finish flex tapes then butterfly angles,

but prefer too work between, 2/3 houses at once

David Alston
16-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Standard 3 bed takes me and my partner 1 day. Thats done to a T in 8 hours,back for sanding and another 1,1/2 hours. Still not using all machine tools.

Dobietaper
16-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Standard 3 bed takes me and my partner 1 day. Thats done to a T in 8 hours,back for sanding and another 1,1/2 hours. Still not using all machine tools.

thats really fast:fing02:
what about drying time between coats?:sneaky:

Dobietaper
16-03-2011, 05:52 PM
its 5 days 4 me with sandin

E.K Taper
16-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I reckon he is double coating wi fast set but how do you get 2 coats velvet on internal angles in the day? Heaters?

drywall guy
16-03-2011, 06:19 PM
We need photos !!!!!!!!!!!

amestaper
16-03-2011, 06:27 PM
You want quick? Just found these old comments about a contractor that does it all in one day.

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php/400-DRYWALL-Your-project-done-start-to-finish-in-ONE-day.

The first link our old admin mentioned in post 1 is now a pumpkin, the second one still works though.

Mark'the'Taper
16-03-2011, 06:38 PM
No offence david but it doesn't matter how many tapers you put in a 3 bedroom house, 1 day is unrealistic.....it doesn't matter if you have a salamander heater in every room, you must spend at least that time snagging it afterwards! if you put 3 coats on any tape in one day you are asking for trouble.....a lot of the work i fix is after squads who take 1 day to tape it.

Dobietaper
16-03-2011, 06:43 PM
how do you get 2 coats velvet on internal angles in the day? Heaters?
1 coat easy fill and 1 velvet :fing02:

amestaper
16-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I have never seen this done but it must be like working in the Congo, surely? And there are photos on that contractors site I mentioned btw.

ProbeGT
16-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I did the 3 coat in 1day thing a few times.

When I was using Georgia Pacific mud. as soon as i was in the house i applied paper tape with my seringe. allowed 2-3 hours to dry then 1 coat with the 10" flatbox

after my work day (about 10 hours) i could go with the 12" flatbox. Result was impeccable.

BUT, there's a BUT. It was in dead heat summer, very very dry condition, i had 5 fans in the house. Contractor was like "WTF!?" the next day lol but he was surprised by the quality.

I can't do this anymore because Georgia pacific changed the mud's recipe and now it sux bad. Just like all mud companies, once they got the good recipe, they change it. But i could only do flats and screws in 1 day, everything else had to dry for the night. anyway, after a 12 hours day, all you want is to go home.

Mark'the'Taper
16-03-2011, 07:06 PM
5 days with sanding sounds better to me than 1 shift wonders....i know who i'd hire between you and dave alston!

crack filler
16-03-2011, 07:09 PM
To be honest I have done houses in a day don,t like doing it but prices the way they are sometimes you have no choice, and sometimes its the site agents pulling the strings, if your not out they will fill it with jobsworth chippys, the way I have done it is to filler first coat and half filler and half cement the next then cement.

ProbeGT
16-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I didn't say i could make a house in a day. I said it's possible to tape and finish flat joints in a day when you use good stuff and have the right conditions.

I wouldn't care if you don't hire me, i have work the 2 years comming and all my contractors are very happy with the results. It's the same thing with the electric sander. People say it's a POS because they simply can't use it properly and do a decent job with it. The thing has a learning curve, like all drywall tools.

ProbeGT
16-03-2011, 07:13 PM
To be honest I have done houses i a day don,t like doing it but prices the way they are sometimes yo have no choice, and sometimes its the site agents pulling the strings, if your not out they will fill it with jobsworth chippys, the way I have done it is to filler first coat and half filler and half cement the next then cement.

