PDA

View Full Version : The price of taping materials?

flemo the trowel
24-11-2009, 04:05 PM
What is the average price of velvet at the moment,and what are you all paying for flex tape as well as fast set as every time i go to the merchants everything has gone up but we are all expected to cut our prices to get the jobs were will it all end :suicide:

TonyM
24-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I have just had some excellent prices for USG products through Encon, and flex etc. got some samples to try and if they're any good, i'm changing over from BG.

amestaper
24-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Pure velvet by Lafarge? I have fond memories and bloodshot eyes from sanding that stuff. They dont make it anymore flemo.
Have a wee peek at the GTEC line of materials http://bit.ly/4DI7Fv

I've sampled 2 different types of GTEC ready mix from Lafarge recently as a local merchant sells it. I used it for patching as it dried white and sanding was a dawdle mate. Paid about 15 a tub if I remember correctly.

No doubt prices will go up again in the new year. Joint cement costs me 15.50, joint filler 5.75 and flex tape 12.00. Kill your merchants with kindness and consider buying them a gift for Xmas, that way they will hopefully give you their best prices available. Works for me because I've only bought 25% of the materials I used last year and my prices are still fixed (fingers crossed) even though I dont have enough work on to buy a palletload at a time these days. :)

Good clients, work aquaintances and merchants get a good bottle of whisky from me and I honestly wish them and their families good health and prosperity at Xmas. Notoriously slow paying customers also get a less expensive gift I hope they choke on. Just kidding about my last remark, Im only choking :eek:

amestaper
24-11-2009, 05:59 PM
got some samples to try and if they're any good, i'm changing over from BG.

I got some samples, its great stuff but I cant buy any USG materials in this area. I didnt have enough gear to finish a job I was on and had to revert to BG. One room ended up with a hybrid mix of the two materials coming through the pump while boxing.

I want my local merchant to stock the product as I dont need a palletload at a time.

coastaldrywall
24-11-2009, 07:24 PM
i am paying 8 for flex, 5.40 for gyproc joint filler, 7.88 for easy fill and im getting wondertex joint cement for about 11 a 25kg bag, have tried the sheetrock equivillent to easy fill and its great to use and great to sand as well, these prices are what im paying at CCF

flemo the trowel
30-11-2009, 06:49 PM
They are very good prices were is ccf ?

Paul the plasterer
30-11-2009, 10:24 PM
A was over in Arran working a few weeks back and ran out of fast set , The only thing we could get was easy-fill 20 a bag :( Were getting the gtec ready mix for 14 a tub at our local builders .Its easy to sand with a pole but its day are numberd:fing02:

saleen836
04-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Had a letter in post today from my main supplier, as from Jan 2010 material prices will increase by approx 2.8% :( I was expecting it but if they drop labour rates anymore it wont be worth going to work!

thepainterman
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Had a letter in post today from my main supplier, as from Jan 2010 material prices will increase by approx 2.8% :( I was expecting it but if they drop labour rates anymore it wont be worth going to work!

Vat increase on 1st of Jan will also add to that :mad::mad::censored:

saleen836
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Vat increase on 1st of Jan will also add to that :mad::mad::censored:
Not bothered about the VAT as I get that back.

secret squirrel
22-12-2009, 07:04 PM
They are very good prices were is ccf ?

CCF have branches all over the UK - quick google search will throw up your local branch.

TonyM
22-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm going over to USG products. BG is getting too expensive, and never really got on with Lafarge or Knauf.

amestaper
22-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm going over to USG products. BG is getting too expensive, and never really got on with Lafarge or Knauf.

I would have switched ages ago........ if I could buy any nearby where I live. :nono:
Ive already raised my concerns to USG. Basically I'm stuffed unless I buy a palletload at a time. So, Im spending my cash elsewhere buying BG & Lafarge GTEC until the Bluetop is available in this part of the world. (Tapping my feet impatiently smilie unavailable)

secret squirrel
23-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Don't your clients specify what you are to use?

USG
23-12-2009, 06:18 PM
For you guys in Scotland - the USG Sheetrock material will be available through a leading paint merchant hopefully by the end of january 2010.

Hopefully this will make it more accessible to you all in scotland

rockie robinson
10-05-2010, 05:30 PM
if you get a good size job try opening an account direct to wondertex . they will mix & match , what i mean is you have to buy a tonne of materials it could be so many filler & so many joint cement it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is a tonne !

What is the average price of velvet at the moment,and what are you all paying for flex tape as well as fast set as every time i go to the merchants everything has gone up but we are all expected to cut our prices to get the jobs were will it all end :suicide:

christaper22
18-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Im paying as follows, all Gtec/lafarge

Fast set: 3.81
Joint cement 10.65
paper 2.05
scrim 1.64
flex 7.09

Which is very cheap compared to my last supplier, was using BG qucksand and they put that up to over 18+ vat

rockie robinson
20-05-2010, 06:04 AM
chris .
this is the mobile number for the wondertex rep i deal with
paul :-07917235415
i get my flex , paper tape , scrim & beads from yorkshire hardware
john :-07929405402
try ringing both see what deals you come up with
if you pm me i will give my name to drop into conversation :rolleyes:

Im paying as follows, all Gtec/lafarge

Fast set: 3.81
Joint cement 10.65
paper 2.05
scrim 1.64
flex 7.09

Which is very cheap compared to my last supplier, was using BG qucksand and they put that up to over 18+ vat

christaper22
21-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Used to use wondertex but most sites im on now specify lafarge or bg