Didn't it make bubbles? I tried that a few times but always had bubbles on the final coat. Told the contractors they'd have to live with the fact that it takes at least 3 days to finish a house.

crack filler
16-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Didn't it make bubbles? I tried that a few times but always had bubbles on the final coat. Told the contractors they'd have to live with the fact that it takes at least 3 days to finish a house.

yes there were a few air bubbles, other than that no real problems, but would prefer to be paid the correct amount and do it correctly, and be treated like a important finishing trade, I could go on but ranting now lol

David Alston
16-03-2011, 11:32 PM
I thought i was being quite modest,most of the tapers i know do the same speed and the same good quality job,mind we were all from the same core of tapers that started this lark years ago. There is chap on here called Tom Savage who is quicker than the rest of us and i see him do a house 3/4 bed on his own in a day. We all work for reputable companys and nobody has to come back and titervate our work. Thought to what was said earlier,site managers do not give you more than a day a lot of the time anyway. Another poser for you all....... in other countries they have a minimum metre rate,im trying on a few fronts to take this forward,any suggestions would be most helpful,we cant go on as its going,it needs to rise with inflation,there are ways to do this but its using the right channels.

TonyM
17-03-2011, 05:31 AM
I thought i was being quite modest,most of the tapers i know do the same speed and the same good quality job,mind we were all from the same core of tapers that started this lark years ago. There is chap on here called Tom Savage who is quicker than the rest of us and i see him do a house 3/4 bed on his own in a day. We all work for reputable companys and nobody has to come back and titervate our work. Thought to what was said earlier,site managers do not give you more than a day a lot of the time anyway. Another poser for you all....... in other countries they have a minimum metre rate,im trying on a few fronts to take this forward,any suggestions would be most helpful,we cant go on as its going,it needs to rise with inflation,there are ways to do this but its using the right channels.

I'm selling all my tools and getting a job in a supermarket.

grok
17-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm selling all my tools and getting a job in a supermarket.

me too can you get me a start ..... when i was house bashing all the time me and my mate were quick but a 3/4 bed house in a day no way .... and we used to box the filler first coat ..... not saying it can't be done by the way .. you must be a millionaire David A....

cornerbox
18-03-2011, 02:44 PM

I would like to see a photo of your finish and do you work for 0.75 p H?

Dobietaper
18-03-2011, 07:04 PM
i work wi 1 taper months ago hi was doin 2 bed flat in 2 days with sandin then painters spend another 2 days on snaggin
"Painters can catch that " that was his motto hehe

scottishlad2k10
18-03-2011, 10:10 PM
just 3 bedrooms? or 3 bedrooms....... kitchen..... bathroom utility? cupboards???

a 3 bedroom house could be taped in a day easy...... if you had a few guys....... but youd still have to come back the next day & sand the place.......

last 3 bedroom house i done 3 bedrooms finished in 2 days fair size plus effffing kooms!! hate them! but then there was the bathroom kitchen and livingroom..... 7 days work including sanding on my tod with my hand tools no fancy shiza like the boys on here have :fing02:

TonyM
06-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I started a 3 bed house on Monday and will be all jointed up tomorrow, so that's 4 days to joint (3 coats). Will be leaving it to dry on Friday and possibly Saturday too, because the floor screed only went down a couple of days before I started so there's lots of moisture about. It'll take 2 days to sand and seal it, that's with cutting in too, scrape sills, floors, and sweep up ready for the painter. So 6 days to be done properly.

jase hag
07-04-2011, 05:48 AM
I started a 3 bed house on Monday and will be all jointed up tomorrow, so that's 4 days to joint (3 coats). Will be leaving it to dry on Friday and possibly Saturday too, because the floor screed only went down a couple of days before I started so there's lots of moisture about. It'll take 2 days to sand and seal it, that's with cutting in too, scrape sills, floors, and sweep up ready for the painter. So 6 days to be done properly.
thats how it should be done mate,these tapers doing it in 1 or 2 days are just letting the side down.

Brian S
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Jase, the problem lies with the rate being paid.
If your only getting 1.30 supply and fit, including corner tape, 6 days on a house means your earning peanuts.

The other problem is "they" (site managers) still expect a level 5 finish for that money:mad:

crack filler
07-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Jase, the problem lies with the rate being paid.
If your only getting 1.30 supply and fit, including corner tape, 6 days on a house means your earning peanuts.

The other problem is "they" (site managers) still expect a level 5 finish for that money:mad:

I think we are mostly all in agreement to do the job properly is the way Tony decribed, but that luxury is not available to all of us, I finished a small 3 bed today which I started yesterday (the boarder finished tuesday night) tomorrow it will be full of other trades which means sanding after its 2nd fixed again not the way to do it, I will probably have a very small window before the painter starts, all this even though in the contract it is written that the drylining trades will get two weeks to complete. My point is a lot of tapers are being forced like Brian said to do the job in a way they do not agree with

ducatster
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
well said Brian & crack filler,my mate & I have just thrown the towel in at the olympics because it was getting like that, skirting fitted before the ceilings were even boarded!!!, everywhere is getting like this now because the pri**s in charge have no on site experience or concept of how much work you have to do for a crap weeks money let alone try & make a decent living from the game

if you try to explain why you cant work like that they just smugly reply "you guys earn to much anyway"!....yer as if!...1.80 with paper tape,primer,6 by 3 sheets on all ceilings & working on podium towers with hats,glasses,gloves,boots & hi vis on all day & without a radio!! oh yer not forgetting loosing between 3 & 4 hours a week having safe start meetings & toolbox talks, I'm just glad we got out of there before this lovely sunshine turned the bg joint cement into concrete...lol

the only way to sort it is to wash your tools up & hit the road!

incidently, as much as it hurts me to say this, after going back to using paper on all the flats with the bazooka for the last 6 months I have to say it is a far better job but dose add a few hours to your week though so if your house bashing forget it! haha

Goodmanatee
08-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Are BAM the main contractor?
Health and safety mad!

ducatster
19-04-2011, 04:33 PM
no the whole olympics is controlled by... bovis lend lease... & each building has its own main contractor then trades subbed out in the normal way but it just so happens that my site was bovis & I was subbing from measoms, I'm not slagging measoms off though as they are a good company but they were a victim of circumstance!

chris oz
22-04-2011, 05:18 AM
in france we have 2 hour set mud 4 hour 6 hour 8 hour and gdx that takes 24 hours but is very fine so no sanding = 3 coats for fine work working with stilts and bazooka and mesh is illigal must use tape so how can you work for so little prices im staying this side of the pond

scottishlad2k10
22-04-2011, 04:13 PM
i work wi 1 taper months ago hi was doin 2 bed flat in 2 days with sandin then painters spend another 2 days on snaggin
"Painters can catch that " that was his motto hehe

ah a typical case of arseholes............. im a painter to trade usually we do all the taping too but if were too busy the plasterers do it............ the ones we work with are shite at plastering........... spend days..... just spent weeks snagging their work....... then they do the taping...... one coat fast set one coat finish...... they dont sand they sponge which is a shite finish for painting.......... and we end up baisically skimming everything theyve done...... its a sickner and they deserve to be castrated.....

some days id happily go to jail for murder...... :mad::fing02:

amestaper
24-04-2011, 02:44 PM
This topic was meant to be about how fast the job takes but kind of floated into a paper versus fiba tape debate.

All these posts have been moved to their own thread at
http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php/1222-Paper-versus-fiba

Please start another if the topic of conversation goes astray rather than hijacking the thread. Thanks :whistling:

Kenya get over this
13-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Just came across this thread.Incredible.

Finishing a 3/4 bed on your own ready for sanding in a day??!! Impossible. (to a good finish anyway)

No way can you 3 coat all beads,internal tape,corner finish,and 3 coat all joints to an acceptable standard.

Bearing in mind your scrimming,cutting beads,mixing up to all be included.

I would LOVE to see some of these houses that have been done in a day.:crying2:

fwiw it would take me 3.5 days jointing with daily coffee and fag breaks,and half a day to sand. I'd leave the job satisfied with the quality and wouldn't expect any call backs.

Dillon
14-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Just came across this thread.Incredible.

Finishing a 3/4 bed on your own ready for sanding in a day??!! Impossible. (to a good finish anyway)

No way can you 3 coat all beads,internal tape,corner finish,and 3 coat all joints to an acceptable standard.

Bearing in mind your scrimming,cutting beads,mixing up to all be included.

I would LOVE to see some of these houses that have been done in a day.:crying2:

fwiw it would take me 3.5 days jointing with daily coffee and fag breaks,and half a day to sand. I'd leave the job satisfied with the quality and wouldn't expect any call backs.

Your so funny not to mention incredably slow. Im a dinosaur and can be do them in a day and a half. And to date ive not had a call back thats because my finnish meets the required standard. Dont judge others by your own standards.

Kenya get over this
14-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Your so funny not to mention incredably slow. Im a dinosaur and can be do them in a day and a half. And to date ive not had a call back thats because my finnish meets the required standard. Dont judge others by your own standards.

Maybe if your spelling was as good as your jointing I might be able to believe you. :)

Seriously though,unless you mean 3/4 ROOMS then I'm still not having it I'm afraid. I'm certainly not the best taper in the world,or the quickest, but what you claim just is not possible.

I've worked for a firm with over 100 blokes and none of them would be able to do a 3/4 bedroom house in a day.

Your either cutting major corners,or your standard is no where near the required standard that is required by Persimmon,Wimpey,etc.

A 3/4 bedder contains roughly 10 rooms inc top and bottom hall way.

In an 8 hour day that's about 50 mins per room to scrim,cut beads,flat tape,beads on,10 inch,2nd coat beads,internal tape,12 inch,top coat beads and corner finish.

If houses could be done in a day,wouldn't we all be doing it?

Dillon
14-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Maybe if your spelling was as good as your jointing I might be able to believe you. :)

Seriously though,unless you mean 3/4 ROOMS then I'm still not having it I'm afraid. I'm certainly not the best taper in the world,or the quickest, but what you claim just is not possible.

I've worked for a firm with over 100 blokes and none of them would be able to do a 3/4 bedroom house in a day.

Your either cutting major corners,or your standard is no where near the required standard that is required by Persimmon,Wimpey,etc.

A 3/4 bedder contains roughly 10 rooms inc top and bottom hall way.

In an 8 hour day that's about 50 mins per room to scrim,cut beads,flat tape,beads on,10 inch,2nd coat beads,internal tape,12 inch,top coat beads and corner finish.

If houses could be done in a day,wouldn't we all be doing it?

Firstly you right I carnt spell but I can do a 3 bed in a day and a half, today I sanded the two I did last week and on Friday I will sand the one I did on Monday but to be fair that was a two bed, I don't cut corners I do 3 coats on everything. TBH I could tape a 3 bed in two days by hand. I know its hard to believe but I too am slow the guy I work for/with is much faster ad also neater than me and Im sure there are even faster out there. Like I said this has all been done before but its true, I have absolutely no reason to lie to you. Your more than welcome to come and watch. You go on about scrimming and cutting bead but that's what 40mins and a very small part of the day, I generaly have 1st coat on by noon and 2nd coat on everything and 3rd on the flats by the end of the first day, then top of the rest on the 2nd morning.

Where are you, come and watch or help.

Kenya get over this
14-08-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm in the East of England. I can't come and watch,some of us have too much to do during the day :)

Fair play to you then,I just think something doesn't fit.

Dillon
14-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I know what you mean and trust me I had the same conversation with the guy I work for, I would rather take 3/4 days to do a house but they just wont wait and if you carnt do it then they get some one who will, today the painters were waiting outside my door as I swept out on both plots and I guess they both have a mist coat on tonight. It aint right but that's how its done. TBH in house bashing if you carnt do 200sq/m a day then you wont make it.

Dillon
14-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I took this last Thursday playing with my new phone its the lounge of a 3 bed. Feel free to pick fault. If I remember I was on one that day and didn't stop till about 3pm then just finished the nail spots leaving me with the internals for an early finish Friday.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/Dillon200/work_zpsb9ede239.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/Dillon200/media/work_zpsb9ede239.jpg.html)

mcfc
14-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I know what you mean and trust me I had the same conversation with the guy I work for, I would rather take 3/4 days to do a house but they just wont wait and if you carnt do it then they get some one who will, today the painters were waiting outside my door as I swept out on both plots and I guess they both have a mist coat on tonight. It aint right but that's how its done. TBH in house bashing if you carnt do 200sq/m a day then you wont make it.

You are dead right. If I don't tape my houses in a day and a half I get told to leave site, same as if the quality goes down. I am seen as a slow taper, so I work longer days. As for coffee/lunch breaks they have gone too. Working this way makes sure I have work all the time. I have seen good tapers not get anymore work because they take 3 days to tape a 3bed